onions in clearwater

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I've been trying to grow onions since February. I've tried seeds & bulbs & I've tried to grow them inside in pots, outside in pots, & straight in the ground. They either don't grow, or start to grow then die. I looked up info on several sites but get conflicting info. Am I planting too late? I don't know what varieties I've tried specifically I just bought the bulbs & seeds at Walmart. All my other plants are thriving so I don't think its my soil or watering schedule. Any advice would be appreciated

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

I haven't tried them, but would like to. Also looking forward to tips!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I've had bad luck with onions. The only thing that I can grow that's an "onion" is Egyptian walking onion. These are not the big onions you buy in the store. These are scallion type onions. I use them, but it is taking me a while to build up my patch of onions. I actually don't even take care of them that's how carefree they are. I have them in planters on the north side of my covered patio. They don't get dried out and baked this way,and get watered from the rain bouncing off the patio roof and ground. I think some people have good luck with onions here, but not I.

Erin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here are some excerpts from Southern Living Garden Book (my florida bible):

"different types form bulbs in response to varying day lengths. if you choose a type inappropriate for your area, it may go to seed before bulbing up, form small bulbs, or not form bulbs at all.

best for the coastal south and tropical south (in other words, most of florida except for north florida) are the short-day selections. these need10-12 hours of daylight and typically form bulbs in spring. they are sweet but poor keepers. examples are burgundy, crystal white wax, vidalia, southern belle, sweet georgia brown, texas grano 502 and 1015 and yellow bermuda.

also, the intermediate-day onions grow well in the south, requiring 12-14 hours of daylight. they have a stronger flavor and keep longer. bulbs are formed in summer. examples are candy hybrid, stockton sweet red and super star hybrid.

long day onions like ebenezer, sweet spanish, walla, walla and yellow globe will not do well in florida.

in the lower, coastal and tropical south, onions grow well from seeds sewn in fall. sets and transplants can be planted from late fall throughout the winter.
soil should be loose, fertile and well-drained and placed in full sun. they enjoy regular water. when planting sets, push them just under the surface so the point of the bulb remains visible. when planting transplants, trim foliage by half after planting. sow seeds 1/4" deep.
fertilize with 10-10-10 before planting, when they're 4-6 weeks old and again when bulbs begin to form. water in."

i hope this helps.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank u so much trackinsand! That's awesome advice! I'll try again in the fall with the varieties u mentioned. Thanks again!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.