(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Perennials and shrubs.
(14 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Fruit trees. (tell us!)
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Everything, since I only have a container garden.
(4 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Nothing. I do not garden in containers.
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other (tell us)
(25 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Oh, I'm first!!! My answer is: Annuals and Perennials

My BFF poured ice water from the ice cream freezer into two pots, so I had to completely redo them. Poured out the dirt, put more in, and saved the flowers I could...and then I got to go shopping for more. :)

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

veggies and herbs, need to keep some from the gophers and this is the only way. most everything else does go into the ground though.

Lake Helen, FL

I've got quite a bit of stuff in pots, tubs, and bins, because the soil here is skinny and porous and full of bugs and nematodes. All the same, my carnivorous rose, Florida peaches, magnolia, Florida redcedar, etc yet., are in the ground.

Thumbnail by Reynardine
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Onions, tomatoes, and eggplants (in Earthboxes), carrots in SmartPots, & bell peppers in 14" pots.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I prefer to stay away from container gardening although some container gardens are very beautiful.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

My containers are all filled with tropical blooming plants - those too tender to stay outdoors when the temps drop below 40 degrees.

Thumbnail by KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's a couple more I have in big containers:

Thumbnail by KayJones Thumbnail by KayJones Thumbnail by KayJones Thumbnail by KayJones
West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Mine are full of tropical plants and ferns. We live in southern Missouri, so I have the tropical looking plants that will grow here in the ground (such as certain cannas, musa basjoo, elephant ears, etc) but I have to pot up the rest! In fact, my husband and I just went to New Orleans for a vacation, and I brought back 9 plants. Imagine us hauling these across the lobby of the Sheraton up to the 20th floor! It was hilarious, and we definitely got some funny looks from the valets, too!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have perennials like orchid, lantana, begonia, bougainvillae, and cactus in containers, and annual impatiens, petunia, and begonia in containers.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Annuals and perrineals (sp). Luciee {;^)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My wife gets credit for containers around here.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

I have some of each (er....exept "nothing").

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Herbs in one container, annuals in 2, blueberries in 4, butterfly weed in 2, hardy hibiscus in a potato bag, 1 oak leaf hydranga, 1 magnolia and I think that's it. lol. Normally I do about 5 containers of annuals but all my good ones are full of blueberries. I really wanted blueberries this year!! LOL

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

I grow and breed brugmansia which almost every plant is in pots
I also grow hippeastrum & salvia's these are in pots also
However I do not need to over winter them as our winters don't get cold as many countries and or states in the USA

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Succulents, roses, plumerias, roses, petunias, amaryllis, mint. Some are in pots and others in planting boxes I made myself.

Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have impatiens growing under my porch. Lots of different, vibrant colors.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Annuals, perennials and herbs( mint is only planted in containers)

We have pots of a variety of annuals and pots of vegetables. The vegetables are lots of varieties of cherry and grape tomatoes, peppers and a pot of dwarf peas all the veggies we grow are in pots. I have found that I have the best results with cherry and grape tomatoes in pots. Actually some of the annuals and the grape tomatoes are in large cedar planters that my DH made all the others are in pots including some annuals in hanging pots. All the in ground garden space goes to perennial flowers love flowers that come back every year.

(Zone 7a)

Annuals, perennials, tropicals, trees...and veggies.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Nasturtiums, plumeria, angel wing begonia, coleus noid, ornamental cabbage and purple jew in the photos. I also grow pansies, many varieties of coleus, a grapefruit tree, ferns, succulents, brugs, lantana, strawberry fields amaranth, parsley, oregano, basil, Asiatic lilies, liriope, ginger, apidistra, cucumbers, tomatoes, purslane, petunias, mexican mint marigold, vinca and diamond dust euphorbia, turks cap and caladiums. I have an in ground veggie garden and flower garden but I like being able to move the pots around as the sun path changes thru the seasons to either protect the plants from Texas sun or in winter, help them capture the low sun. That is how I still have nasturtiums blooming this late in the year.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Kay, what is that in your second photo in your second post, the big yellow thing that looks like a tuber or root?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Annuals, ferns, perennials, veggies, shrubs. I don't do just container gardening, but I have a lot of various things in containers.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Previously annuals, then added some grasses and a Harry Lauder, now slowly adding in veggies as well. I am fairly cautious with containers as I don't usually have to water anything in my in-ground gardens so find if I limit my containers to the back deck I will be more diligent about watering. Here are this year's in early spring:

Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead
Lake Helen, FL

Believe it or not, this is in a container:

I also grow fig trees in bins, because of nematodes. My Kadota is setting fruit.

Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

With very little sun, impatiens is the way to go for me.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Everything, annuals, perennials, tropicals, vegetables and some small trees and shrubs.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

What's in my containers? Mostly small seedlings (winter sown) that need some steady warmth and sunshine. It's been cool/and or/ rainy for what seems like forever. Some of my winter sown "babies" are planted in the ground, but even they are sulking. Could you Southerners and Westerners send some warmth my way ... please? :>)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

PAgirl60, some heat will be on the way. It reached the mid. 90'ish down here. Yike!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

PAgirl60; I'll trade you some rain for dsome heat. We haven't had a drop since the first week of May and it's been 108-117 every day since just after Memorial Day.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have 12 container tomatoes, beets and some herbs...

Neshoba County, MS(Zone 7b)

Oregano, thyme, fennel, rosemary, geranium, sedum, basil, marjoram, vinca, aloe, salvia, Cilantro, and a few weeds awaiting my attention.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2013 6:56 AM

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I have a few containers. In most of these I grow tender perennials that I have to move to a frostfree place before winter comes. In the front garden I have a big container in which I grow a mix of wintergreen and herbaceous perennials, not lifted springflowering bulbs and annual flowering plants.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few planter pots, a few annuals , a few porch summer time house plants ..

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I have all kinds of things in pots. I had my blue agave and soap aloe in pots until they got better. they are better now so have been planted in one of my beds.

I have my spearmint in a pot so I can keep it watered and pick from it for my tea.

My Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow is in a pot.
As is my Oxalis triangularis ('Francis'), Firespike, Cape Honeysuckle and Purple Ruffles Basil.
I planted two pots on either side of my new perola/trellis with red petunias, cardinal climber, moonflower, and hyacinth bean vine.
they have saucers under them to add extra water, just in case. they are in full sun, and in my yard, that can be brutal!!

sometimes I put plants in a pot, put them in the center of my garden (in the shade) that I have named "the nursery" and baby them until they are healthier.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Since I live in Phoenix and it is so hot now I don't have much in my annual pots. I have purple sweet potato vine and lemon thyme. Of course, I have lots of cacti and succulents in pots.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Lake Helen, FL

Happy Solstice!

Thumbnail by Reynardine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.