"Sorticulture" in Everett Fri-Sun

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone. Sorticulture is a "Garden Art Festival" they have every year at Legion Memorial Park. I am going Friday for the first time with my sister for her birthday. We have both become a bit crazed and obsessive about succulents, and we both want some interesting containers. I went to Molbaks and Lowes, and bought lots of succulent starts (many for 2.29$ at Molbaks) and we are going to plant ourselves some containers. I just looked at the Sorticulture website-it's not just art and pots, but there will be plant venders too- I have ordered from Edelweiss Perennials (Oregon) and The Desert Northwest (Sequim) with great success.
The PNW forum has not been very active lately, we seem to have lost most of our busiest post-ers, and the sticky at the top is from 2008! So I thought I would alert you all to this event, in case you have not spent enough money on your garden this year (ha ha), and do not plan to work in your garden this weekend because you can only work in the garden when it is cold and raining.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi mlm; thanks for the post. I'm too far away, unfortunately. We'll have to discuss growing succulents in the PNW. I've only grown them in SoCal, and I'm curious as to how they will do on the Oregon coast.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the information. I wish I could go, as it sounds like a great event, but I am always too busy with work this time of year....maybe when I retire someday, I'll get to go to it. I hope you share pictures so I can enjoy it vicariously. I bet others would be interested too.

On a positive not, I just finished 2 years of coursework. So I will be more active on the forum soon, though my garden has become a jungle of weeds in the meantime and I fear it might be easier to clear everything out and start over. I might need occasional support and inspiration when I begin to unearth the place.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

mauryhill; sounds like you and I are in the same boat!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

HI mauryhill, The lily you gave me is going to bloom this year. Can't wait. Will be posting some updates soon. Bob is finally home just yesterday from re-hab after 6 weeks. Congradulations on finishing all that work. Hope you can relax soon.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

So, mlm being my sister and Friday being my birthday, we had to drag my husband down to the event. We had a blast and probably bought more than we should have. Ok, definitely bought more than we should have. But it was great fun. There were lots of vendors and it was free. There was a ton of garden art, from whimsy to artsy to weird. Not sure what category the flying pig made out of a propane tank fits in. Parking was limited and the city bus had a special run at $1 each way to take people from a parking area. It worked pretty well and the pitcher plants were definitely a conversation starter with the other passengers. :)

lynnala-The only ones I've grown in the garden are hens and chicks which do great in a rocky wall, some groundcover sedums like 'Angelina' which does great but is mostly green, possibly because it is not hot, and the tall sedums which are great and carefree. Oh and when I gardened on beach sand by a lake I tended a sad large Agave? that needed more heat and would finally try (fail) to bloom in October. Maybe in hotter Oregon it would do better. The succulents we got will have to be at least half-time houseplants.

Mauryhillfarm- have fun unearthing! I seem to do a lot of it too, I planted things then didn't have time to take proper care too.

Willow- I hope you and Bob are doing well. This is decent weather- maybe he can sit in the yard, do his PT (assuming he has exercises assigned) and keep you company while you garden. You made tons of progress on your place so hopefully now it's more the fun stuff.

momlady- that was fun. Of course Thalictrum, pitcher plants and mosquito plants are not succulent pots. And neither is woodpecker wall art. But then there were no planter venders there (first I wrote pot venders but that sounded wrong) so what were we supposed to do? And a trip to the eye doctor was not really what I had in mind for your birthday, but the cake was good. Hey everybody guess what we did. I made her a double chocolate cake, but we were too tired to make the usual fancy homemade chocolate frosting, so we melted a big raspberry/chocolate/almond bar in the microwave and dripped it on the cake. Total gourmet.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

mlm; I just identified a sedum I have: Cape Blanco. I brought it up from California and it barely survived two Troutdale winters, but here on the coast it is thriving. I'm going to look into more sedums.

Thumbnail by lynnala

It looks pretty and happy. I like the pot too. I have ones similar to it that were here when I moved in-they have survived for years without any care at all.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have that sedum also. It is my very favorite one. Brought some with me from my old house.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I plan to spread it all around.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

There is another one I like, that same color with a little red around the edges. Will get a picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.