Pinching tomatoes

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I keep forgetting (it's an age thing). If I am going to pinch tomatoes at all, pinch the determinates or indeterminates?

Calgary, Canada

The indeterminate or vining tomatoes are the ones we prune.

Bush or determinate tomatoes are not pruned.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

And some people don't prune either but we always do. Keeps the plant neater and it's easier to see the fruit.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Agree that determinates should never be pruned and I never pruned indeterminates either. Several reasons for that. I always wanted as much foliage cover as possible as a backup if foliage diseases appeared, and also wanted as much foliage cover as possible so that no fruits would get sunscald, which they can if indets are pruned.

Also, the more foliage cover, the greater the photosynthesis which makes ATP and GTP energy to allow for plant growth, blossom formation, fruit set and fruit maturation.

Carolyn

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Another note about pruning is that it leaves an open wound where infection can get in. Some diseases are a nuisance but then they become systemic and it's a whole other ballgame.

If I remember correctly you have had previous issues with foliage diseases?

When you say pinching are talking about removing the top of the main stem or pruning?

Calgary, Canada

Good to hear that you are back! Carolyn!
I am glad to hear reasons for NOT pruning.
Was always told they must be pruned.
Our season is short so I do top the plants in August.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I almost wish I had a heat issue. I joke that each tomato that grows to fruition costs $100. I live in a very foggy area so we rarely get heat. I struggle with "wall of water" tubes to retain as much heat as I can. I did find it interesting that pinching (not pruning the top) could infest with diseases which I have had in the past. So far this year I have not sprayed with Dacinol (spelling?) but perhaps I should as a preventative. My plants are about 2 feet tall now & have no blossoms as yet. .
Yes, Carolyn, very glad you are back! What is ATP & GTP?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A little off topic and so on , the only part that gets pruned on any of mine is the bottom leaves that turn yellow .
Which reminds me I have that to do , now ...

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

ATP is short for adenosine triphosphate and GTP is short for guanosine triphosphate and both are energy compounds made as part of the photosynthesis process.

Before you spray anyhing, whether it be Daconil , which is an antifungal, or something else, I think it's best that you ID what specific foliage diseases you have as to whether they are fungal or bacterial.

You mentioned being in a foggy coastal region, which means June Glooms for you and the major diseases to look out for are the two kinds of Powdery Mildew.

I and others have posted links to many disease sites here at DG but if you didn't save them, perhaps best to go to Google and enter tomato Powdery Mildew. There are two kinds and both are fungal.

Carolyn

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I like to prune when they are young to get some height and the bottom leaves high off the ground (plastic mulch). Later I let them go. Last year in the lower garden they became a jungle
mainly because I didn't prune them much and the soil was rich there. We always have a late season here and sunscald is not much of a problem.So, I was down there in the jungle picking 'mates from late Sept. to early Nov. and ended up picking the greenies and making green tomato pickles. We usually have long warm falls. In the upper garden near the house, they were pretty much gone and used up much earlier. Those were the ones I pruned religiously and heavily. Until last year, I never pruned tomatoes but decided I would try it last year. I am doing it again this year, but not as persistently and soon I will probably stop pruning. We will see how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.