Quote from tlm1 :
hehe…Might work for birds too!

OK ! yes a dove or two happens !

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL!!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

What a regal bird!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

well, as everyone has had to listen to, Im on my last nerve with the hawks feeding at the bird feeders, and worse than that, are the screaming squirrels.
They are beautiful birds tho.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Johnny - where have you been hiding? Good to hear from you. I need to borrow your squirrel "protector"!!!! Will feed him well!!!

My 1 faithful Brug is back & blooming. Hopefully he will actually grow a bit this year.

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Talk about Hawks takin over bird feeder's this guy wasn't, but believe me, I had counted heads as I brought my dogs in the house~

I had just gotten a new camera, and he sat on that gog kennel for at least 1/2 an hour, so i took every kind of picture I could! And he is still hanging around as of today! They are beautiful birds, but he doesn't get in my bird feeders!!!

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Looks like a red shouldered hawk. They are beautiful but catch and eat the smaller birds.
Great pics. Jami.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Great shots Jami, when the hawks come around our garden I know I have baby birds somewhere. I see them everyday when I go walking in the morning, lots of large native oaks.

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I think he found a bird! I was out at my shed the other day, got the ladder out and was tying up my scarlet trumpet honeysuckle plant, it had grown up the side of the shed, so I climbed onto the roof and laid more twine for the plant to travel. When I got on the roof, I saw all these little fine feather's, looked like it had snowed on the roof, I'm looking up in the trees for a birds nest , thinking they might have been learning to fly, lol, my hubby saw me, and from where he was standing, he yelled at me and said" Looks like the hawk got a bird to eat" I was horrified, looking for tell all signs of him eating a defenseless baby, but all that was there were the feather's! I was weirded out the rest of the day thinking about it!! I know it's about survival, but when it's in your face, ugh!!!

Anyway, you may be correct, I haven't seen him lately, so he may have ate all he could here, and is somewhere else now. I keep track of my pooche's, afraid he may attack them, thinking dinner time. He is a beautiful bird though!

Have a great day everyone ! Jami

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

well is my picture that bad ?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

LoveBrug your picture is beautiful. I know they are a regal looking bird but when I see them I always hope they don't notice my ponds. Hopefully they don't like koi or goldfish for lunch.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry LoveBrug you started this whole thread and yes you got a great picture too. I found this one a bit later and should have looked all the way to the top. Guess I was in a hurry that day.

Jami it was disheartening me too the day a hawk took a baby cardinal out of the nest. I had been watching mom and dad for a couple weeks take such good care of their little baby (even got pictures), and they were tremendously upset that day just a squawking away for a few hours. Unfortunately attracting birds to the gardens also attracts the hawks looking for a free meal, and I'm not talking about the birdseed. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.