Red Kangaroo Paw Plant

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Just bought one. Can anyone provide any info. on growing this plant. Found one in plant files and says full sun. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience in zone 9 or 9B with this plant.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie,

Have never grown them myself, but found this info online:
Light: Sun
Zones: 10-11
Plant Type: Perennial
Plant Height: 2-10 feet tall
Plant Width: 1-3 feet wide
Special Features: Flowers,Cut Flowers,Dried Flowers,Drought Tolerant,Easy to Grow

Choose a sunny site with lean, well-draining soil for kangaroo paws. A shovelful of compost added to the planting site is all the plants require for fertilizer.

http://www.homedesigndirectory.com.au/gardening/growing-kangaroo-paws.shtml#.UXrMeJYszm4

Hope that helps :-)

Shauna

P.S. That is a great looking flower

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

OH I'm in wrong zone. I bought it at Lowes and they sell them there every year. I have it potted and I drilled bigger holes in the pot. Was easy cause it is pastic. I roughed it up and then fleck coated it. Figured it would have to come in during the winter and thats why I potted it. Oh well can't do anymore than die but I will try to at least see it bloom as it is full with buds right now. If it blooms I'll get some pics. I always go the weird plants when available. What can I say I like different.
Thanks Shauna.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, I am like you...I like the different plants. I don't want a yard full of what everyone else has!

Shauna

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I have purchased several of these over the years. They have all died and not come back. It's just too humid here to grow them.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I've had the same experience Kay. I'm glad it wasn't just me and didn't want to be a downer in case it was just my fault...

David

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone. I checked it yesterday and the buds are not blooming out. Bummer.

Bonnie

Sorrento, FL(Zone 9a)

I had the same experience with Kangaroo paw. My experience is that many of the plants from Australia don't do well here. I'm not sure if it is soil borne pathogens or just humidity.

The really odd thing is - a friend of mine, across town, has had two, growing in pots for three years. They die back and each spring, they come up. I have no idea why her KP's grow for her. She also grows Peonys in pots, that bloom every year - they don't come back in my yard. I don't know if, because she lives across the street from the ocean has anything to do with it, but....

Sorrento, FL(Zone 9a)

KayJones
Maybe that is the secret to growing kangaroo paws. Keep them in pots. I only grow Dahlias in pots due to the nematode population in our native Florida soils. Nematodes will bring Dahlias down in one season.

Mine WERE in pots.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've had a few. The only one that lived thru the summer & came back the following year was planted in mostly shade. It's under one of those big split leaf plants.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine still is't blooming fully and really looks like its going to croak.
I need one of those signs that says "I tried but it died".
Mine is potted and in shade and I'll leave it alone a bit longer and see what happens.
Glad I'm not alone in this endeavor.

Bonnie

Orlando, FL

Bonnie, you always make me laugh! No you are not alone. I planted mine in a raised bed in full sun. It was doing okay until we started getting all this rain.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

A local nursery here in Tampa has been advertising those plants.

http://www.kerbysnursery.com/index.htm

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

LAST POSTING FOR A WEEK. LEAVING FOR CAL. AT 5:30AM IN THE MORNING. AM PRAYING FOR GOOD FLIGHT

HAPPY GARDENING TO ALL

BONNIE

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine has been blooming for months. It never gets any bigger, but I figure, if it is blooming, it must be happy!!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Bonnie,

I received an email from a local nursery here in Brandon and they were advertising Kangaroo Paw Plants and it looked like they had them in red and yellow. Looking at that, made me think of you and I was wondering how yours were doing?

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Shauna,
Mine died last July. Don 't think I'll try them again.

Went down to 38 here last night and I didn't know it was going to. Hawaii vine is outside uncovered, geez I hope it didn't croak too. It's full of blooms and buds.

Oh well pretty soon we will be sweating again. I'm pumping my pool out right now and hoping to get it pressure washed, primed and painted before summer hits. Comes in handy after working outside in the heat. Plus good exercise for my old tired body.

I'm surprised, brugs are blooming again. Blue sky vine also has blooms. Got to move that big thing away from house and it climbs up onto roof every year. I prune it right back to the ground but it comes back.

Does anyone know how severe you should prune a golden cestrum?? Mine is way over house roof and looks very leggy.

Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was at my local Home Depot last night and they had them in both red and pink. I remembered some of you posting that you had success with them, so I thought what the heck...I'll get one and see if I can keep it alive.

Thumbnail by shauna1219

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.