Pink Pineapple?

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Visited Harry Leu Gardens in Orlando this past Sunday and saw some amazing plants. This one, unmarked, took my breath away. Anybody growing this? Has anyone seen this for sale? Would love to locate some of these. My mom has been growing pineapples for years and know she would be absolutely tickled to get one of these. Not even sure this is a pink pineapple but would like to hear from those of you in the know. This was the first time I ever saw such a plant.

Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida Thumbnail by RetiredFlorida
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't help with the identification but I can sure agree on the fact its incredible!!! Great pictures too!

Jacksonville, FL

That is a Dwarf Pinealpple. (Ananas nanus) The pink flower will later form a small yellow pineapple. I've seen the small pineapples from this plant used in floral arrangements.

Yolie
(NOt Plant Thang)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I am SO about those little pineapples in the flower arrangements. I didnt know they came from such a pretty flower.

Hmmm, maybe a florist will have them eh? I looked up the scientific name but saw two that resembled the plant, thanks Yolie. They are sweet gardenglory, aren't they?

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow I really like that. I wanted to go yesterday to Leu on the free day, but had my mom and she can't do all that walking. I might have to bite the bullet and pay the entry fee. I love to walk around the gardens.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.amazonflowers.us/Mini-PineApple-Dwarf-_p_66.html

This is a link to the little pineapples I had seen in arrangements. I had never seen the pink ones, just the little regular ones.

Sunkissed, we visited about 90% of the garden, skipping the homestead and we spent about 2 1/2 hours. We only left early as we had arrived just prior to lunchtime, so we were all hungry. The $10 was worth it but I'd wait another month or so as I expect you'll see more in bloom. The southern magnolias were amazing and so too was the rose garden. Many of the camellias had passed but some were still blooming along side some gorgeous gardenias.

Thanks Gardenglory, I am unsure of those because I can't see the variegated leaves. The blooms on the fruit were quite special. Surely someone out there grows these beauties. Perhaps I need to do a search, come to think of it......

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

here you go Just Fruit and Exotics has them
http://justfruitsandexotics.com/Pineapple.htm

Orlando, FL

Hi there. I am pretty sure that I have this pink pineapple. I planted one in a friends yard some years ago. Last year she brought me two in pots. Never even planted them. You may have them. I have yet to find the perfect place for them. They have really jagged marginal teeth. The ones I have are not in top shape...as they are stiffled in plastic pots. Should shape up once planted in ground. If youre interested, shoot me a dmail. Melanie

Awesome plants you have their..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.