Who laid these eggs

Longboat Key, FL

We live right on the water.

I walked by an Ixora hedge and, noisily, flushed some large bird. It was gone so fast that I couldn't see what it was. As regards large birds, we are populated with Blue Heron, Egrets, Sea gulls and a myriad of ducks.

I parted the shrubs and, lo and behold, seven large white eggs. (Chicken sized.)

Who did it?

Someone please help while I wait to see the parent return.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Egrets have blue eggs.
Great Blue Herons have greenish-blue eggs.
Most of the Gulls I've looked at all seem to have bluish-green, to an olive green.

So I guess those could be eliminated…As for Ducks…I believe there are 150 different species(going by what i've read in Audubon).

Good question…
I'll be interested to hear if you see the parent come back. :-)

After noticing where you said you are…In the Keys…Are you all not kind of overrun with chickens? Maybe a chicken? :-)

Longboat Key, FL

Not a chicken unless they've suddenly learned how to fly

Longboat Key, FL

No sighting yet, but could it be a pelican?

(o_O)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry to not be able to answer you knowledgebly on the subject. I'm sure the educated bird folk here will answer you soon.

As I remember,... Sydney (sugarweed) who used to be more active here in our Florida forum, is a huge bird fan. Otherwise, I think there is a forum you are aware of,... that will help you in your enquiry.

This message was edited May 27, 2013 5:00 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't know, but whatever it is it has dark down because that's all around the eggs. Did momma ever come back? I sure hope so.

Erin

Longboat Key, FL

Someone on birdforum opines that it is a brown dabbling duck.

Who knows?

Be well (o_0)

Could be…Found this info…Interesting… http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw287

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok Brad, fess up, how did those eggs taste for your breakfast?

Longboat Key, FL

Uggghhh.

It is still a mystery.

The broken egg shells were clean. It does not appear that some varmint gobbled them up so neatly. I hope (maybe futilely) that the eggs hatched and the ducklings waddled away. Who knows?

In any event, the mother duck laid these eggs on top of a wall. If there were ducklings, there was no way that they could walk into the water. (It is a jump off of the seawall.) And they couldn't climb back up.

Who knows?

Be well

(o_O)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm still here, I just lurk rather than post unless I think I can contribute.
I have many terrific bird books, but none that IDs eggs.
This year we hatched out Coot hens, Limpkins, Blue Herons and some Ugly Muskogee Ducks. Even they are darling when young.
Next Spring I will be much more actively watching nest.
Ha, like they would let me find their nest.
S-eye-d-n-e-y

Longboat Key, FL

I am certain: brown dabbling duck.

Be well -- and have a Happy Fourth

(o_O)

Glad, and good to know! :-)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I got your message loud and clear Sidney! HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

I only mentioned your name in this thread earlier because I knew you were one of the premier Florida bird watchers on DG. (from past very informational threads you have made that I appreciated and noticed right when I joined)

I apologize for misspelling your name when mentioning your knowledge of birds above,... as "Sydney"...

Oy vey...................................

Anyway,...I thought your fun and witty spelling-it-out-as-though-I-was-a-fool thing was so funny!

S-eye-d-n-e-y.

Sorry Sidney,
I promise not to make that mistake again, and I'll bet you are the life of the party wherever you go! We should here more from you again here on DG. You have so much to share. Send us some pic's of your gardens in Okee! I love that area. I have no doubts we would all love to see what you are up to down there!

Happy Gardening and keep those eyes to the sky!

David

This message was edited Jul 2, 2013 7:12 PM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope flyboy doesn't get upset at this hijacking.
David, you are so good natured. I've been wanting to do that for so long. Many of other folks I have known for years spell it with 2 y's also.
I ask my mother one day why she named me Sidney. She said Daddy had a habit of calling his teachers by their first name.
She spelled it like the coach spelled it. I was named somewhat after Daddy's wrestling coach.
Sidney

Longboat Key, FL

Sidney and David:

I give it to you.

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary to dissolve the topical bonds to a thread -- it becomes necessary do so, willingly and graciously.

Be well

And -- enjoy the Fourth.

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.