Tiarella should be in everyone's shade garden

(Zone 4b)

I bet I posted about this plant last year. Anyways it is in all its glory this week. I have 3 of them and they are hardy, pest free with good foliage. In the right shady location their soft feathery flowers just light up the area. Here is a close-up of one of mine.

Thumbnail by rouge21

That's a nice one. What variety?

(Zone 4b)

"Sugar and Spice". It forms a well- behaved clump (approx 15" wide by 12" high or so).

This message was edited May 28, 2013 12:59 PM

I have a few varieties here but 'Sugar and Spice' seems to have more pink in the flowers. Very pretty.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a few 'Sugar and Spice' also, and think they have bigger and pinker blooms than the others that I have. They are in bloom in Virginia right now too.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

They are very nice!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Mine are starting to go to seed now. Any hints on harvesting some seed, or growing these lovelies from seed?

I like how they play well with others.

Found this interesting page the other day
http://www.arkive.org/heartleaved-foamflower/tiarella-cordifolia/

This message was edited May 30, 2013 2:27 AM

Thumbnail by coleup
(Zone 4b)

'coleup' it was just recently that I discovered that there are varieties of "Foamflower" that are (gentle) 'spreaders' i.e. the cordifolia varieties. I had assumed they were all 'clumpers' like my "Sugar and Spice".

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I too love Tiarella, we have 7 of the Susquehanna variety. They are beautiful and I love the leaves!

(Zone 4b)

And for such a delicate looking flower, it lasts a very long time!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have tried some tiarella cordifolia varieties,
so so far I don't like the flowers or foliage as well as the clumping varieties.
I've had more success with a faster spreading relative heucherella Sunspot
to form a groundcover to stabilize a dry shady slope.
I think a beautiful clump of tiarella is prettier,
but the spreading heucherella sometimes serves a purpose.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Your Tiarella looks beautiful under that tree. I hope ours is that pretty in a few years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.