Hellebores

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have some really beautiful Hellebores and they are getting very large, lots of reseeding as well. I have been digging up the new seedlings and giving them away but I would like to divide some of the larger plants. When is the best time to do this?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly did you ever find an answer to this?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No, I haven't had the time to look for it. Been so very busy between my Dad's fall, and the Plant Sale that our Garden Club is having tomorrow and our own garden work. Hopefully I can catch a breath next week to check it out more. I am thinking probably fall would be a good time. These guys are just so very beautiful full of blooms and huge. I might have some very nice plants to give away if there is a fall swap.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Yea I agree they are great. Well I hope that is the case. ;)

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice dig Elsa.

Thanks.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Elsa, Thank you so much for finding those for me. Sounds like mine may be too big and woody to divide easily I may just have to experiment on one of them this fall. Some of mine are about 2ft around.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

(oops -- I double-posted -- see next post)

This message was edited May 10, 2013 11:14 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly -- I recall reading that the best time to divide them is when they are blooming. I divided some this spring that I had to move anyway (they were way too crowded), and divided them very very aggressively (that is a disease of mine) -- AND cut off all the foliage (it was tattered). I was sure they wouldn't make it -- they looked awful. But a week or two later even the scrawniest was sporting signs of new foliage. I don't expect them to bloom next year (though they might surprise me), but I am pretty confident they'll survive. Looking at the Graham Rice site, I realize I am clueless as to what type of hellebores I have -- I don't know if I have the type that should be divided in the spring or (oops) the fall....

Yours are gorgeous. I am the beneficiary of some of your hellebores largess -- I can't wait to see them in bloom!

I especially love the one on your far left photo -- somehow I find the lighter shades -- the near-whites -- most dramatic.

This message was edited May 10, 2013 11:15 PM

Pretoria, South Africa

I agree, your Helebores are just to die for....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.