Is anyone still growing out Johnny's 361

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have some F2 or perhaps F3 seeds from a few years ago. Good tasting, productive tomato. I planted several of them this year. Kept 2 for myself and gave the rest away with the hope that I would get some reports back on how they performed. Is anyone else growing this tomato?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Linda, I grew it so many years ago I had to do a Google search to see when it was first offered, and here's that search:

http://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=johnny%27s+361+tomato&oq=johnny%27s+361+tomato&gs_l=hp.3..33i21.2836.33229.0.38974.21.20.0.1.1.0.437.5899.2-15j4j1.20.0...0.0...1c.1.17.psy-ab.tOJByu3lGTo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47883778,d.dmQ&fp=b5a02156613597e7&biw=1031&bih=382

I grew it a long time ago based on that Google search and needed to be reminded that it was an F1 hybrid, and I don't normally grow hybrids, with few exceptions as you know.

Are you trying to dehybridize it and if so how can you make comparisons if you don't have any F1 plants out there to compare with what you get with your F2 or F3 seeds?

Carolyn

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

HOwdy, Linda...
I just replied to your Dmail so guess you get a double-dose of me today!

Howdy Carolyn. I hope your posting means you are at home again, and relaxing.

Linda, I've grown J-361 out to F-5 or F-6 now...have to check my seed stock to double check which one. I've gotten some fairly decent tomatoes from some of the F's but started seeing quite a variety from F-3 and up, some being of various sizes, growth habit, and of course flavor. I didn't grow any out this year but will grow some out next year of the ones I have marked to "try again" and "definitely grow out".

Although I have some of the original hybrid seeds I haven't grown them out for two years (I'm a miser ya know and wanna save them as long as possible). At this point though I'm not comparing the latter F's directly to the original F1 but am just looking for something close OR some great tasting/great growth habit strain.

Hope this helps.
Shoe (who like Carolyn has grown very few hybrids over the past 15+ years but finds one worth growing from time to time and want to "rescue " it!~)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Shoe, I came home Thursday and NO, I am not relaxing at ALL since several problems followed me home so we shall see.

Shoe is one of the wonderful folks who does seed production for me for my annual seed offer, and Shoe, I'll try to get an e-mail sent to our group e-mail, which of course includes you and the others who do seed production for me to let all of you know where things are at,

All for now, except to say that I did dehybridize Rampo F1 which wasn't hard to do since it had but two parents. I can check the NCSU Cultivar list and if it's there, for 361, I'll come back and post here.

Carolyn

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have never had a "real" F1 Johnny's 361, but there were enough people who were sad that it was not going to be available anymore that I was interested. Don't we always want what we can't have?!? I think it was Hot Pepper Dan who sent me some F2 (probably) seeds. I grew a few of them out and liked the flavor and production very much. Now if I could just remember whether the ones I planted this year were some that I saved or the ones I received. Hmmm. Memory is such a fickle thing. I have two very good-looking 361 tomatoes in my garden. I'll let you know if they are edible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.