Baskets, pockets and epiphytes. Show us.

Big Pine Key, FL(Zone 11)

I've always been a fan of hanging baskets, the bigger the better. I recall the wonderful baskets at Disney...just incredible. For years I've grown aroids and ferns in baskets. As of late following a Key Deer attack on my bromeliads I've taken to growing them as epiphyte and in baskets or on hangers to get them up out of range of these furry raiders.

So show us your baskets, pockets and epiphytes and tell us how you grow off the ground.

1. Neo 'Bossa Nova'
2. Anthurium shhlectendalii Sep. jimenez
3. Aechmea 'Alverez'
4. Neo 'Super Fireball'
5. Nonlethal 'Moulin Rouge'

Scott

Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude

1. 5' x 3' driftwood slab covered with epiphytes at a local nursery. They only wanted a mere $2500.00!!!
2. Ae. 'Bert' ...excellent epiphyte.
3. Neo. 'Tiger'
4. Anthurium sp.
5. Portea petropolitana... traditionally a terrestrial but is a fine epiphyte

Scott

Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude
Orlando, FL

Holy bromeliad heaven!!! LOVE IT!! Gorgous collection. Moulin rouge is INCREDIBLE! I wish I had trees. I have driftwood though...

1. Neo. 'Petra'
2. Anthurium 'Marie'
3. Philodendron giganteum
4. Neo. olens colony 3' diameter
5. Neo. 'Fireball' & Phal.

Scott

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow!!! You have inspired me, Scott. I just wish that I had your climate! Beautiful!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Your pictures are fascinating Scott. Thank you so much for sharing your magical Epiphytes. Great ideas you have shared! I am also inspired by them.

Beautiful, tropical and another Wow!

Keep up the good works,

David

Thank you for your kind words, loco and Tim. We do have a great climate for tropicals as long as the Key Deer, iguanas and hurricanes leave us alone.

1. Neo. 'Kahala Dawn'
2. Neo. 'Yellow King' hanging from Anthurium 'Superbum'
3. Anthurium coronation
4. Neo. 'Paula''
5. Neo. 'Cotton Candy' (Groves)

Scott

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

O gosh, these are all very nice.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful collection. Are they planted in Spanish moss inside the pots or any soil?

Bonnie

David, gardenglory and Bonnie...again thanks...and in answer to Bonnie's question, nope, the Spanish moss is strictly decorative used to cover up hanging pots or baskets. I often use it to mask the point where I attach plants to limbs.
The soil mix I use is very light and porous...equal parts shredded pine bark, cypress mulch and promix.

1. Neo cruenta 'Red'
2. Neo 'Royal Burgundy'
3. Microsorum scolopendria ...wart fern

Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude Thumbnail by olddude
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful colors! Mine are not so pretty most of the year, kind of grayish. The flowers are a pretty pink when they are blooming. I took a guess what kind they were to add them to my tradelist, but really I don't have a clue.

Erin

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Olddude very nice collection of bromeliads, a great idea to grow them as epiphytes and you have the perfect weather to do that down there. I know there is a Bromeliad forum on here that would love to see your collection also. I only have one hanging epiphyte, a Dendrobium nobile, which is nice because it can take some very cold temps, in fact helps it to bloom.
Thanks for sharing.

My cane orchid when it was blooming in Feb. and March.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous stuff you have there Olddude!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Would you know what this one is called OldDude? I would appreciate it...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

David,
Nice plant, plenty of light for good foliage color. Try out Guzmania 'Kapoho Flame' and 'Kapoho Fire'.

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/7833539/fullscreen

Scott

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you very much Scott.

Now I know and you were right!

It is always better knowing the name!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm in amazement! Gorgeous plants you have there. What a great idea to connect them all on a piece of driftwood of that size. Have a couple small pieces of drift wood that I do this with, but nothing at all like yours. Just amazing! :)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I forgot to say that Cane Orchid is spectacular too Sunkissed.

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Sunkissed, I do agree with David. Your orchid is very pretty, I'd like to get one of those. David, yours is very pretty too! Nice and healthy.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Scott,

They look fantastic! What do you use to actually attach the plant to the tree/driftwood.

I have some that I want to "plant" in a tree and get growing as an epiphyte.

Shauna

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been wondering where you were Shauna. Great hearing from you, and I agree Scott's gardening concepts are fascinating. I am planning on using some of his ideas as well.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

David, I had a plumbing emergency that turned into a remodeling fiasco. The valve that feeds water to my dishwasher leaked and now I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. The water leaked into the room next to my kitchen, which happens to be my son's room. Spent most of the last week replacing the drywall and repainting his room.

Fun times! :-(

Oh well, luckily insurance is covering the cost.

On a more happier note, I have a bunch of bromeliads and a great spot in the nook of a tree that I think would be perfect to "plant" a few of them in.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Better the plumbing then you ar a family member! Glad all is getting back together for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.