woodland orchids

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had been afraid of trying to grow woodland orchids, mainly because they sounded too fussy.
But I've found several to be pretty reliable, so I wanted to share my experience so others might dive in and try them too.
I've had consistent luck with bletilla, though sometimes a varmint will cut the bloom before it flowers.
But it has survived and multiplied over the past several years. #1 is bletilla 'Kate'.
I have several other cultivars as well.
Calanthe has also been reliable for me over the past 5 years. Most aren't hardy here, but a few are (#2).
Cypripedium has such a reputation for fussiness, I hesitated for years to try it.
But mine has done well for many years now (#3). I now have 4 or 5 varieties.
Finally, dactylorrhizum is another Chinese orchid which has done 'OK' (#4).
It has only bloomed about every other year and isn't looking super robust, so the jury is still out.
I've got a couple other species too young to know about yet, but I'm interested to see how they do.
They don't require special care, just good humousy woodland soil with good drainage.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2013 4:39 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You have done yourself proud, or at least Mother Nature has. They are lovely. I have the Cypripedium parviflorum which is hardy and spreads slowly. Reliably grows each spring, one bloom only.

Taylorsville, KY

Super pics and information....I have only one that looks like your number 1 but I love it. I find that the blooms last for a nice spell. You've certainly inspired me once again and I'll be looking to add some more. I think they look so exotic in a woodland setting. Thanks Scott!! kim

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have never been able to keep orchids alive, but I'm trying again with several new plants (just the common bletilla). I'll try a more permeable soil....

What animals have attacked your bletilla? Maybe I can blame my lack of success on a pest (rather than my dense clay soil and failure to water).

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 6:25 PM

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very beautiful indeed! Your # 1 would be perfect in my makeshift woodland garden :) Perhaps that will be a purchase next year.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Bletilla is the easiest, I think. I have several and all are doing fine. There are many cultivars in various colors.
I've never seen which varmint is eating my bletilla blooms, but there are many possible culprits.
I'm loaded with deer, bunnies, groundhogs (which are too cute, by the way, but very destructive!).
I think good drainage is the key.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the warning about drainage -- I'll try putting the bletilla in a well-draining spot and amending the soil well.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Lovely, weerobin. I've tried a few varieties of bletilla and all but 1 plant has died, and that one plant hasn't flowered, so I've given up on them. I adore ladies slippers, but have heard that they require some sort of leaf mold or some such - and are so expensive, so I haven't dared to try them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.