Cayenne & Habanero

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Do I let the cayenne and habanero change color on the vine or should I take them green. Advise please. Thank you. Dorothy

Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

change on the vine.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the advise. Really appreciated. This is my first time with cayenne and habanero. Not sure what to expect. I've grown datil and they will vary in color, so was not too sure with these. Thank you. Dorothy

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Use goves to pick those habaneros, and when chopping them up in the kitchen. Cooked some up the other day (used gloves), then picked up the tv remote-- then my son who was visiting picked up the remote, touched his face and couldn't understand why his skin was burning!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm growing habaneros for the first time this year…What do you do with them? orchid923…Got any recipes you'd like to share?

Oops, sorry Tim-- I haven't been here in a while. I usually just cut them in very fine strips (after seeding them) and please keep gloves on. I add just a little to regular chopped peppers and onion. We like spicy food, and a little of the habanero goes a long way.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I grow them but give them to my Dad and brother. A wee bit too hot for me. But made this sauce for them once and they loved it....
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bobs-Habanero-Hot-Sauce---Liquid-Fire/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=habanero&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=community%20list

Let them ripen (red) before picking the habanero -- at least that's what I do.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks SO much! That sauce sounds like one that DH will LOVE!!! You are right orchid923…A little does go a LONG way! Thanks!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

tlm - i cut & freeze. Then add a small amount to any soup stock I make in the winter for just a bit of "kick".

PlantThang/Yolie is the one who can provide the recipes for these. She even makes a spicy butter. Have you looked over on the recipe forum?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.