MidAtlantic bird watching for spring Pt2

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a bird-related question. Our bird feeders are on our patio, near the patio furniture (wrought-iron table and chairs). Our problem: The birds sit on -- and poop all over -- the furniture, and it is not easy to wash off. Have you found any solutions that will stop birds from perching on furniture?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My best bet would be to move the feeders away from the patio. Then the furniture wouldn't be so attractive to perch upon.

If I move my feeders, which many of which are on shepherds crooks, I move them a little at a time toward the destination location. I dunno. Just feel like when feeders move birds don't figure it out very quickly and look confused, if that's possible. :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Amanda. Yes, I had thought of that too - except we like where the feeders are so I think we'll end up moving the furniture! And I thought maybe if I added perches that they'd like???? I have to think what that could be. Maybe some potted plants on the patio?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you have any interest in putting up a gazebo? I have the same problem with my furniture until we put up the top on the gazebo then they stop sitting on the chairs. Guess they don't like to fly in under it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Funny you mention a gazebo -- we've been toying with putting one up where we have an old swing-set. But that is far from where the bird feeders are. There isn't room near the bird feeders for a gazebo -- my patio is narrow and long....

I wonder if they like to perch on whatever is highest? Maybe if I add perches I should make sure they are taller than the chair backs?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That might work.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Heavy on "might!"

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been voting every day and I see you are still in the running. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I voted!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

good reminder, i just voted again.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you all! I really appreciate your support!

Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I keep looking at the photo contest and wondering why people enter some of those pictures. Some of them are just beautiful and amazing. Then there are the dark, very blurry, and obliviously not wildlife pictures.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Holly! I often say to myself "We've all got to start somewhere"

I still haven't figured out how to vote for Karen's pic! Almost had it last night but then couldn't figure out which one is Karen's! Help!

So to those who figured out how to enter a photo which seems more complex to me, hats off. And watch what buttons you click, especially Send cause it's hard to take back.

I've probably taken more pocket pics with my cell phone than actual phone pics!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy--I did the same thing--could not figure it out and then gave up

First--you DO have to fill in the name, user name, password and all that.
Then--somewhere there is a "clcick to vote". You click--and your vote is recorded.

On the top--it says "Search by posters name"...So--put in Allen.
Then up will come all her pictures...The one she entered is where the bird
has the fish impaled with his beak--but not yet in his mouth.

Maybe someone else will direct you better.....
I just scroll back up on this Post till I get to the link she posted,
to click on, to vote...Then do it..

Hmmm..thass all i can tell you...Gita

Holly, i'm guessing like the DG contests- there are people out there who like the thrill of having a photo in the contest , and just have no sense of being 'in the competition' quality wise.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess so we had this discussion then, too. LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wanted to tell that the hummers in my yard are now drinking from a a small fuchsia plant I potted up in hanging basket. You can buy them that way of course but this was supposed to be an upright uprightvariety.

Didn't know if anyone was trying to attract the hummers, but I was quite surprised and pleased when I saw it happening. It's not even on my radar as a plant to attract them. The b&b salvia being the winner hands down.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My hummers won't come down from the mimosa, LOL. It bloomed gloriously this year... fading now, but there are still plenty of blooms for the little lady who was skipping from cluster to cluster along the top of the branches this morning. I had a great view from an upstairs window... saw an aerial battle, too, probably between 2 juvie males, makes me think this year's nestlings are out on their own now.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cool! :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I saw a hummer early today , on bee balm...
Did you all happen to see the photo we were talking about here had 31 votes so far today ...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What mimosa do you have? They sound fascinating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa

Really happy? You dont know Mimosa the common alien tree that even grows wild? Pink fuzzy blooms and sweet smell but seeds are insane at self sowing and flowers can be a mess.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, it's not actually a tree I would recommend. I have one bec. DH is sentimental about it; it's the only plant he specifically requested in our landscaping. The blooms are something else, but I wouldn't put up with the mess if he didn't love it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have one but I love them. I remember seeing one that was covered in more butterflies than I have ever seen at one time. The whole top of the tree was covered, just magical.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Darn, I haven't seen even one hummer this year. They were all over the cannas last year, and they've been blooming for awhile now so I was hoping for humming birds...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter: Oh, now I remember seeing it in your yard. My DH especially loved it.

ssgardener -- thanks for reminding me to look for hummingbirds -- we've been so busy we haven't taken time to look -- many years we put out feeders, but not yet this year. I guess I'm a little mad at the birds since this year they've been pooping all over the patio furniture -- not the hummers, but the others.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Today a bright yellow finch perched itself on some cone flowers and dined on the seeds for about 30 minutes. It was so much fun to watch but I couldn't get a better picture.

You can just barely see a yellow speck sitting on the seed head.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2013 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by ssgardener

Bright yellow means one thing here as far as I know- goldfinch!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I've had hummers every year it seems forever. This year the males are scarce as hens teeth. I photographed two afternoons this week and saw zero males. Geese This one we named long bill. She is sticking out her tongue.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful picture Doc.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow! I've never seen such a thing!!!

And now that I think of it I haven't seen a male yet either.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What distinguishes the male?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Cool pic!
Males have the ruby throat

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're pretty territorial, at least around our area... we usually have one "resident" male, and around the end of July we start seeing several that are probably juveniles, this year's "crop" of offspring. I see photos other people post where they have literally dozens of hummers around a feeder, but not in our yard.

Actually, we've rarely seen them at the feeders this year, no matter how fresh the nectar is... I guess they are loving all the other flowers in the garden, and I think I've mentioned before that when the big mimosa tree is blooming they're seldom out of it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I saw the male this morning early while I was sitting on the front porch with my coffee. I am not usually out for extended periods in the heat and or with TH mosquitoes. And there is a feeder at the back of th house I can watch from a window. So perhaps the boys and girls eat at separate feeders now.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have started a new thread for Fall!

Please join us over here to share your bird stories and photos!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1335658/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.