What's Mid-Atlantic?

Rhinebeck, NY

New to the region, I'm not sure if this far up the Hudson I'm "Mid-Atlantic" (I'd have thought that was Virginia & environs) or "Northeast" (I then think Maine!).
What are the "borders" here?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have no set boundaries, all participants are welcome. At the plant swap in NJ a couple of weeks ago we had folks from as far as Maine. Welcome!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The MA blurb on the community page "A hearty welcome to those who garden along the Atlantic Seaboard of the U.S. From the Delmarva Peninsula to the Big Apple, the Mid-Atlantic region is packed with U.S. history, gardens, and of course, gardeners."

and our motto on the NE forum is 'If you are northeast of somewhere, you are welcome here!

The only thing that would separate the 2 is the plant hardiness zones, were those in VA can grow a lot more outside than those in Maine. Even if you're looking for specific plant info and advice, you are welcome at any forum!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome JB, and tell us about your garden!

Rhinebeck, NY

Not much to my garden yet; we're just getting started.
It's a big "downsizing" from what we used to have.
Just trying to find a niche at the moment.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Several of us cross-over between Northeast and Midatlantic forums, so you have company if you choose both. Both full of nice people.

I guess Midatlantic zones run 6 to 8 bordering 9 in microclimates, and Northeast tends to 7 and cooler.

Rhinebeck, NY

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my "zone" is; I've checked different websites and get different answers: 6; 5; or 5b.
That's all sounding pretty "Northeast" to me.
BTW, my aunt & uncle lived in Back Bay Brach MD, and that was a really different climate from here!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I live about 50 miles due west of Back Bay Branch, MD and my climate is quite different from there. Less than 20 miles from me it is another half zone colder yet.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome to this lovely bunch of people--JB!
With each passing day, month/year you will feel more and more 'at home" here.

We are, probably, the kindest, friendliest, and most generous people on DG.
I have long considered DG my "home away from home'.....been here since 2003.

Now we have TWO JB's......the other one lives in PA. How we gonna get around that?
The JB in PA is our Holiday Cactus expert. She is a feisty, old Broad,,,said lovingly.....:o)

I live in N.E. Baltimore County"...in an area called Perry Hall or Nottingham...
White Marsh is also used, broadly, to describe this area--probably due to the big White Marsh Mall
nearby. All, kind of, one area. I am very close to I-95.
Should you ever travel down this way--I am a good stopping over point....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Careful JB, if you stop at Gita's you better have plenty of room for plants. ;-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

David----how do you know? You have never been here.................:o)

But--you are, sort of, correct--no gardener has ever gone away empty-handed.

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Urban legend

Rhinebeck, NY

Sounds like my kind of stopover!
You can never have too many plants!
Forr years, I carted plants taken from my mother's and my grandmother's gardens all over the US.
Lost them all when we moved abroad, and I was not able to bring any of my "foreign" plants "home" with me, so now I'm starting from scratch (not counting, of course) the plantings left by the previous owner.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Many of us frequent both the mid-at and theNE forums. Agreed that we are a friendly bunch. Rhinebeck, is that near West Point? Guess I could google it.

Rhinebeck, NY

It's not too far. Maybe 30 minutes, but other side of the river!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

JB--NY

Brace yourself for our spring Seed Swap--IF you want to make the trip.
It is held in Frederick and Jill (critter) organizes it.
We pig out at Chef Lin's Chinese Buffet and then party, talk and trade.

I, for one, have about 60 different seeds--95% from my own garden--some from the garden dept,
at the Home Depot where i work (PT)...

How long a drive would it be for you to Baltimore? Then add an hour to Frederick....
Overnight stay at my house is always available...I live by myself. Have room!

We usually car-pool from this neck of the woods...SallyG--Robin--coleup and me.

Just a thought.......:o] Gita

Rhinebeck, NY

Sounds like fun, Gita, but I'm still getting used to driving in the US again. Hardly know my way around here, let alone all the way to Baltimore!
When is this held? Maybe I can contribute some seeds.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Usually end of February....

Where abroad did you live? How long did you live there? Was someone in the Military?
I am from Europe myself--ages ago--from Latvia.
Came to the US in 1951.

from your post--I presume you are used to driving on the other side? Ei?

OK--bedtime......Gita

Rhinebeck, NY

No, used to driving in less traffic!
We lived all over, working with the UN.
Never been in the Baltic States (only the Balkans lol).

By next February, who knows? But I don't know about winter driving here yet!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.