night moves

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

At least after the raindrops dried off hee took off for that halogen above the parking lot... she?

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Found in the wee midnight hours just north of Bristol, Va. Do they have a he or she difference at this stage? Such TINY cats!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Aha !!! found this again !! with more pictures ,, Thank you for the pics ,,

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Ju. was nice to see we have cat pix in PF. BUT I have no answer to Luna lives.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

So beautiful! Lucky you! I love Lunas. I was lucky to get a cat last year that spun it's cocoon immediately upon getting in the screen covered 5 gal bucket.. I kept it and was rewarded with a beautiful huge moth to release one night. I didnt get to see it eclose, I was in bed and i only heard it flapping around in the spare room (dont know how it got out.) Myfeline cats were seriously interested in that sound.
There is a way to tell male from female, although i cannot remember it. (google it) I have several pecan trees in the yard, and it is a cat host food. Hope to find more this year.

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

To differentiate between male and female moths you look at the antennae. Males have wide feathery antennae and females have much narrower antennae. The Luna in the photo above is a male because he has wide feathery antennae.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I had wondered why my moth had the feathers the pix I saw in PF didn't... Thanx!

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

And what glorious antennae they are!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The sad thing about the Luna moth is that they don't have mouth parts. It only eats in the larval stage, storing up fat. As an adult it doesn't live long, they just mate, lays egg and die. :-(

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - I didn't realize they didn't eat at all................. it is such a beautiful creature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.