Anyone tried Pennington butterfly & Hummingbird mix?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi all. I bought and sowed the Pennington mixture of Butterfly & Hummingbird seek mixture - it is sprouting up nicely, and there are some blooming flowers. Problem is that the mix doesn't list what is in it! And while I'm trying to nurture it along and pluck any stray Bermuda grass that rudely intrudes on this designated wildflower patch, I am having a little bit of a hard time distinguishing friendly wildlflower from pesky weed. T

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Feel free to post pictures and we'll try to ID what's coming up. I'm surprised it didn't list what was in it on the package? Are the butterflies liking it, at any rate?

Melanie

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank Mellie - here's a picture

Thumbnail by memays
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay - I see your problem. Some of the caterpillar host plants might not have showy blooms, which complicates things even more. And some will be Biennial and not bloom until next year.
So - look around outside the area that you seeded. Is it coming up anywhere else? If so, it probably wasn't in your seed mix, and you don't need any more anyway. Next - watch for the first sign of something getting ugly - if one turns ugly, they all have to go.
Over the next two years, some things will do too well and try and take over. You will have to decide whether or not to let nature take its course, or give some of the less aggressive things some help.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you. I guess time will tell if the seed route was a good idea or whether I just should have gone for seedlings!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi memays, I planted the Pennington Hummingbird and Butterfly mix, along with the Wildflowers mix, several years ago, and this is the 2nd year where many of the plants have come back from seeds. I let the plants die down in the fall, and shake them to let the seeds drop in the bed, and the plants have returned.

I have planted Echinacea plants in the past, and none have grown as successfully
as the plants that have come back from seeds.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I've really enjoyed the plants that came from this mix, and I love the the ones that have reseeded.

Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

You can see how the mix changes year to year. I see a lot of Shasta Daisy in the older mix. It can be a problem here. It is too aggressive in cool wet weather, then it is the first thing to wilt in hot dry weather.
Echinacea is nice - I will have to remember that it is one of those plants that likes to pick its own spot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.