CLOSED: Mug Swap Reveal / Show Us Your Ugly Mug!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome to to the 2013 Mug Swap Reveal!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1313386/

Now in our third year, the DG Mug Swap offers a communal outlet to those who savor private moments alone with mug in hand. Wander through the garden every morning morning with a cup of Earl Grey? Sit up late at the kitchen table sipping decaf instant after everyone else has gone to bed? Pound the hard stuff all day long?

Share your mug obsessions here.

Super secret swap partners have been issued, and we are closed to new participants.

This is a mug swap only, but feel free to include any other mug-related paraphernalia that might suit your swap partner's muglee preferences.

Please let all packages ship on or before June 29 with delivery confirmation. Kindly send me and only me the DC number from your package so we can keep track of your uglee mugs.

Let me know if you have any questions, and let the games begin!!!

Participants:

AmandaEsq/Amanda ---------------->>>>Alikat/Candi received!!!
FruitOfTheVine/Susan - - - - - - - - - ->>>>Jokenna/Tina Received!!!
Mud_Elf/Kris ----------------------------->>>>>Cville/Carole Received!!!
Goober_fairy/Kaitlin - - - - - -- - - - - ->>>>>FOTV/Susan Received!!!
Taters55/Linda Kay ----------------->>>>Nancy received!!!
Alikat32/Candi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >>>>OutlawHeart81 received!!!
OutlawHeart81 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->>>>AmandaEsq received!!!
Ridoodles/Martha
Cville_Gardener/Carole - - - - - - - - - >>>ridoodles received per DC on 6/15!!!
NF 2932/Nancy - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->>> Goober_Fairy received!!!
Jokenna/Tina - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - >>> Linda Kay/Taters 55 received!!!
Chicory31/Kerrie - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->>>Mud_Elf/Kris received!!!

Thanks for playing. :)

A.

Photo courtesy "The Ugly Mug"
723 8th Street
Washington, DC

This message was edited Jul 27, 2013 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread, and my name!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It's my pleasure! I broke out a mug that is retired today.

It is my 'master gardener' mug awarded to me back when. I noticed earlier in the year that the red design was loosing it's shine, so I ordered Court not to put it thru the dishwasher any more.

That didn't work, so I put it on the top shelf out of everyone's reach. It still holds my favorite brew, and now it's one of my secret pleasures. Not so secret now, but I feel comfy enough to confide in you. :)

Does anyone else have a retired mug or two? This is a safe place. :D

This message was edited Jun 11, 2013 9:58 AM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A good friend gave me this one. She knows me too well. It's semi-retired, but I break it out every now and then when I need a reminder or a pep talk. "Break" probably isn't a good word to use. Sorry. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Love your cups, but I really like the sea salt you have on the counter. Where did you get it?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Linda, I ordered that one from Amazon ... http://www.amazon.com/Le-Saunier-De-Camargue-Fleur/dp/B000EQSAIY/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_z

They have a different package design as well ... http://www.amazon.com/Le-Saunier-Fleur-Camargue-4-4oz/dp/B00018XFFI/ref=pd_sim_gro_6

Bet it makes things taste good?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wonderful. It's amazing how different tasting salts can add to a dish. :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

This is my favorite mug.....it isn't retired yet but I don't let anyone drink out of it but me....I've been known to hid it by putting it in the plate cabinet instead of with the cups....shhhhhh don't tell!

Thumbnail by AliKat32
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Schweet!

I can see you are diabolical in your muglee compulsiveness. :)

What do you drink out of that giant mug?!!!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2013 10:41 PM

Amanda, Goober will be going home as soon as they let her out of the hospital. Please have her mug buddy send to her at her home adress and not mine. Her adress is in the adress exchange.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh poo. I know you were looking forward to the summer together. I sure hope everything looks better this morning.

I'm sure Goober's swap buddy won't mind changing her mug's destination.

Hey all,,, Goober is at home with her mom. They did tons of tests and found nothing except with a cat scan with dye, she had some irritation in her intestines. The doctor said they had been afraid it was her appendix. But finally desided she had some kind of stomache virus. Her temp got up to 103.6 before they got it down again. Sarah decided to take them both home. When Ralph got to the hospital with Gryphon he was almost as sick as Goober. Not real sure what they got. Just hope I donot get it.

I will get the mug Goober picked out mailed by next Friday. I want to go see the kids, and Goober and I will finish up her box then. She had already found one cup, jist need the extras....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Poor sweet girl. And I hope Gryphon improves as well. How far do they live from you? Hope it's not a long trip.

xox

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Amanda -- it's a bitty wee mug....maybe holds 8oz.....looks big in the photo.....I like to sip choc milk and hot choc out of that mug! I also drink my protein shake out of that cutie! Starts my day off super great!

Kris -- I hope you don't get it either! Sending you extra super strength!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Haha that's funny because it looks gargantuan in the picture.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

big cup little cup....all good cups!

Thumbnail by AliKat32
Winnetka, CA

Candi... I just love that tigger cup! I used to have one years ago but I don't know where it has landed... yours is so cute! Nancy

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Nancy -- I got Tigger at the Disney store a LONG LONG time ago.....just recently at school the staff organized a "stuff swap" and I got a piglet cup! I like them cuz they are so BIG and I can sip tea for a long time out of each one!

Calling all coffee drinkers...what's the verdict....is keurig coffee better than pot brewed coffee? Hubby says yes......dad says no.....I need more of a survey.....I've tried the tea cups....can't tell the difference....then again....I've never brewed a pot of tea and let it sit for an hour drinking from the pot.....

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

The main thing about Keurig brewer is the speed at which you can get to drinkin'. I still use my own, locally-roasted, freshly home-ground coffee in my Keurig. Tastes the same made by the Keurig as it did with my other drip coffee maker. If you use a French Press, then you'll never get that depth of flavor with a Keurig. Of course, if you are using a press, you are not the target market for speedy preparation!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hellooo Lanakila! I was thinking of you last night. How it is when you pass-a-long a plant at an RU. :)

I don't have much of an impression of the Keurig other than convenience.

one of my brothers was so taken with the French press he enjoyed at a friend's house after Christmas dinner that he went and bought each of us (me and him) an Italian glass press as well as krups bur mill. I love it. He, however, has never used his. Too busy. Poor thing.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

H-BIRTHDAY LK :) Just a little something Sweet To A VERY SPECIAL LADY

Thumbnail by deejay9
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice work! LK is the only June birthday in the birthday club. Her post this morning said she was on the beach at Corpus Christie. :)

Just wanted to let you all know that there are already two (2) ugly mugs in the air wending their way to their secret swapeeeees.

Great work! I feel some pressure to perform, almost. But for most of you still waiting to receive my side of a trade...I'm good for the trade!!! Please read my trading feedback. :D

I've just lost my mind somewhere these past few weeks. Don't worry, swap buddy, I won't leave you mugless.

xox

p.s.

Can anyone help with ID on th following three plants? The last three pics are of the same plant. I have stumped the ID forum.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You may or may not appreciate this but I thought it was funny, and being coffee related have to share. Laughed at myself last Night drinking a strawberry lime a Rita then chasing it with a cup of coffee.

So tonight feeling like drinking i grab what I can find. There are two killians red at the back of the fridge. Im drinking one now And at the same time i'm brewing my last cup o the day in my trusty one cup black and decker.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Nice Amanda -- nothing like chasing your drinks with a home brewed delight!
My hubby has a french press that he takes camping.....he loves it!

Happy Birthday LK -- hope the beach is fantastic! I loved Corpus when I went to visit many many moons ago!

I'm planning on sending my partner's surprise tomorrow...will confirm with our awesome mug trade organizer once it is airborne!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Many years ago I invited my friend, Court, to go on a Sierra Club hike with me. He had just broken up with his crazy girlfriend of 8 years, and he hadn't been out in the woods in forever. He went on another hike with me after that- some incredible scenery here in the NC mountains.

Then he hatched a plan to start hiking the Appalachian Trail in sections starting in Georgia heading north.

On our second or third trip as friends, I knew it was love when he started greeting me each day with instant coffee in my plastic travel mug. :)

That last trip as friends was in October, 2001. He is still so grateful every day when I remember to set the coffee timer to greet him in the morning. I guess I should quit goofing off on DG and go prime that machine.

Goodnight everybody!!!

xox

Awwwwww

Thanks for all the wonderful Birthday wishes everyone! We had a wonderful time at the beach!

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Awwww too....love that story!

LK -- glad your trip was fun!

My hubby still loves it when I bring him coffee to wake him up! It's the little things in life!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

For Candi:

A couple of plants in tiny mugs.

The turquoise glass is from my childhood. It's holding a streptocarpus start.

The coffee mug and saucer was a gift with a candle in it. I love candles, but I love coffee mugs more. I popped out that candle with a sharp knife because I couldnt burn it fast enough to use as a planter. It is also diminutive, but the perfect home for this cactus. Sand and pebbles and a little soil.

It's a trick trying to figure out how much to water, but I enjoy these tiny mugs. I have found some pretties at thrift stores and left overs at yard sales. Might have a chip or otherwise imperfect for someone else to see the possibilities, but floral mugs in particular have found their way here and do make pretty planters and occasional gifts for plant people who might appreciate the risks inherent in gardening in containers without drainage. ;)

This message was edited Jun 15, 2013 11:45 AM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Kris is home from the hospital and apparently up to steam, She plans to check in at dave's tonight

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Those are just precious! And with some rocks at the bottom the extra water could filter out! I am so doing that for gifts for my book club friends....it's a super cool idea! And they will love it!

Yeah -- Kris is home! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

How did I miss Kris back at the hospital?!

She must be on a first name basis with the ER nursing staff and doctors. :/

Thanks for the update on Kris! Glad she is home!
Love those cups with plants!

I am home. Spent the night at the hospital. They thought at first that I had a heart attack. But after extensive testing. Every thing came back negative.
The Doc told me I have the heart of a twenty year old. So now they are going to do more testing on my lungs and the blood vessels leading to my heart and see if that is the problem. And I do still have the rash. It has spread to my whole body now. Nothing to do about it except lots of benadryll and anti itch creams.. Sigh.

I will be finishing up my box and mailing it out a week from Monday.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gosh, Kris, what an ordeal. Sending thoughts and prayers your way. I'm not sure what symptoms you had but I know you were relieved to hear your heart is young and strong. Hopefully the rash will be gone soon.

It appears my box reached its destination yesterday.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kris I am shaking my head at you. Must be something in the water there or something. :/

Carole - no fair! I forgot to mention the rule that you are not allowed to leave home until the swap is over to prevent chocolate mugs from melting on the front porch.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, hopefully everything arrived at the destination intact. :)

OK, I'll stick close to home until my box arrives. ;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It's awfully quiet.

Too quiet.

Let's hope our mug swap is well received by the USPS.

I have been collecting things for my swap buddy. It's an eclectic pile. But what would she expect?!

My committee chair for my master's degree likes the word eclectic. I like him because like me, he followed a non traditional trajectory into the natural sciences. His undergraduate degree is in English. Now he is the undergraduate director of the forestry department!!

I'm pretty jaded. Miracles like that could happen in the 70s. I'm not sure I'd recognize a miracle on my own trajectory if it landed on my head.

In any event he and I were talking one day, and I guess we were discussing my trajectory. I tend to use the word 'eccentric' to describe my oddities. By he sort of corrected me twice with the word 'eclectic.'

I guess if I were less self deprecating I could embrace that, but somehow I see myself as the little old lady who lived in a shoe. Eccentric. Court says if I didn't have an ivy league degree I'd be just plain crazy. :D

-sigh-

I'm trying to think if I have a coffee story for you today, and a good one crept to the front of my brain from the nosebleed section.

The details are fuzzy. I was first year law school in some really difficult exam, and I spilled my entire probably huge coffee on myself. Yeah, it's real fuzzy, but I remember having to sit thru that exam freezing my arse off until my jeans dried. Dang.

With that I will shut this down. We are having more rain and I am not complaining.

I have poked a certain someone whose swap package seems to have arrived. Everyone keep an eye out, and let us know if you have travel plans. :D

xox
A.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2013 11:36 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.