Maters!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

This noid volunteer tomato is setting fruit, so maybe I'll be able to figure out what it is.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Green tomatoes - yum!

Gilbert, AZ

How are your tomatoes doin'?

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Almost all the vines are setting fruit; I have 6 varieties in the east side yard, so they get afternoon shade, which will be good once the temps get consistently into 100+.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have quite a few cherries set on from my NOID volunteers. But I kinda know what variety they are by their size!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I think this is the basic slicing variety you get at the grocery store, as the seed sprouted from my compost.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Still, any home grown tomato is delicious! I planted some tomatoes this year just so I could have fried green tomatoes - YUM!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

The Aunt Ruby's German Green, Mortgage Lifter and Large Red Cherry have all set fruit; just waiting on the Romas and Black Krims, and of course, for them to ripen.

Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Harvested a couple of large slicing tomatoes and about a pint of large red cherry tomatoes, plus this year's first habanero. Also picked at least 1 1/2 bushels of apples (made a gallon of applesauce and still have 1/2 bushel of apples left) and at least 15 lbs of grapes.

Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sounds delicious at your place

Mesa, AZ

Impressed Frogymon!

Tucson, AZ

Wow! Now that is impressive.

Gilbert, AZ

Awesome!

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Wonderful tomatoes! Wow. You'll have to give me all of your desert-growing secrets.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I've picked about 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, a couple of the NOID large slicers and 3 Mortgage Lifters. The tomatoes are in a raised bed in the east side yard, so they get morning sun, but are shaded in the hottest part of the day, from about 1:30 onward. They're planted in 100% compost that I buy @ WM, as it's locally produced, organic and costs less than $2.50 cf; each bed is 18" x 65" x 11" and is filled to about 8" deep (approx 7 cf) with compost, then a 2"-3" layer of mulch. I have them on a timer that comes on 1X day for 15 minutes and there's 20' of 1/4" soaker hose snaked through each bed, up and down each 1/4 of the bed, starting and ending at the wall end of the bed. I have 4 beds so far, but there's room for 3 or 4 more, and with a 4 station timer, adding them to the existing drip system will be a breeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.