DJ"S JULY IRIS PICTURES & CHAT

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

OK Friends Please post pictures & Chat here Love to see your Irises .

ACOMA
CLUB TATOO
BRIMSTONE
TEMPTING FATE
LAMBS EAR

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1316031/#new

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My named trade irises
Beverly Sills
Dawn of Change
Final Countdown
Purple Serenade
Queen's Circle

This message was edited Jun 10, 2013 2:26 PM

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Rosemary's Dream
Rush Hour
Jesse's Song
Magharee
Jungle Song

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Here is my Louisiana iris Full Eclipse It was Buried In a Mass of taller Plants I About Missed it .

WHY Is it that so many of the IRISES Look alike but Have Different names ?

Thumbnail by deejay9
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

OH my -- such beauties! I mostly have yellow and purple....I need some of those other colors! Just amazing ladies!

this morning I Found this Perfect Black Iris in bloom sure looks black to me :) Was Given to me by a lady at the Post office last spring No Name for it

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my gooness.....here are so many beauties. I Love Irises, just only have a couple kinds my knee is healing well and so I'll soon be playin inthe dirt again Gotta get in lots of hours in the rest of June , July & Aug. Wanting to get my right one done in early Sept .

Are there any group buys going on or have I missed them too. would really like to get some cottage garden sun loving flowers out there to cut down on m mowing requirements. Am waiting to see if the Lychness Lucifer comes up that I got from Manda ( I think) last fall.

I have plenty of Columbine, May Apples, Lily of the Valley and lots of ....oh yes, the large fiddle head ferns, Hellebore, Blue-eyed grass, and some wonderful ground cover that I cannot remember the name ofhas tiny white flowers in early spring...dern, I know it will come to me as soon as I hit 'send'
....sure enuf...it's Sweet Woodruff and lots of it.
so...

This message was edited Jun 13, 2013 4:54 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sisyrinchium, could be bellum (8",to z7) or perfolium (10-12", to z3), blue eyed grass. Available in blue or white, am thinking mine is the perfolium but I have white....(sorry was looking for pix, couldn't find).

Gosh, you think I'm behind on weeding....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh I am so glad that some one else has a plethora of weeds like I do. So many and many crop up all the time.

Maxine

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have one like that black one of yours, Susie.
Mine is called Around Midnight.

And as for weeds, please don't think you are alone. One could get lost in my flower beds and the weeds seems to be all different!

Max

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I went away for 10 days and when I got back my yard was totally overcome with weeds. I guess that makes up for the plants I lost due to the miserable cold spring. But I have found, much to my delight, that dwarf German iris' grow here quite well and are every bit as lovely as their taller cousins. If I had bought them for the dollars I blew on the tall bearded I would be awash in lovely iris. Never too late to start though. Yours are all gorgeous.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks gals.....hey Mary do you still have any babies that made it from here in Colo...(think it was a trade last season)...lol. Just wondering, hope they did good, I remember you had lost some, but hope some made it also.

I don't think so. I have a really hard time with iris. Did you send me some hardy hibiscus seeds. I have three plants that grew and made it through the winter.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Susie, I could also send some one un-named iris. Just discovered I had more than I thought.
Would take pics, but computer will not down load my pics that I took today. Maybe over the weekend I will have more time.

Maxine

Does anyone know of a good source for German Dwarf Iris? I am not having any luck on the internet. I find dwarf iris but that is not the same. Those die up here.

Mary I've not heard of a GERMAN DWARF IRIS I Have 100's of the Dwarfs I Split & Sent home about 30 of them to another friend today for she Loaded my car up with many of her plants .
Many of these Plants I Have to Look up .Some I I know
in the Box is
linaria purpurea

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gardensmackdown.com/wp-content/gallery/linaria/garden-2009-021.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gardensmackdown.com/plant-review/2010/plant-review-linaria-purpurea/&h=600&w=800&sz=185&tbnid=qqbknvXwxlp8kM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=104&zoom=1&usg=__TeUIeUwr3WqQG3S_0Hz-M63DrK0=&docid=wfp5M2GC2D8AdM&sa=X&ei=6Ui6UbueLKaqywGA9YC4Cw&ved=0CJ4BEP4dMAw

ASTILBE Red -WHITE
&
Salvia TURKISTANICA white & pink i think she said
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thompson-morgan.com/medias/sys_tandm/8796437479454.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/perennial-and-biennial-seeds/salvia-sclarea-var-turkestanica-alba/3277TM&h=1000&w=1000&sz=334&tbnid=Fvu9WdjTlz_lTM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&zoom=1&usg=__MAS3rRXufMdyoOkXBtkTHHzPRHc=&docid=ebN4ZVZtkgnEsM&sa=X&ei=ykm6UdjnKqLbyQGNkoDYDg&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA&dur=10654

On the Bench I Have
Rodgersia - Bold and Beautiful
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1806/#b

astrantia major alba & rosea pic 2-3

pic 4 is a Martagon Lilies white so as you can see i have many to get into the ground Tomorrow Just way to tired tonight just going to go pull a few weeds back tomorrow .

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Ohhhhhhhh -- I am jealous of the pink masterwort......do save me some seeds or babies next year.... they would be beautiful with my white ones! SO many plants.....they all look fantastic! I'd help you plant if I were closer!

One of my favorite things is walking around my gardens deciding which new plant should go where.....then it's never that easy right -- you gotta weed the spot it's going....amend the soil with new soil if you have it......dig dig dig.....plant....water.....admire you work....and label your new baby! It takes me forever to plant but I love every minute of it. So would say it's an obsession.... :)

I have an astrantia called Moulin Rouge. It is a dark red. Also a white someone sent me. It looks like it survived this horrible winter and spring. So happy

anyone wanting a few of my Lost tags irises I will be happy to share for postage but just don't exspect them in a week for I Have 10 gardens to take from . & I cannot tell you the colors they are . just that they will be assorted 1st dmail will take them . & they maybe about 20 + DWARF & TB . going back outside . will be back at lunch time .

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Mary -- that moulin rouge sounds beautiful! Any babies to trade? seeds?

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Here's a new iris blooming....again NO ID! Love how dark it is!

Thumbnail by AliKat32

Not yet I am afraid. This spring has seriously damaged the garden and the astrantia is just coming up; maybe 2" tall. Send me a dmail as a reminder and if I can get some babies later this summer I will let you know.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mary,

They used to be called dwarf German irises, but now German is not used. Go to any reputable iris seller, like Snowpeak, or Mid America and look for SDB, Standard Dwarf Iris. I would think those would do the best for you. Order and get them in early.

Thanks Polly. A friend is sending me some and I am going to put them in pots and keep them in the garage over winter. I wish I could figure out the difference between what I have and have bought here that they survive when the others (all from Schreiners) didn't. They were even planted in a rather low spot that got some runoff from above and still bloomed.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mary, the dwarf irises I have seen are about 10 inches high and bearded.

Perhaps you are thinking of reticulated irises that bloom here end of February, beginning of March. The first photo was taken March 18, 2011. The second is March 10 of last year. I'm sure I took photos this year, but I have to find them. They are about 4-6 inches tall at most. Last fall I bought about 50 additional bulbs from American Meadows, and they were quite inexpensive.

I think they bloom first, even before the daffodils. While the blooms are short, the foliage is angled and tubular and seems to grow on forever.
Marcia

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 11:47 AM

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The tall bearded irises have come and gone. Like a flash! Probably due to the rains.

The ensatas are now coming. Photos 4 and 5. They look sort of violet on the screen but are blue in real life.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

While I know where the others are planted, I have no recall about this Louisiana Gamecock Iris that opened for us this morning. It is in an area completely separate from the other garden, and it is the first year it has bloomed. I guess it really liked the rains.

This also has a purplish hue, but in person, it is dark blue.

Thumbnail by cathy166

So so Pretty Cathy thank you for sharing

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Quote from AliKat32 :
Here's a new iris blooming....again NO ID! Love how dark it is!

It looks very much like my "Superstition" This one is a very hardy, vigorous grower for me.

Nope Not riticulated. They look just like the regular bearded. I should just dig one up and see what is underneath.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mary, this is what I got when I googled:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QBQOG8/ref=asc_df_B004QBQOG82553232?smid=A2M3UEMSNZKK5L&tag=dealtmp758530-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B004QBQOG8
Definitely unusual if that is what you are looking for.

South Hamilton, MA

It is a Standard dwarf iris (SDB). I wish they would leave off the (German). Good places for those are Mid-America garden & Winterberry Iris Garden.

Yup, Fireplace Embers is one of mine. Can't get Black Gamecock to live for anything. Not even counting winter. How do you plant them. Floating pot in the pond, really wet soil, what kind of soil? I would love to have some but don't want to invest anymore money in a sink hole.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

When I had the Gamecocks in a container, they died. I planted these near the house in an area by the hydrangea that probably gets a lot of water pooling but is not wet all the time. Also they do not get too much sun. Three are open today. Last year was the first year of bloom. They were planted three years ago and have finally multiplied some.

Hmmmm. Maybe not worth trying. I like them but not that much. Thanks

I'm in zone 5a and they only bloom one out of three years for me so I think something is just not right for them here. I cut the last few stalks of my TB iris. The rain has beaten them so badly this year that I'd rather have one bloom open in the house than none in the garden. I think our cooler weather has prolonged the season as my Siberians have all finished up and that is not normal for here.

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Caitlin -- thanks! I'll research it and maybe I'll have a named iris!

I got some zebra striped iris plants a few years back and they never bloom.....so today I dug them all up and replanted them and amended the soil.....I think they were too deep since none of the rhizome was showing. Cross your fingers -- maybe they will bloom next year????

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ali, that's how I plant mine, rhizhomes showing... If they were just one rhiz. maybe thye needed some time to increase before blooming. And you'll love them, smell, just like grape pop..... They are Iris palida varigated. I'm waiting for mine to bloom also, but have the straight green. Smaller flower, but they sure smell fabulous!!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

I have no idea what this is. It might be a Spuria. Sure is pretty though. Coho, a Japanese Iris bloomed today. Strange, as First Act has always been my first to bloom, and it's a ways off yet.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Mittsy -- soooo beautiful! I love the shades of purple!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.