Rasberries have flowers but no fruit forming.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause raspberry flowers to not form fruit at all. The bumble bees are on the flowers going through the stamens so I'm pretty sure they are getting pollinated but not one berry is forming. Any ideas? Fertilized with fish emulsion two weeks ago and manure in early spring.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My raspberries thrive on neglect and no fertilization. While I cannot say it's true for raspberries, I know fertilizing some plants puts out lots of growth but no fruits.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Hm, this seems possible.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

And I just fertilized my raspberries!

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I've never grown the cultivated ones, but the wild black raspberries and blackberries here have never been fertilized and they sometimes set bumper crops. The blackberries set and ripen later than the black raspberries and often peter out due to lack of sufficient water.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Ugh! My dumb raspberries have hundreds of flowers but not a single one is making fruit! They look like they have everything but the fruit part, sepals, that middle part that the berries surround etc. I think they are steril somehow, genetically or a virus?

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

usually when you have a really lush, happy, healthy plant that is growing like crazy, but not setting fruit, it is because there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Santa Cruz should be the perfect weather for it! (I was just in Pescadero a couple of weeks ago -- beautiful!)

You might try countering it with more acid. (Dried coffee grounds, vinegar diluted in water, ground up pine needles, peat moss...)

If you have flowers that won't convert to fruit, are you sure you've got bees? that could also be your problem...

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes have bees, wild hive in the back good fruit set on all other fruite trees vines and brambles!

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep... give it a good drink of something acidic. You've probably got too much nitrogen hanging around!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.