Recipes and meals spring- summer 2013 MidAtlantic & friends

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey, whatcha eating?

Came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300163/

Recipes and meal ideas, general food chat, guests and new faces always welcome!

My kid likes A-1 sauce so tonight I am trying this A 1 Pot Roast
http://www.food.com/recipe/a-1-pot-roast-chuck-steak-177369

Thumbnail by sallyg
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Chicken someway. Not decided yet.

That sounds good,Sally

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Any fav crock pot rib recipes?

Hope somebody can help, missingrosie.

I was actually smart the other night. To make chicken soup, I cooked the whole packet of three boneless chicken breast halves, then saved some of the chicken. I had chicken salad for us the next day and chicken to put in quesadillas for the kids the day after.
I need to do more of that planned leftover sort of thing.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yay for planned leftovers!

Per rib recipe. The only thing I do is layer cut onions on bottom, then put the (I use boneless ribs on sale) . The sauce varies each time cuz I don't measure. Brown sugar, ketchup, and vinegar to taste. Low for 8 hours.

Jan that sounds good. Like "boneless country style ribs"? My first try , I might look at a BBQ sauce recipe for a rough ratio sweet to ketchup to acid.

The A1 Pot roast was A OK! Served with rice.

Thanks. I may experiment.

I made a rump roast last week ( yea for leftovers - had three meals from 4.5 lb roast ) and did similar with onions as you said Jan, placed thick rings (3) under and over plus 3 strips bacon over top. Few carrots and whole yam cut up and placed around the meat. Started it with 1/2 can of golden mushroom and no peeking for 9 hrs. It was good! Just thickened with a bit of cornstarch.

Few weeks ago - pork butt. Rubbed with coarse salt and brown sugar and let sit overnight in fridge of course. Next day - in the crock. After 9 hrs give or take pulled it out sprinkled with more dark brown sugar ( it was falling apart by then ) placed on a tin foil lined pan and in 500 degree oven ( preheat to that temp ) for 10 min to caramelize. It was great! Served with chopped green onion tossed with wee fresh ginger and chopped tomatoes, lettuce,and a side of rice. Had no cilantro. Next day - wrapped the shredded pork with shredded lettuce and veggies in flour tortilla and sour cream. Love the crock pot! It was a cheaper meal as compared to the beef. Would have added some cheese to the tortilla roll up but out of that too! That is why I asked for recipe - thought I could have it in hand at grocery store - always missing something.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2013 11:22 PM

Good to hear those suggestions missingrosie. If I find those cuts on sale I'll know where to come for the recipe.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sounds good!

My niece slow cooks pork shoulder in crockpot with onions and covers with cola for 8 hrours or overnight. Then discards the cola and shreds the pork and mixes in her sauce of choice and keeps it in the crock pot on low for some more time.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I have chicken gizzards and hearts in my slow cooker today, will have with some brown rice and a cuke and tomato salad for dinner.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

One of the best sauces I had for ribs was so simple - equal parts apple butter and bottled honey bbq sauce, added a little bit of sweet onion to the mix. Got the recipe from one of those little recipe booklets that are always displayed at the cash register - sound a little weird, but was really delicious.

Yes, if it has a sugar that is burnt / cooked - it is a winner
Catbird- I can't even buy gizzards here. Browns Chicken as a kid ---- LOVED the crispy gizzards

Just d mail me when you are ready Sally - will share the recipe

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yum, I love chicken "parts" -- but I think I'm the only one in my house.

We were wondering about the A-1 pot roast, Sally, as it seemed like a LOT of A-1 sauce. I'll have to give that a try!

Well Yum O I just finished up the rest of the a1 pot roast.
I cooked 3 pounds of chuck steaks with that recipe and had ample sauce. Used some of the sauce on the rice. It's tangy but tasty. Note I am not usually going for a lot of tangy but this did not overpower.

aspenihill- thats the best use of apple butter I can think of.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How do y'all do your ribs? One friend of mine swears by slow-cooking in the oven (in foil, I think), then "finishing" on the grill... no sauce until the end of cooking, although I think she uses a dry rub before oven roasting.

pfft. I do ribs by going to the local awesome ribs restaurant. I don't attempt at home.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, Sally... I think that's why I'm intimidated by the idea of trying them at home! Jim likes the ribs at several restaurants around here, and I always think... we should do those at home! hmm, but what if they don't come out as well as those he's smacking his lips over?

Seems like when I look at the racks at the grocery, they are pretty pricey, or have very litle actual meat.
I would love to get ribs more often...
The country style boneless ribs or pork shoulder in the slow cooker are pretty yummy at home though.
with coleslaw, beans, and sweet potatoes

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Definitely Cole slaw as a side with ribs. Smetimes I do mashed taters.

I have heard of parboiling the ribs first before finishing on the grill. I don't do fix them here either. LOL. I do the boneless country ribs though when I can get a package on sale. I usually get three if I can, then have leftovers.

FIREBIRDS restaurant has the best Jim something sauce - I could drink it. Peppery, seedy, tangy all at once.

Crock Pot is best for no mess and ease of prep. But to get REALLY good ribs ( I purchase from Costco LOTS less expensive and fresh) you need to sloooooooooowvcook in oven on low heat for a very long time. Then you will get fall off the bone sticky sauce ribs.

KC brown sugar sauce (Costco and Walmart and most supermarkets carry) a can of beer - no fancy brands needed, a big foil pan, the ribs, and lots of time a and patience. The guys go nuts and the gals feel like Julia Childs. I add a salad and slow cooked baked beans with chopped red onions - good to go.

major yum. just have to get a Costco membership.

Would be worth it - there was a time I thought -- nah - I don't need bulk. Not with just 2 people and storage at a premium. But have made membership cost back 100 times over with paper goods and veggies. I also thought "Costco for meat and fish??. " YUK. ( I grew up with the corner butcher and seafood guys close by) But Costco is where I get very fresh Wild caught salmon at farmed salmon prices, and great fresh steaks and pork. The meats turn over very fast - very surprising. Prescriptions less exoensive even compared to Walmart pharmacy. Lots of deals. Just have to be disciplined not to buy impulse or what you don't need. Ice cream - skinny cow, healthy choice, Edys all much less expensive. I imagine BJs must be same.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 11:50 AM

We've done BJs and Costco, and even Sam's. THey are comparable. Just have to avoid the "greta deals" on junk food! The more of it in the house, the faster it goes.

Chili in slow cooker tonight.

Delicious chicken salad on fresh spinach for my work dinner. I've been in the kitchen a lot this morning!

Hey...I've got a roasted chicken - that salad sounds good.
I was going to slice and sauté with fresh sweet red.pepper, garlic and onions and make a sort of light carbonara sauce for pasta but the salad sounds better and less work.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, out your way is Adam's Ribs - best restaurant ribs I ever had. My parents used to live in Severna Park where we would get them often. Now that they live in Lucketts, we realize how much we took it for granted. My BIL has actually made the drive over there specifically to get take out for family get togethers.

yes, miss--its already roasted and seasoned, I would take the easy route! I added chopped apple to my chicken salad.

Is it Adams Ribs in Dawsons Corner? It's been so long I couldn't think of the name. Yes Adams is totally awesome.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think I've reached the Promised Land - a forum full of chicken gizzard aficionados. As I live and breathe...

I second the emotion about finding fine quality at low prices where others might not expect. Aldi's and Sam's have set us up with: whole duck; tilapia; salmon; the best lamb chops and rack of lamb (no mutton/sweater, no sir), pork tenderloin, and really stellar beef tenderloin.

Tonight, we are having steelhead trout and mixed greens salad with goat cheese and olive oil/sea salt dressing. Seems as though there's a crisp Riesling chilling with my name on it, too.

You are swerving into my lane again. One for my beer column...

I don't know how many gizzard fans we have here. Well, maybe we now have three! I give those to the dog!

I know we have several Aldi fans, myself included. I'm in there weekly- can hardly bear to spend an extra 30% on many basic items in the traditional grocery store. And you get those fun oddball things they offer at times.

I can tell you how good Avocado Soup is - at 10 cents apiece - when you can bring a bag of them home. Mmmmmm....

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, Adam's Ribs is a family owned restaurant - originally opened in Edgewater, now in additional Maryland locations including Severna Park and Annapolis.
http://www.adamsribs.com/about.cfm

Never heard of Avocado soup but will keep it in mind ! I love them. I haven't seen a bag deal but they're usually cheaper than the regular grocery.

Yup Teresa, that's the place! Soooooo gooooooooood. THe current Severna Park location used to be a country general store called Dawson's Corner, up into the early 80s when I started with the Health Dept.

And if I'm within fifty miles of a Sticky Fingers, I WILL go there.
http://www.stickyfingers.com/default.aspx

MIght as well be cooking- steady showers out there, here.
Sausage peppers and onions in slow cooker.

Oh, I never put in slow cooker. That is a thought. Just fix peppers, onions and sausage in roast pan with quartered potatoes and tomato sauce. Slow cooker sounds good - I wonder if potato will add too much water and make it soupy.

Mine are in crushed tomatos to go over pasta

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

In trying to be inventive and on diet (Holly's not mine) I made a fried rice that you may not find at China Gardens, LOL.
I steamed some brown rice, tossed maybe a pound of ham cubes and 2/3 cup of fresh pineapple in a large skillet with a little EVO. I seasoned with cracked pepper and Fenugreek, added the rice and increased the heat to high, added 2 eggs and finished browning. Served with fresh lightly steamed Asparagus on top. Holly loved it, and I must say I found it quite tasty.

I've tried doing ribs a number of ways, on the grill (tough), oven then grill (dry), and crock pot on low all day (you can twist and pull a rib right out and as good as your sauce). I usually don't buy pork ribs but get them when I buy entire loins @$1.49/#. I bring them home bone out the roast and get free ribs. I do my beef ribs the same way, buying them when on special. Country style bone in @$1.49/# and boneless @$1.79/#.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That fried rice sounds great! I've got ham cubes in the freezer from Easter.

Crockpot sounds like the way to go for ribs, maybe let Jim put them on the grill for 2 minutes just to satisfy the "ribs should meet flame" requirement LOL

Rice... I love brown rice, but Jim doesn't. However, the glycemic index of both Uncle Ben's / converted rice and basmati rice is very nearly the same as that of brown rice. So we just avoid "regular" white rice, have jasmine as an occasional treat, and just say no no no to instant rice. "Converted" rice has had the bran driven down into the grain rather than polished off, so its fiber content should be similar to brown rice.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think tonight I'm making a venison, mushroom, pearl barley stew, using thyme, celery, carrots, onion, and chardonnay.

Yes Jill, as long as it isn't instant it's not that bad, we just like the brown and use enough of it to keep it fresh. I was suprised to find brown does not store well.

This message was edited May 8, 2013 9:25 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll be there. What time does the dinner bell ring?

Nomnomnom in dover pa!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.