Plumeria from Spring swap

Tucson, AZ

Thanks, Mike! Novelty started blooming today.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Phoenix, AZ

Oooh lucky you! Fantastic photo :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

How pretty!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

How gorgeous !

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Still hoping for blooms this year, but no signs yet.

Tucson, AZ

Thanks, ya'll. Those were some nice plumeria. I think many of use have chances of seeing blooms this year. I am definitely looking forward to Mardi Gras blooming. http://blog.chron.com/lazygardener/files/legacy/Plumeria.NM.MardiGras.jpg Image how vibrant it will look in Arizona with our heat!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

No inflos here, but they are doing great in the shade.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm just thrilled that they have leaves and don't appear to be dying.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

I'm happy some have started to bloom D,Novelty can hold her own with the best of them as far as blooming,here is a pic. of the donor tree this mourning.

Thumbnail by sonorarat
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! I can't wait to have mine bloom.

Tucson, AZ

w o w! That is one nice plumie, Mike. Novelty has been doing good and the flowers are holding on with fragrance.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Any special trick to getting them to flower, or do I just need to be patient?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mine are doing well, growing, and getting lots of leaves. But no blooms yet. Maybe I should give them some Bloom Booster.

Pam

Tucson, AZ

Pam - I'd use a balanced fertilizer before using the bloom booster.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

frogymon,if your plants are receiving adequate sun and moisture you should be rewarded,I agree with D most bloom booster ferts are to high in (P) phosphorus

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Then I shall wait patiently.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

Mardi Gras has been blooming for a few days,not quite hot enough to push her into dark hues

Thumbnail by sonorarat Thumbnail by sonorarat
Tucson, AZ

wow! those are some nice blooms. waiting patiently for a inflo on my mardie gras.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I disagree about the Bloom Buster. In my extremely limited experience, if I don't use BB on my plumeria & hibiscus, they drop mature yellow leaves continually. When I switched to BB, it stopped immediately. I don't know if it actually increases blooming, but my plants are a lot healthier.

Phoenix, AZ

Awesome pics. I haven't tried growing plumeria here. Do they do ok in the winter freezing temps?
How long does a plumeria flower last in this hot 106 deg weather..do they bloom and burn wither same day?

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

az-garden,all plumeria need some form of protection from a freeze,they can take it for a few hours,but not much more.Flower life varies from one day to as many five,depending on the cultivar.

Tucson, AZ

Novelty starting blooming again on the same inflo! Apparently, I was not watering well enough and the inflo took a break from blooming.

I am excited because Mardi Gras is pushing out an inflo. Woo hoo!

How are the plumies that ya'll brought home from the Spring Swap doing?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are showing nice growth, but no inflos.

Tucson, AZ

The roots should be growing equally nice. Stronger plants for better blooms when it blooms next spring. :)

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mine have produced a ton of growth, but no inflos in the shade. I'm glad I kept them shaded however, so they will have strong root growth and go crazy next year.

Tucson, AZ

Are they getting any direct sunlight?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Mine get about 4 hours full sun, then muted sun, growing like weeds, get lots of water and no blooms.

But they are still beautiful.

Tucson, AZ

I think they bloom in their own time. : )

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This is a photo of my plumeria forest.

Behind is the cannas on steroids.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Mesa, AZ

Beautiful! If I recall, plumies like to be fed as much as often as roses..

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We had upped the feeding schedule. We are still in triple digit temperatures, so it is still warm enough for them. The majority were sent me from my sister. There were about 1 ' cuttings she purchased at the Santa Barbara fair.

Sonorarat also sent me three nice sized plumeria.

I actually like them even if they do not bloom. Very tropical looking. But you guys would probably hear me in Arizona if I came out and found an inflo.

Hugs, Sharon

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay folks, what's the recommended fertilizer and how often should I apply it?

Tucson, AZ

They look very healthy, Sharon. Yes! I am all to familiar with the "I found an inflo" yell. haha!

Frogymon, I have been all over the map when it comes to ferts. I recently switched back to 10-16-38 from granular. I am also using one of the Dyna-Gro ferts because it has all of the good micros that are important.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Detrick, thanks.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

Sharon,your forest is amazing,i will keep my ears open

Frogymon, I use 17-5-24 with excellent results and on occasion supplement with aged cow manure.

D,most of E.T's cultivars bloom easily hope you get some good color,i still have some plumies blooming, this one is enjoying some light rain

Thumbnail by sonorarat
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

17-5-24. Where would I find that. Do you dig your own aged cow manure or do you purchase it in a bag?????

Still have my cold but still also have my sense of humor.

I went out yesterday and talked to my plumies. I rubbed their leaves and told them mama was here just waiting for an inflo. We had a down pour on Saturday and a steady rain all day Sunday. Nice warm, muggy day today. I had several appointments today so I did not get my normal walk in the garden. Tomorrow we shall have another chat. They are loaded with praying mantis. I think there might have been some white flies but there was a whole family of mantis so I do not think they were there long. BUT, I still love them, even without the blooms. So tropical.

Hugs, Sharon (Mother Winter)

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've had a lot of mantis on my plumies too.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well today I went out and talked to them again. Had a nice shower of rain again today. A canna bloom fell off so I put it on a plummie. It just did not look right.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Please post pic of canna on plumie. Duct tape it on and solidify your character as riff-raff!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I will do that. Pioche riff-raff. Old girl from a very small mining town in the mountains of Nevada near the Utah border.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.