Lavender...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

where can I find the best lavender plants?? I want to plant a border on both sides with lavender, I'm going English cottage in the largest bed - roses & tall plants in back, medium & then low in front - there are some lovely landscaping in the neighborhood, but it's exactly that...landscaped - borrowing truck & bringing home lots of top soil to put over the mulch - then start planting - much later in summer of course

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Have you connected with any DG members from that area? Do they have any swaps or RU's close? Found any local garden centers?

Warrenton, VA

Now's a great time to peruse your local nurseries...and also, hate to say it, but Burpee's is having a good sale on their perennials...I bought mine from them a couple of years ago, they are steroidal, and I actually had to yank one out - it died in the middle but went crazy on the sides. Just grabbed a couple of side sections and threw them into the ground...this was in early Spring.
Now they, too, are steroidal! LOL!
Just remember my words, and know that if you buy TINY plants, like I did, well...better allow a TON of room for them...I would not give up my lavender at any price. What a lovely scent, color, and even when they get huge, they are mannerly. Make sense? Go great with Clematis, Roses, Garden Phlox, and Camelias. Oh yeah! Good luck in your ventures!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

A lot of on-line places that I looked at for you are sold out -- but there are also a lot of sales, so you need to be ready to jump. American Meadows is mostly sold out but has two cultivars on sale ($5 a plant) -- http://www.americanmeadows.com/perennials/lavender . I just got an order from them and was pleased with the quality of the plants (my expectations were not high, gotta say).

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Santa Rosa has this one left
http://www.santarosagardens.com/Lavandula-angustifolia-Hidcote-p/lav-hid.htm

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh -- good catch -- I thought they were out of stock -- maybe they restocked. I think that's a nice one, and a great price.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll have to wait with ordering, buying - surgery on Wednesday will prevent me from planting...so, I'll just keep an eye on growers and if y'all hear of any sales, let me know, please! :) We do have several local nurseries and box-stores and I am sure I'll be visiting them all soon :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm not saying you should order, but if the only thing holding you back is that you won't be ready to plant for a while, Santa Rosa will let you pick the ship date -- it can be waaay out in the future -- and they'll hold the plants for you until then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.