Moon Gardening Calendar May 2013

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Here we are reaching May and continuing with our Biodynamic system of Gardening by the Moon Calendar.

One of the element in Biodynamic, is the planting calendar, which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac.

May 1

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Broad Beans, Cucumber, Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Squash, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Lettuce....

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Plant onion sets and bulbs.

Happy and successful gardening!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Farmers Almanac

May 2013
1st Plant Late Beets, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, And Other Root Crops.

2nd-3rd Kill Plant Pests On These Barren Days.

4th-6th Favorable Time For Planting Late Root Crops. Also Good For Vine Crops That Can Be Planted Now. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

7th-8th Poor Planting, Fine For Cultivating Or Spraying.

9th-11th Favorable For Planting Beans, Corn, Cotton, Tomatoes, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops.

12th-13th Any Seed Planted Now Will Tend To Rot.

14th-15th Most Favorable For Planting Corn, Cotton, Okra, Beans, Peppers, Eggplant, And Other Aboveground Crops. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Garden.

16th-19th A Barren Period. Good For Killing Plant Pests, Cultivating, Or Taking A Short Vacation.

20th-21st Excellent Time For Planting Corn, Beans, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops. Favorable For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

20th-21st Excellent Time For Planting Corn, Beans, Peppers, And Other Aboveground Crops. Favorable For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

22nd-24th Excellent For Planting Aboveground Crops, Starting Seedbeds And Planting Leafy Vegetables.

25th-26th Do No Planting.

27th-28th Plant Late Beets, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, And Other Root Crops.

29th-31st Kill Plant Pests On These Barren Days.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 2 – 3

Root day
Sign Capricorn
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only, weeding, harvest and building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives,Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips,Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Shallots, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips. Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower …...

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will do well.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 4 - 5

Flower day
Sign Aquarius
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance, weeding, harvest and building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flower plants Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Shallots, Spring Onions ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for sharing your calender Cristina...

This message was edited May 6, 2013 8:46 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

David thanks!.
If you have any question, I'll be glad to help. I've been gardening with the moon for a long time and with biodynamic since '85, one gather a lot of experience through that time and is good to share it.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Cristina,

My Grandparents believed in gardening by the Moon and swore by the Farmers Almanac.

I was happy to be guided to your thread by another DG gardening friend.

I would love to see some pictures of your gardens in Chile! You can see some of mine currently on the Florida Gardening Forum. Do you have pictures of yours on any other forums?

Happy Gardening!

These pictures are from last year, but I thought you would like them...It was a good year. We are 9B also.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Your plants looks lovely. I do have some photos somewhere, I will put some.

About the weather zone it is difficult to tell, here we do not have snow, but the limiting factor is the higher temperature in the summer period: this year it has been the only year that we had in Temuco, temperatures over 28˚C that is approx. 83˚F and it was for a couple of weeks only.So the 9b zone is not really equivalent to the one you would have in Florida.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 6 - 7

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only, weeding, harvest and building a new compost heap..

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard. Do not sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, any type of Beans , any Pumpkin, Marrow or Squash, Peas, Peppers, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes. If you have any vegetable to harvest, it will keep well for long.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: Pisces is the best sign for planting soft fruit. Also Pisces promotes maximum water intake for plants.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 8 - 9 - 10

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, any type of Beans , any Pumpkin, Marrow or Squash, Peas, Peppers, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes, Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

By the way, I'm including some recent photos. I do live in a residential area of Temuco, although my block is a bit bigger than the normal size of Chile's city blocks, for me is too small (I dream with a farm...), I do mix vegetables with flowers, fruit trees, vines. I use large containers to extend my gardening area. The Zucchinis have produced well for me this year, large and firm, sweet and tender. I manage to have fresh vegetables for daily use. I will try to remember to get more photos so you can see how good results you can get by using Biodynamic...
In the photo where my dog can be seen,there are fruit trees, 3 apples, 1 peach, 1 quince, pumpkin plus others vegetables and hearbs.

Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina Thumbnail by cristina
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Great pictures, Cristina!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I've just added this Forum to my favorites Christina.

I love the information you are sharing and I think the pictures added a lot. I love your space and it's fun seeing what a Chilean gardening friends gardens look like! (They remind me much of mine)

I have grown huge Zucchinis like that to, and have found them to be very tender and edible. I have some gardening friends who believe they should only be eaten small and am not going to try to convince them otherwise........but we know!

David

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice shots, David. Especially enjoyed seeing your gorgeous Amaranths.

Wow Christina, that Zuke is nearly as big as you are. Your gardens look so lush. Thanks again for the new month.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I am glad you enjoy the shots, I have plenty more that I will be posting as we go learning together.

David I do use the small Zukes in Summer when they are so plentiful in the garden, but I do always select some to grow larger, I do love cooking them and I can cook them in so many other ways that are completely yummy and a meal on its own.
Also David I will be given some tips to use the Moon the best way for our planting.

FruitofthVine, the lush in my garden is dur to compost, today I pick up all of the pumpkin that I had growing in the roof, tonight we are expecting our 1st freeze and the cold winter in my doorstep.

Evelyn good to hear from you, Thanks.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

"Learning together"

That is the whole point for DG for me Cristina. You said it well.

I am looking very much forward to seeing you're gardens grow and develop.

Thank you for your kind words Fruit of the Vine. Virginia is a beautiful State.

This message was edited May 6, 2013 8:46 PM

With the click of a button, it's so easy to forget the huge difference between our Northern and your Southern Hemisphere growing seasons. It will be months before our harvest of various types of Winter squash are ready. Many of us here associate pumpkins with Halloween, October 31th, and pies at Thanksgiving in late November. Not in the food category per se unless ones eats taro root, but would you give advice for the best Biodynamic signs to plant Alocasia and Colocasia bulbs; also Caladium bulbs and Canna rhizomes. I'm assuming tuber days are best for Dahlias and may be the case for Alocasias and Colocasias, just would appreciate clarity in case my logic just recently following you is in error.

Thanks so much and stay warm!
Susan

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

We are warm Susan and then some! Ha!

I understand what you are saying and appreciate it. You can grow things in Virginia that our Summers would devastate. All of our growing climes have their unique abilities and beauties. The fact we all can grow is one thing we all share.

You will be growing Tomatos when ours are fried by July for instance Susan. (maybe I'm wrong?)

Although, I do love fried green tomatos! Ha!

Keep up the good growing!

David

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Susan all those are better planted on Root days. I will find my extended list of Roots plants so you can keep the info in your PC.

And for yo, in the Norhern Hemisphere who are starting the growing cycle remember to plan some allysum around your garden to attract lacewings, that love eating aphids, this pest suck the life out of your favorite plants and also infects fruit trees especially peaches at their early growth in Spring killing the production of the year..
And allysum fills the night air a lovely perfume as it flowers in the spring.

Also one of your good friend in the garden is marigolds, garden pest hate Marigold so plant them around your vegetable garden and make sure that those nastiest bugs will just stay away.

Thanks for reminding us about the marigolds. I forget to sow the seeds and then have to go get some from the nursery. I like them better from seed for some reason.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for sharing about the Allysum too. I have a lot planted now but had no knowledge of its usefullness.

Thank you, Cristina. I didn't know the tip about Alyssum but we do plant Marigolds with our Tomatoes.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I read somewhere that there's a specific marigold to plant with tomatoes, rather than just any ole marigolds. I hope I made note of it, and if I find it, I'll post it here.

I hope you find the name, Darius. I usually just get a flat of whatever orange or yellow mix the nursery carries. Deer the past couple of years have eaten more tomatoes than we have, and many other plants.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I didn't find it (yet) but had a memory flash: French marigolds!

Some gardeners recommend French marigolds as best deterrents. Till marigolds into the soil at season end to deter nematodes further

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi darius! Good to hear from you.

Yes many people back up that idea. I still feels that the main thing is to use marigold, any of them, whether they are African Marigolds and French Marigolds. I did test these many years ago and the only difference I did find out that I did have many pest on those plant that where in the area where I didn't plant any marigold .... By the way Marigolds and tagetes = the same plant.

http://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/growingflowers/flowersandseasons/marigolds

I also plant calendula all around as well.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 11 - 12

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, also Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes,Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips. Do not sow Flower plants Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes, Fruits harvested will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Well we know for sure Broccoli, Cabbage, and Cauliflower will not work here Synodicly now! (9B Florida)

I wish we could grow Artichokes. They just can't take our humidity and heat.

The Amaranth grains do great here!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

David try to get along with Biodynamic, is the better one, Only when I am "desperate'' I follow the Synodic one , which is the Moon gardening without influence of the planets.

Few years ago I used to belong to GardenWeb and I do remember that some members living in Florida did grow Artichokes
Then GW became very commercial and at that time Dave started DG (he was also a member of GW) and
he invited us ( few from Chile among them, me and Ursula), and we moved to DG's. Just a bit of history!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Susan, as promise , here there is "my" extended list of root plant, there are lots more root flowers /vegetables/plants but this are the ones I know.

Root Vegetables here are classified in two types:
True roots are taproots and tuberous root

Modified stems are corms, rhizomes, tubers, and bulbs.

Taproots
Arracacha (Arracacia xanthorriza)
Black cumin (Bunium persicum)
Black salsify (Scorzonera hispanica)
Beet (Beta vulgaris)
Burdock root (Genus Arctium)
Bush Carrots (Abelmoschus moschatus) Bush carrots
Bush potato (Ipomoea costata)
Carrot (Daucus carota)
Celeriac, Celery root (Apium graveolens)
Daikon (Raphanus sativus)
Jicama (Pachyrhizus erosus)
Maca (Lepidium meyenii)
Rutabaga (Brassica napobrassica)
Parsley root
Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius)
Skirret (Sium sisarum)
Parsnip (Pastinaca sativa)
Parsley root (Petroselinum crispum)
Pencil yam (Vigna lanceolata)
Radish (Raphanus sativus)
Turnip (Brassica rapa)
Wasabi (Wasabia japonica)
Yam Daisy (Microseris lanceolata)

Tuberous Roots
Cassava (Manihot esculenta)
Earthnut (pignut), Conopodium majus
Desert yam (Ipomoea costata)
Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus)
Mauka or chago (Mirabilis expansa)
Native ginger (Alpinia caerulea)
Prairie turnip or breadroot (Psoralea esculenta)
Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas)
Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius)
Yellow lily yam (Amorphophallus glabra)

Tubers
Arrowhead, (Sagittaria latifolia) tubers
Chinese artichoke (Stachys affinis)
Chinese potato (Plectranthus rotundifolius)
Oca or New Zealand yam(Oxalis tuberosa)
Potato (Solanum tuberosum)
Tigernut (Cyperus esculentus)
Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus)
Yams (Genus: Dioscorea)

Rhizomes
Arrowroot (Canna edulis)
Canna lily (Genus: Canna)
Fingerroot (Boesenbergia rotunda)
Galangal (Alpinia galanga)
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Ginseng (Genus: Panax)
Lotus root (Nelumbo nucifera)
Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa)
Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
Vanilla lily (Genus: Arthropodium)

Bulbs.
Bush onion (Cyperus bulbosus)
Camas (Camassia)
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
Garlic (Allium sativum) also shallot, leek, chive, and rakkyo
Lily (Genus: Lilium)
Quamash (Camassia quamash)
Onion (Allium cepa)
Polynesian arrowroot (Tacca leontopetaloides)
Trout lily (Erythronium americanum)

A few members of the family Orchidaceae that produce edible bulbs.
Caladenia
Cryptostylis
Cymbidium
Diuris
Dipodium
Geodorum
Glossodia
Lypernathus
Microtis
Prasophyllum
Pterostylis
Thelymitra

Corms
Banana (Genus:Musa)
Chinese water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis)
Enset (Ensete ventricosum)
Gladiolus (Gladiolus communis)
Konjac (Amorphophallus konjac)
Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)
Malanga, (Xanthosoma)
Pulaka (Cyrtosperma merkusii)
Taro (Colocasia esculenta)

Note:
these are Ornamental plants in the west, but are eatable and widely used in the East.
If you plant them for their ornamental leaves, it would be OK to plant them on a Leaf day.
Malanga, Xanthosoma species eatable, corm Colocasia (taro) Alocacia Caladium
Singapore taro (taro kongkong).
X. Roseum, X. daguense, X. daguense, X. poeppigii (Peruvian Amazonas); X. daguense (Western Cordillera of Los Andes, Colombia) ‘ape or elephant ear
People with food allergies sometimes find malanga is a great hypoallergenic flour alternative, because the proteins are less allergenic.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your extended root list. It is very much appreciated, Cristina, not only for me but for others who are interested as well.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes! Thank you Cristina.

Yes, Cristina...I was going to ask you about planting ornamental leafy (caladium) bulbs, so either on a root day or a leaf day?? And cannas, glads, iris, do they go in on a root day or a flower day???

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn you can choose, depending on what you want, I feel we grow Caladiun for their beautiful ornamental leaves so I would plant them on a Leaf day, in any case I will plant one (if I have enough I will plant a couple) on root day to produce more bulbs for the following season.
Their flowers are so small that I would not plant them on a Flower day.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I start compiling "my" Root list is when I return to Chile I I did find different types of root vegetables in the market, and I start investigating about them. I did find out that some were staple for the indean tribes living in in the Andes in Northern Chile and I continue on with the task, I was surprise that so many different root vegetables were eatable and tasteful.

Then I continue and I did encounter the Camas (Camassia) especies and their role in history, they were staple in USA for indeans tribes and that also they save the life of the pilgrims .... I am a bit of a prepper and if I was in the USA I would try to have some of the eatable ones in a large pot and collect their seeds, just in case of ..... It is just a thought!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 13 - 14 - 15

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals plants. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber and Grains .

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, ….

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, but Gemini is good for flower growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

FLOWER are associated with AIR signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius),Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Broccoli, Cauliflowers ( although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want, flowering bulbs and corms ....

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 16 - 17

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard. Do not sow Fruit plants Aubergines, Cucumber, any Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Squash,Sweetcorn,Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This is the Sign advantageous for germination

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

And I was just getting ready to start a new batch of seeds. I'm glad the Moon is backing me up!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Aren't you lucky, David! Happy gardening.

Know your Sign:

Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius ( flower). the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Water signs: Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio ( leaf) This are considered to be the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs.

Fire signs: Aries, Leo, Saggitarius (fruit)The Moon's influence is channeled into the fruit and seed of the plant.

Earth signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn (roots ), the energy of the Moon is focused into the roots of the plant. Planting now you will get strong, hardy well-anchored plants.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

May 18 - 19 - 20

Fruit day
Sign Leo
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, any type of Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Runner Beans,Squash, marrow, Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard,

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.