Your first clematis - show and tell

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bad euonymous! Bad, bad, bad!

I'm glad the existing stem is filling out. You could just clip off the end of it (the last inch or two) and two stems will sprout from that stem.

An old piece of slate, a large flat rock (like a river rock), or anything similar will help keep the roots cool. You could put some mulch under the slate/rock and that would protect the roots even more.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi clemmie friends!
Jackmanii was my first clem and good thing I picked a hardy one because I didn't know what I was doing. I was inspired by a neighbor who said she was going to plant clematis all along her wrought iron fence. I never thought they would grow in this climate. I wanted to have one as a connection to my friend in Montreal, where she had one growing trouble free. I found one locally about 8 years ago. All the online information/chat has made the collection out of control!

Thumbnail by bananna18

That's a beauty, Anna! Love the fencing as well.

I wonder at what point we feel "out of control". We all seem to experience the short of space issue and it's too difficult to imagine not buying more clematises due to lack of space.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Well stated!
I guess that is when we get choosier on performers and thugs. I have some that have hardly grown for years and just this year are growing out of bounds. I need to make notes to move things around in the fall.

You may want to take photos now and put them in a reminder file for fall jobs. I did that for spring jobs and it worked well to jog my brain.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I was in a nursery last week, they had a Raguchi clem, a bell shaped yellow one, I am sorry I did't buy it, but it lookedd out of the norm, I tought I got so used to the regular clematis. Maybe I will order a Princess Diana, it looks kind of like a bell, but it is pink. Any one of you have a yellow clematis??? Etelka

I had one, Tibetana, but in the aftermath of the storm, Irene, the tree guys crushed it and it's gone now. I don't recall any yellow one with the name you gave. Rooguchi is purple and bell shaped. I have Diana but she isn't as generous with blooms as Duchess of Albany has been for me but other people adore it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just checked on Google, it was Tangutica, I don't know where did I get the other name. Etelka

Thanks, Carolyn.

Jack once grew Tangutica from seed. My guess is that it performs as an annual since we never saw it again the following year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.