Roebellini Palms

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm getting a ton of green growth underneath my roebellini palms. I'm wondering if the seeds that drop are producing seedlings or if there was just a bunch of weed seed in my mulch? What do you think?

Thumbnail by LAKelley2 Thumbnail by LAKelley2
San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Definitely palm seedlings.

noonamah, Australia

i agree they're palm seedlings. P. roebellinii seeds are quite small.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow... I've been pulling them up as weeds. So.... I have tons of them and I definitely do not want them to grow there. Is it worthwhile to transplant into pots?

noonamah, Australia

They can be potted up, just depends on how many you want to keep, or give away.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

How many adults do you have? You need at least one of each sex for this to happen. Here in California you almost never see this... at least under P roebelleniis. All Phoenix can be pollinated by any other Phoenix species, so many of the naturally growing Phoenix here are hybrids... but for some reason, I rarely see P roebellenii have fertile seeds here. Just the bigger species. Congratulations.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I have three different multiples. I normally trim them severely in the spring to keep themmout of our way on thempool deck, so they don't look as full as they usually are in this pic. We are getting ready to have my daughters wedding in this area as the backdrop and these needed trimming and time to grow a bit before the wedding. I also usually cut off the seed stalks but sometimes they get away from me.

Thanks! I'm going to pot up a bunch this weekend and see how I do with them!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.