A Bit of Rain Here and I'm Sure In Many Other Places!

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I'm in CT in NE USA and we got hardly any rain in April and now it seems
like it just won't stop. Temps have been up and down also, probably not too
bad for tomatoes. They are flowering and setting fruit so I suppose I can't
complain.

I'm fairly new to growing tomatoes and have boring Super Sweet 100 in
the ground, Husky Cherries in E-buckets, and a Sweet-n-Neat in a pot
on the porch.

Any precautions to take with all this rain? The E-buckets drain but I could
put them under an overhang.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi Pete, we are having similar weather in Montreal. At this point, I'm doing nothing about protection or coverage, except praying. Hardening off was difficult as the weather was all over the place. Probably when it stops raining, spraying with a fungicide and insecticide will be important. Also fertilizing. I'm using mostly Hydrofarm grow bags and so far so good. It's going to be a crazy summer I think!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

I am from southern VA, USA here, and i can agree with the crazy summer so far, looks like every time i check the weather, they are saying "severe storm warning". On the bright side of it, all those storms have made my veggie garden explode! (sorry about the messy yard in the background, still havent gotten around to cleaning up the leaf litter from the last storm--which gave us half inch sized hail)

Thumbnail by jmc1987
Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

Reflecting back on this, it probably explains why the tomato plants did so well that season all the rain was good for them. I probably got 1/4 as many tomatoes this season. Not good at all. I had the plants on a drip watering systems but I don't think I gave them enough.

I've grown Super Sweet 100 the last two seasons and I have to say that they are impressive with both the amount and quality. I accidentally took a Sweet 100 and it produced about half as many as the Super Sweet 100.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2014 2:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.