Summer Weather in Your Garden

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

New thread for the weather here.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice day expected around here today. 72°f. We got a little sprinkle last night. Dead headed my peonies this morning.Waited four years for this thing to bloom. After you get by the funk/stink of the first day it is a pleasure to enjoy something so unusual. Dracunculus Vulgaris

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Mike, that is one odd looking plant................... does it only stink the first day?

Karen, I know what you mean about random requests on FB.... I have had several lately from people I have NEVER heard of, and they don't have any mutual friends. I just ignore them.....

We had a rain front come thru yesterday and it was SOOO nice yesterday evening. I did some painting at my parent's former house - I have a LONG way to go on restaining the outside, but it was mid 70s with a light breeze and it was such a refreshing change. I got up there about 6:30 and ended up painting until almost 9. It was a very nice change from the scorching temps of last week. It is in the mid 80s so far today, but looks like a chance of rain again............. but the humidity is down and that helps SO MUCH!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hot here , humid not a bunch of anything going on , (ahhh )(Big sigh)

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Love that Voodoo Lily, Mike! I love unusual plants. If I could, I would have one of those giant Corpse Lilies.

We we're in the mid 80's yesterday, got a thunderstorm in the evening. It what's hot and humid, but I got a few things done. I trimmed the bush, made a bunch of labels for the potted plants that I'm selling, did some watering cleaned up one of my sales areaa.m.

Glad you got some cooler weather, Genna.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Hot, Windy, Hot, Windy, HOTTER, Windier in Rio Rancho!

No rain in sight and the state is burning down

Here is a nice shot of the sunset seen from my back fence.

Thumbnail by l2le
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It was gorgeous here yesterday 75 with a nice breeze. Supposed to be almost identical here today. I am loving the cooler temps. I can get so much more work done outside. Certainly can't do it when it is hot and humid.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, they SAID it was supposed to be similar weather yesterday but it was a LOT hotter. 90 degrees...... so instead of trying to paint again, I went to visit my kids at Super Summer (church camp). I went early and had supper with my SIL and did some catching up with her and then went to the worship service at SS last night.... got home LATE! but, it was worth it....assuming I am able to stay awake today ^_^

That sunset is gorgeous! Sure hope you get some rain soon! I was hoping that some of the rains they were talking about in Colorado would head your way................

I am with you Cindy! I can get SOOO much more done at 75 than at 95! Especially since everything I have is in full sun!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I know, most of mine are in full sun too and the older I get, the more I can't take the heat.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

More heat and sun and wind.....Same ol' Same ol'

Supposed to be in the upper 90's all of this week, with no rain in sight!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice sunset Linda! I hope the fires stay away from your place. That hot weather must really wear you down.

We were 75 here yesterday. I got a long walk in with one of my clients along the Plymouth waterfront. Too bad I was working. I would have loved to have been in my garden.

I have plenty of shade as well as plenty of sun. Obviously my shades beds get a lot more attention when the weather is hot.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I have a small area to the far end of my yard where there is a small patch of trees. I told my husband the other day when it was upper 90s and humidity about the same that I am thinking I should get into shade gardening!!! I don't have much in the trees really, a few dogwoods, and I planted some rododendrums last year but despite almost constant watering they didn't survive the summer heat. :( For those of ya'll with wooded areas....how on earth do you deal with planting things in all the roots. That is one reason I have shyed away from the shade gardening is all the roots I have to contend with when I do plant something over there........................ but in my mind, I can see this beautiful little oasis of flowers. We already have a swing in that area.........would be nice to develop it into a nice garden retreat........

Was hoping for some cooler weather this weekend - but it is super muggy again, and calling for temps in the mid 90s :( I REALLY wanted to finish my bed this weekend. We will see how long I can hold out in the heat..................

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Upper eighties around here the next few days. We got a little rain overnight. I am sure I will be watering this weekend. Watered a little yesterday morning so that should cut down on what need watering. Mulch, Mulch, Mulch!!!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It's going to be humid and upper 80's to 90 for the next 3 to 4 days. Weatherman is predicting scattered thunderstorms each day also.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Karen, I don't know if you are following the "daily blooming" forums or not, but a few of the ones I got from you are blooming! They are soooooo pretty.

AGAIN...some things don't change as we are upper 90's all week, pushing 100 on Thursday and still no rain in my section of the state. Windy today and probably windy most of the week too. They call it the "windy" season here. I could sure do without it. In fact, I HATE the wind.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh ,and 90's for us all week, also, with chances of showers every day .. wow , humidity .. humidity ... plants love it .. me I will sweat it .. oh well . At least this year is nice and green ,, maybe me too by the time it gets comfortable again ..
Ever dream about a perfect year or season ? lol I must be ,,, going that way or something ?

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Upper 80s'+ (ACK)...another rainstorm last night..wish we could collect water and send it across country to folk who need it. Some streams overflowing and flooding houses.
Daylilies just showing buds. Lots of bugs

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

90 here right now. Not humid but way too hot to be working in the garden. Glad I watered yesterday. They are saying thunderstorms but it is always hit and miss in our area.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

It was hot and humid today. I don't know what the temp got up to, but it sure felt like about 90. In spite of the heat, I got some work done. I got my back sales area all cleaned up, and I potted up some more plants to sell. I did a lot of watering of my potted stuff also. I had my signs out in front and at the beginning of our street today and yesterday, and sold $70 worth of plants. The money will go for potting soil and whatever else I might need for my gardens. I seriously need some more decorative concrete blocks to finish a small retaining wall I'm making. Small as in short in height, only 2 blocks high, but not small as in length. I'll have my signs out again tomorrow. Wish me luck! I need a big load of wood chips, too. I use them in my sales areas and on pathways through my gardens. What I would really like is to have all blasted granite stone pathways like in the picture I'm posting here, but that's a lot of money. I still have to finish this one, and I do have enough stone to do it, but I've been so busy doing other things.

Genna, I don't have a problem with tree roots in most of my shade beds. I dig in the beds and take out small feeder roots. Eventually more grow back, and off and on I plant more stuff in the beds and dig out more roots, or renovate and dig more roots. The trees and plants seem to coexist nicely together, in spite of root competition. I know there are certain trees that won't support much plant life under them. Pecans are one, and beech trees. Maples are tough to grow stuff under, especially the Norway maples. I don't like the Norway maples. Too invasive. Seeds have a 100% germination rate.

Genna, all can say is put in some more trees for some shade beds. Kousa dogwoods are great. Oaks are wonderful, if you don't mind the acorns, but they're slow growing. Ash is good if you don't get the ash borer. Flowering cherries are wonderful, especially the weeping kind. One tree I just love is the Dawn Redwood. I have the one called 'Ogon', which has chartreuse foliage, and boy does it stand out, and it's a fast grower. I'm including a pic of that one, too, so you can see how nice it is. The pic was from 2 years ago. It's a lot bigger now, and even more spectacular.

Linda, I haven't had the chance to check out everyone's blooms lately, as I've been too busy. I'll see if I can take a peek tonight. Most of the ones I got from you have buds. Can't wait for them to bloom. Our season is just getting started with the early ones. The extra early ones are done now.

LOL@ juhur7 and your "perfect season"! Yes, I dream about it, but alas, it's just a dream. Besides, most of the daylilies need the heat to open well. I don't like the heat and the accompanying humidity, but they sure do.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wish I could sell daylilies from my house but we are in the city so I can't. Last year though our city started a farmer's market and I probably could rent a space and sell some there.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

My daughter was telling me about a girl in Little Rock who is selling homemade goodies at the Farmer's market........... didn't know you could do that in our state. But, I know several people sell plants at the FM around here - bet you could do really well selling DLs there!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

My wooded areas are FULL of roots! I remember from some of my ag classes that I don't need to dump large amounts of dirt, etc on top of the roots - that it needs to be a slow process so as to not smother out the feeder roots and kill the tree....... but I have thought about adding piles of grass clippings, etc in that area to see if I can slowly building up some soil so I am not trying to dig into huge tree roots to plant. The longer I stay in the sun - the more enticing that shade are becomes! :)

Love that tree Karen - never heard of those so not sure they will live here but it sure it pretty!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought the tree was very pretty too. I have not heard of them either. It's going to be another hot day near 90 today. They are prediciting rain every day with the heat but we didn't get any yesterday. It's always hit and miss in our area. It either goes north or south of us usually.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Been hot here too! So hot that I havent accomplished ANYTHING in my yard........ I have some things inside and out that I desperately need to finish because my daughter and I leave for a mission trip to Brazil on July 5. By the time we return, July 14 - there will be NO HOPE of accomplishing anything outside because temps will be pushing 100 everyday! YUCK!! We are headed into mid 60 - 70 degree weather with temps in the upper 40s - low 50s at night.......we are NOT going to want to come back!! LOL

I still have about 15' to go in putting down cardboard and mulch in the far end of my foundation bed, plus lots to reclean in my circle bed because I didn't get mulch down and the grass has taken over again.......... :( I know there is no way I will get it all done before I leave. It is just toooo hot in the afternoons by the time I get off work and get home. but maybe I can make a small dent. I guess the remainder will just have to wait til fall! :(

Now, if my son can just keep things watered while I am gone so I don't lose everything!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh that's neat going to Brazil. At least it will be winter there so probably not as hot as here right now. Hope you have a great trip!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks - this is mine and my daughter's first time out of the country (not counting my trip across the canadian border 35 yrs ago for a day trip!) so we are both excited and a little nervous. My husband has been about in panic mode because of the protesting going on down there- but I think all that will cease when the soccer tournament down there ends on June 30......

The weather will be good down there - will just be scorching hot when we come back! But, it is not the best time to be gone for my plants..... I just hope my son can get everything watered regularly...... he is very dependable so I know he will try his best. Just with my husband working out of town - it is going to fall to him to take care of the pets and the plants...... he isn't used to having to do it all by himself! LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hot , humid , yep it's summer.. Never been to south America ,Lot's of other places though . Once in while too many ...

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Farmer's market is a good idea, hemlady. I wanted to do one here, what the one that is on a Sunday on one of my days off already has to plant vendors, and the guy who runs it is one of them. He said it would be too much competition, even though the two vendors there shell most everything but daylilies. There are about three other farmers markets that I know of in the area, but they are on a Wednesday or Thursday, and I work both days. So right now I'll just have to settle for selling my daylillies at home.

Dawn Redwoods are from China. They were once thought to be extinct. They are deciduous conifer. They loser needles in the winter like bald cypress do. They turn a rust color in the fall. I also have a Larch, which is also a deciduous conifer. The foliage is a little more bluish green, and turns of war yellowish brown color in the fall. Both the Dawn Redwood in the Larch are beautiful trees.

Genna, have a great trip to Brazil. I'd love to go there someday. Do they really get a winter there? They're pretty close to the equator, aren't they?

I came in from outside about half an hour ago. It's hotter than the 4th of July out there! It was 93 last time I looked, and humidity is out of control. All I did was get a few things pouted up, and got all of my potted plants watered. I finally had to come in. It was just too much. I feel much better now that I'm in the AC.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

The day temps are supposed to be in the low 70s this coming week in the area where we are going in Brazil. The night temps get to the upper 40s this week..... I do think they have a few days below freezing but not too often. It will be NICE!!! after these scorching hot temps here!! The problem will be coming back to this HEAT! :( YUCK!! They don't have nearly as much humidity as we have either - so even the cooler temps will not feel like they do here most of the time. I am looking forward to everything except returning in mid july! Maybe we could just stay until October or November or so...... ^_^

Did you order those conifers offline somewhere? or does someone sell that type of thing in your area?

For some strange reason, I have always wanted to go to South America and Africa..... ever since I was a young girl. One too many episodes of Jacque Coustou or Wild Kingdom probably...... but it is kinda a joke at our house right now because about a year to a year and a half ago my youngest son was watching one of those nature shows on TV and they were showing snakes crushing people and eating them, and ALL kinds of deadly spiders ( I HATE SPIDERS) etc on this program..... all these deadly things in this country. I kept going back and forth thru the room doing other things at home when I finally inquired where on earth this was..... He said Brazil! My reply "well, I am NEVER going to Brazil!!"..... I totally forgot about the show until we had already bought tickets for this trip, when my daughter inquired one day if that wasn't the country in that show he had been watching that had all the deadly stuff in it! He laughed and said that he had forgotten about it too - but that yeah it was Brazil in the show. So, I guess we ARE going there!!! Thankfully, we will be going to the slums and NOT to the jungle where most of those creatures congregate! LOL I did ask at my meeting if I needed to bring some insecticide for spiders!!! They thought i was joking but I was serious.................. :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice pics there Karen. Love the path thru the garden. I have a few of those seed dropping trees that I plan to cut down in the near future.
Genna, have fun on the trip with DD. Brazil doesn't get cold. Their avg temps year round is between 70 to 78°f.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Getting ready to storm here this a.m. Just saw a flash of lightning. We could use a little bit of rain. Even though we got over an inch a week ago, the ground is already dried out again.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hope you get some rain Cindy............... it is dry here already.......... It rained on June 1 which normally means 15 days of rain that month - and we have had several days of rain but only a few drops here and a few drops there - not a real rain! :(

Ya'll remember the tale of my Crepe myrtle that seemed to be frozen in time .... it is FINALLY leafing out! The others are already blooming. It has just been the weirdest thing to watch it progress at slower than a snail's pace!!! You can see that the leaves are finally developing! It has to be at least 2 full months if not more behind the others................ so strange...............

Thumbnail by gen2026
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh that's great!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It has been the most bizarre thing to watch...... just looked like it was stuck in that "barely budding out stage" for MONTHS! Now it is finally progressing - albeit at as SLOOOOWWWW pace. I don't really look for this one to have blooms this year! LOL

It will be interesting to see if it does the same thing next spring - or if it was some type of weird phenomenon caused by our strange weather. It is just odd how the other CMs I have in the yard haven't done this.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

For those of you who pray.... would you please whisper a prayer on behalf of my son, Alex, today? He is taking a HUGE test today. He just completed his second year of medical school in May. This test can actually determine whether or not he passes the first two years. In addition, the score on this test will have a major impact on what specialty he will get to pursue and what he will get to do for the rest of his life. It is an 8 hr test. He should be about 2 hrs into it at this point. I would greatly appreciate any prayers on his behalf.
Thanks so much!
Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Will do Genna.

Prayers for Alex.
Hot and humid..about 3" of rain last night...saturated soil and plants showing lots of stress...

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much! He got out of the test about 4:45 last night. Said he didn't have a clue how he did - so if you can just keep him on your prayer list until we get results (4 -6 weeks) I would really appreciate it.

Motts, are you getting too much rain in your area? is that what the stress is from? I wish we could get a couple of inches of rain - it is really dry here again. I am leaving on a mission trip to Brazil on July 5 - and I sure hope my son manages to keep everything watered while I am gone otherwise it will be toast!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Not too warm here 80 but the humidity makes it feel like 90. Its a very sticky day.

gen..way too much water. Folks in counties a bit southwest (hour drive)...houses flooded, roads out, farmers can't get into fields etc....will try to send some rain your way.
Hope your mission trip goes well... How about a note for your son on his forehead in garden pen!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.