lots & lots of these cocoons what are they?

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

since my landscape is littered with them, I hope i'm in for a treat of butterflies, and not an unwanted invasion.
should I be worried?

Thumbnail by Cajun2 Thumbnail by Cajun2 Thumbnail by Cajun2
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, butterflies don't make cocoons. They make a chrysalis. Looks like you're going to have a moth invasion.

Melanie

OMG I was afraid of that. crap. need to get out there and do some serious "clean up" out there.
I figured that was too good to true. and honestly figured they were all too small for most butterflies anyway.
sadly, I can't say I've ever actually seen a chrysalis. one day.....

and thank you, Melanie. much appreciated.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You're welcome! Every spring I get inundated with Tussock Moths who make similar cocoons all over the house and I have to go around knocking them down.

Melanie

so don't mind me if I don't feel guilty taking as many of them out as I can....

Red Oak, TX

I've never understood why butterflies get to live and moths MUST die. It's a mystery to me. Why not wait and see what it is before destroying it? They evidently didn't do too much damage to begin with if no invasion of caterpillars was noticed. Give a moth a break....they need love, too! :)

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I agree Dale..and so many of the moths are just as beautiful and fascinating.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, look on here at the beautiful Luna moth pix that Kittriana took on the 9th.

I appreciate what you're saying.
We have Luna moths every year at our place.
Fear not... I did not go on the attack.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Welll, some moths are unique, yes, but our general run of the mill miller moths do not impress me. Trying to get shots of some cats that intrigue me, but they glow neon in the camera. well, new thread me, new pix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.