Citrus leaf miner

Longboat Key, FL

I am pretty sure I've got them -- on my Lychee and citrus and avocados.

They are light blue-green and voracious. They eat nice semi-circles out of the new leaf edges.

Except for finding them and squeezing them dead -- what do I do to get rid of them?

Be well

(o_O)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Spinosad is the ticket, and the only thing I know that is NOT systemic and gets rid of those in a heartbeat on edibles.

Longboat Key, FL

Thank you.

Where can I find it?

How do I use it?

Be well

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi flyboyFL, I learned of this also from David…I found a pre-mixed version of it at our local ACE Hardware…"Captain Jack's Deadbug"…Ready to use spray…
Forgot to add…for organic gardening. I've yet to try it because we've had rain the last couple of days. Sure hope it works!

This message was edited May 20, 2013 2:45 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll be looking for "Captain Jack's" to see if its more or less cost effective at 'Ace' now.

Thanks for sharing Tara!...

If you look at the 2013 (continued) thread Flyboy, and scroll down a little,......... there is a picture of the bottle by ferti-lome and bit of information more on the product. The bottle will tell you usage once you have it. It has worked for me.

Orlando, FL

This message was edited May 25, 2013 8:28 AM

Longboat Key, FL

i have just ordered some Captain Jack's Dead Bug from Amazon. $15.37 for a pint of concentrate -- delivered. I subscribe to Prime so I will have it in two days. Pretty nice!

Thanks Dave.

I, too, have two citrus that are sickly. Maybe it'll help them, as well.

I hope, I hope, I hope

Be well

(o_O)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am confused are you talking about pieces cut out of the edge of the leafs- if so this might be the work of a bee.
If it looks like some on wrote wiggly lines on the leaves-this is the work of Citrus leaf miner.

If it is the bees I would not do anything as these are pollinators

Longboat Key, FL

No. I was wrong about the "miner." This is definitely an "edger." You can spot the little devil in the middle of this photo.

Be well

(9o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The good thing is that the Spinosad will work on these too!

yes those are bad

Longboat Key, FL

Should I spray the ground under the tree as well?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Always.

Longboat Key, FL

OK . The stuff arrived on time -- and I was out this morning,, in my Dave's Garden t-shirt, spraying. Now I have to buy a shovel and barrel for tomorrow morning, in order to pick up all the dead bugs.

Be well

(o_O)

LOL!!! Glad to hear that! I had to go out and spray my cukes this morning…Leaf miners, and what looks like it could be mildew? Geez, I hope not, but with the rain and humidity, temps already hitting 90* today… Guess it could be.

Tlm1 what part of Jax do you live in? There are 4/6 of us that I know of (a couple might not me on DG any more.
Or have I already asked this question??? LOL

Hi wren, Nice to meet you. I'm on the westside of town. Cedar River. Where are you?

Bonnie and I are over here near Regency, Jeremy is over near you and Linda and one other are also on the westside.

I've heard the names, but haven't met. I did meet Jean/Qwilter about a month ago. Had a great time at Pat's nursery! Love that place!

btw…Bonnie is beautiful!

This message was edited May 23, 2013 12:27 PM

You should get to Plant Ranch nursery or Maggie's Herb farm both are nice
I have not meet Jean yet

Funny you should mention Plant Ranch…I've got a neighbor that said something about taking a ride out there one day. I got my pineapple sage from a woman at the RAM that was up here selling from Maggies Farm. I'll have to venture that way one of these days.
I have a sister that lives in Arlington…Not far from Regency.

Longboat Key, FL

Leaf miners -- malathion gets them.

hehe…Hi flyboy…Sorry for the hi-jack!!!! Back to business! Stay away from the malathion if you want to eat the food!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Malathion does not work on Leafminer. Only systemic. The flies leave their eggs under the skin of leaves and they crawl around under the epidermis preventing most topicals like Malation from acting on them. It will work on topical bugs like the ones we have been made aware of that seems to be your issue, from Wren's wise answer to your pictures and wrongly titled thread. It's unfortunate we can't delete and edit titles for threads.

The Spinosad will work on both.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I forgot to say, that I have no further information to share on this subject,....research it more, and I wish you success.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

"Malathion does not work on Leaf miner" +1 on that

Malathion is very good at killing things like MANY things. Asian leaf miner seems to be not it.

This message was edited May 23, 2013 6:21 PM

Longboat Key, FL

I hope, I hope, I hope

Be well -- all

(o_O)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

A friend of mine says she uses sticky fly traps for leaf miners. They are sticky on both sides. You hang it on your plant and peel off one side. When it is full of flies on the one side, you peel off the other. I think they are pretty reasonably priced too. No chemicals that way either.

Erin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.