Your first clematis - show and tell

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Carolyn mentioned, on another thread ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309583/ ), how her first clematis led to being hooked on them. So I thought we might like to post about our own first clematis that led us down the beautiful road to clematis loving.

We had owned our home for a year but lived 90 miles west of here for the first year to make it easy for Jack to go to work so May of '92 we were finally here permanently planted on the North Fork of Long Island and with more property than either of us had ever owned and eager to create our gardens.

The first catalog to arrive was from Wayside Gardens and featured a collection of clematises. We decided to try it. A neighbor, who was a doctor here in town with her husband, also a doctor, told us we had wasted our money because - "Clematises don't grow here". She said they bought one and it died. I asked where she bought it and she told us Michigan Bulb Co. Jack and I did not cancel our order with Wayside! She was amazed when we got blooms.

The first photo shows one part of the house in a before photo and how we've changed it over the years. There are now 9 clematises on the trellis. Omoshiro is part of the collage though we didn't get that one until 2007.

The second is of Nelly Moser growing on the stump from the pine (in the first shot) that we had removed right away. Nelly was part of the collection.

Jackmanii always seemed to be featured in Wayside's catalogs collections so as we bought more collections we became saturated with many Jackmanii. Photo #3 shows the very first one in the very first area I cleared for a few plants. You can spot the outlet pipe for the original generator at the front. Jack was sure he'd hit it with his first riding mower so that was the reason for that area being changed.

Another of the originals was Henryi and that certainly made a big hit with us...and the neighbors. It bloomed that December as well!

As more gardens were developed we added more clematises and have never looked back.

Thanks to Annette, I've ordered Maylene to adorn the shed.

Thanks, Carolyn, for a great idea that inspired this thread.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Arlene

I am curious - what did that neighbor say when she saw your clematis flowering?

She said: You not only have a green thumb but you've got manure in it, too!

She moved to be near her daughter in Columbus, Ohio, after becoming a widow but we used to write letters (how old fashioned is that?) and I sent her photos of Henryi in bloom in December with snow on the plant. She was amazed. (Yes, I did keep her letters!)

Athens, PA

It is old fashioned, Arlene, but there is something very nice in writing letters. I recently received a note from a very old and dear friend in response to a sympathy card. I have decided that I will get a note back to her soon.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I first saw a clematis growing on my mothers mailbox in Atlanta, Georgia.

I bought my lst clematis called Dr. Ruppel from White Flower Gardens
online about 10 years ago.

Last year I just decided I had to have a LOT of clematis and 5 foot trellis for each one
and I ordered from Joy Creek Nursery in Portland Oregon
Julia Correvon, Prince Charles, Madeline, Madam Baron Viellard, Contessa de Bouchard
All of these are wonderful and grow well for me in morning and mid day sun
in zone 8.

It is a delight to look out my large window as I use my laptop to tell you this and see
Julia Correvon in bloom and all the others that have buds on them today.

I have always loved vines since a child, swung on them in the woods, enjoyed wistera at my great grandmothers in south carolina and just any vine..perhaps some of that came from watching
Tarzan movies as a little girl..LOL

Anyway I love clematis vines!!!

Sheri/sheridragonflys

Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys

Such a pretty view, Sheri. All it takes is one great clematis to get the fever and Dr. Ruppel is a star performer here.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Neiobi is not my first, but it is her first flower. It is almost like "is it safe to come out and play" she is peeking trough the bottom of the fence, it is a beutiful color. I have not seen you for a while, Arlene, I tought you are eating Lobster rolls, ??? Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

I've been on the clematis threads, Etelka, so you can look for me there. Not on many other forums anymore.

Maybe it's Niobe's genetic disposition that makes her bloom as she does. Many of my Niobe bloom close to the earth. I do love the rich color of the blossoms. Eventually she does gain height but she does start at ground level.

We are waiting to enjoy lobster rolls in Maine this year.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I did not get to cut my Jacknami back this year and now all the growth is at the top. Can I still cut it back to get more lush at the bottom also?

I'd take the chance and do it now. Otherwise it will fall over on itself and you might not like that look.

It will probably only be a week or two later with blooms so go for it and let us know how it responded. My guess is that you'll get MUCH more growth.

Thanks Arlene, How far down should I cut it. It is about 5 feet tall now and hanging over bad.

Cut it by half. It should give you many hundreds of blooms. It's still early May and it has all summer to bloom.

Mine, by the compost, is too tall already so I'll take photos but cut mine back by half today as well. We can compare the progress. I had cut it back hard but that one does love to grow in that spot. One stem was leaning out and trying to attach itself to Guernsey Cream so I went to push it back and must have pushed too hard. Anyhow it was a self-layering shoot (tiny roots on it) so now it sits in a cup of water until I can find a spot that needs purple.

I got to say, when you said that Carolyn got hooked on Clematis, well so did I. I started out with one by the mailbox and it has grown to at least 40 Clems now in my flower beds. I keep trying new ones and getting more trellis or creating my own. This spring being a lot dryer has made my clems grow much better. Josephine is growing like a weed, well after I cut down that nasty climbing rose that it was attached to, now it can get more sun.

Marie - it's so easy to get hooked on clem's. So many people regard them as too demanding but don't even give them a try. I do smile when neighbor's say they "can't" grow a clematis. I think they just don't want to take a chance and be viewed as a failure in their own eyes.

Isn't it such fun when they grow like weeds? I love it!

I did cut back Jackmanii (at the compost) yesterday but haven't downloaded photos yet.

Athens, PA

I love them so - I wish I had room for more!

How true, Carolyn.

Marie - here's the compost Jackmanii before and after.

The additional growth at the far left is another clematis - no idea of the name but just might be Ernest Markham. I didn't realize it was in with Jackmanii until last year and tried to avoid cutting it down in February but I'm still hoping for blooms. The stems get too entangled and it's hard to distinguish one from the other when it's time to prune.

Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have 2 Venosa Violaceas and a Ice Blue in the middle, they are ready to bloom. That will be my first small flowered Clematis, they are full of buds. Have 2 more bloomes on Niobe, and Ruutel will soon reach Daniel deronda. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

When Ruutel and Daniel meet it should be absolutely fantastic!

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Here was my Niobe yesterday evening.

Thumbnail by Mike2147 Thumbnail by Mike2147
Athens, PA

I love the rich color of Niobe. I didn't do very well with Niobe, but then it was a little liner pot and it was before I had learned how to handle them. I would try again, but I am still looking for a place to put Tracy Lee and another Betty Corning.

Very nice, Mike. Welcome to our happy clematis forum! Do you have other clematises?

Carolyn - Niobe isn't the easiest to raise. It's just not as robust for me as so many others though the color is fabulous. You can try adding manure and compost with mulch on top. No matter how much help I give mine it just isn't the performer that others are.

Is it possible to root what you cut off?

I haven't even tried, Marie, but I doubt it.

Athens, PA

I saw a gorgeous Niobe several years ago when I went to a RU down by the Poconos' at Roses_R_Reds. She has the most beautiful gardens and her Niobe was such a gorgeous wine red color.

Today I gave it some chicken manure. It's bigger than it ever was but still not as lush as I want it to be.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

pirl,

Currently I only have the Niobe. I so want to try and raise some 'Sweet Autumn' from seed this year but, I've yet to start them. This one has been easy for me as I spent a good amount of time prepping the hole when I planted it 4 years ago. I always get two "springs" here in NC where I live. I have it in a location that gets morning sun through mid day and is protected from the wind's main directon. Any tips on clemitis from seed???

Mike

Mike - my attempts at raising them from seed were all failures. One clematis person, timeinabottle, had success but I haven't seen him posting lately.

You may want to read the negative reviews regarding the invasive qualities of Sweet Autumn here:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/683/#b

I don't like to discourage anyone but so many have had such major problems with it that I'd be wrong not to warn you.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the warning pirl. I checked the state site and it isn't listed there but I did see a few reviews from NC folks so maybe I'll leave this one off the list. Do you know of any other fragrant varieties? My wife as an addiction to smell good flowers.

Though I don't yet own it, Mayleen is supposed to be very fragrant. Here's a photo of it on a friend's shed.

There may be others but my nose isn't good with sniffing out scent unless it knocks me over, as with lilies I love (Casablance, Anastasia, Stargazer, Rio Negro) or roses.

I hope all clematis lover will post their fragrant clem's here to help Mike.

Thumbnail by pirl
Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks pirl! That is one prolific clematis.

Mike , I am still ripping out that Clem, that I don't know if someone planted or it is a native to here. But it has and will reseed all over your yard. Yes it smells good, but it has taken over the trees in the woods next to my yard. I have been tearing it out now going on 10 years. I still dont have it all. Beware.

Marie - You're talking about Sweet Autumn, right?

Yes I am . I hate it.

I figured as much when I read your review on Plant Files.

Have you tried Ortho's Poison Ivy & Tough Brush killer? It has halted all of our evil Houttuynia when no other killer would do it.

I tried some stuff last year, but they are so big and you cant tell where the roots starts. Plus it is in the woods. Hubby went out last evening and starting chopping it from the base and we pulled it out from the canape of the trees.It was mixed in with a grape vine. One more area to do and that flower bed will get more sun now.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My first clematis was also Jackmanii and it was a beauty every single year it performed like clockwork until last year when I think it may have been crowded by another plant. It is back up this year but it is TINY - two little bitty stems although that is two more than last year. I wonder if it will come back or if I should replace it? Anyway here is a picture of it in the glory days - boy that really makes me miss him.

Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy

How beautiful! Lovely deck and setting as well.

By any chance, was any spray killer used in the area? I can't imagine the loss of something so beautiful. Keep checking for new sprouts in the hope it will recover.

Pirl I don't think it got any spray I don't use much but who knows

it is sprouting but just two stems - this year one of them is almost to the top of the trellis but it is still a very sad looking vine. I think the plant in front of it just took over the root system because it seriously looks like a start to a clematis instead of a real one. I've thought about cutting it back (all 2 stems) but I'm worried that might really do it in.

It really was beautiful and especially since it is only sitting maybe 10 ft from a black walnut tree. By the end of the summer it would grow up over the deck railing and onto the deck furniture in back of it. I guess Jackmanii doesn't mind black walnuts:)

Well, it wasn't in the soil by the black walnut, just growing into it so I doubt that could be a problem.

What is the plant you have in front of the Jackmanii and just how close are they? I know many people plant perennials or shrubs in front of a clematis to keep the roots cool but I just don't take those chances since there can easily be too much competition for nutrients.

It was a Euonymus which up until lat year had co-existed nicely but once the jackmanii didn't come up I tore out the euonymus and realized that it had obviously overtaken the clematis' root system. It is gone now and I actually had that planted in front of another of my clems but I removed it as well. I did notice today though that one of the stems of the Jackmanii has reached the top of the trellis and it has filled out somewhat so maybe it is going to recover and live to bloom again:) It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.