What is this bugger?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Found these things enjoying a buffet in my tomato plants.

Anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by shauna1219
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks a lot like an Azalea Moth Caterpillar. But I'm not sure. I'll bet they can quickly identify it for sure in the Bug forums...

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I posted it in the bugs forum...but have not had a response back. It does look like an Azalea Moth Caterpillar, but they only seem to like my tomatoes..didn't see any on my azaleas.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

are you on FB? if so find Shady Oak Butterfly Farm, post your picture there she can ID it for you

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the suggestion Wren, I'll give that a try. Since posting the pic, I have been diligent about inspecting the plants and picking the bugs off. My tomatoes are coming along quite nicely.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Could it be army worm? I had them chew so many leaves on a tomato plant, they looked like lace. I'd never seen them before, and had a hard time identifying them.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I googled tomatoe fruit worm--take a look. They eat leaves and fruit.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

:( hundreds- only on maters- have red mouth and stripes! Bug guys are missing

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks to be this....not a good caterpillar at all.
http://www.weekendgardener.net/garden-pests/corn-earworm-060706.htm

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

And to think I laughed at husb. when he put mineral oil on tip of corn when silk started forming. He said that was an old trick. LOL

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I started treating all my veggies with neem oil on a weekly basis after I found those bugs and it has seemed to help eliminate the pests.

We found some different caterpillars eating my corn too and the neem oil seems to have helped with those bugs too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.