Fuschia

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

As you know, I'm relatively new to Oregon gardening, specifically Oregon coast gardening (being from SoCal originally.) Imagine my surprise, after we clearing ten years growth of blackberries from our new yard, uncovering a HUGE fuschia bush, in full bloom. The only fuschias I've ever encountered have been the delicate tropicals that hang in baskets next to the begonias, well misted and cared for. And here is a gigantic, sprawling bush that seems impervious to harsh weather or treatment! And then I noticed that the neighbor up the street has one too. Is this a common plant on the Oregon coast? It's seems kind of miraculous to me!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, they are hardy fuchsias. Check out the fuchsia forum for hardys.

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

And be prepared to beat those blackberry's back at least twice a year. Do not leave anything that can rust out side. That area seems to take back over where ever it can. Welcome to the jungle...lol

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Thanks Willow and Jokenna!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

My Mom (Bellingham up near Canadian border) had a big Fuchsia magellanica that came back every year . I think it is considered the most reliable perennial fuchsia. We would usually hack it off to near the ground in spring, but it would grow up the fence half bush-half climber and bloom every year.
i still have a list from 1995- hybrid fuchsias from Sundquist Nursery, that would come back most years in Seattle, it is a page long. It includes Tom Thumb, Santa Claus and Army Nurse, all varieties I still see for sale.
They recommend good drainage, light shade to full sun. Clearly whatever conditions you have are favorable!

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Ours is a monster! It's about 6 feet tall right now.

Thumbnail by lynnala
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Those are going to be beautiful. And you can cut them to the ground early next spring or right after blooming to get all the old stuff cleaned out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.