2013 hummingbird sitings in midwest/west?

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i didnt see one for this yr.so ..thought id see whos had our
delightful visitors show up yet???
im in provo utah.. and ive seen none ..yet..
i did make some nectar yesterday..and put feeders up.. just incase
an early "bird" (forgive that..:) ) shows up really early.. and is hungry
from its/there long flight..
so.. anyone?? in the midwest,west hope you post when they start
showing up..

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

well our good buddies have showed up in utah valley ..as of this morning
yea..
was having morning coffee..and what do i see out the front window..
perched on one of my 2 feeders.. a hummingbird..
i didnt want to scare it off so..i didnt do close exam to see what it is..
but its good to know some are showing up..
i have big pine trees to west of property..in past many have made their nests
there.. im sure same this yr..
?? anyone else seeing our friends show up ???

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

:( sigh..no one else seeing any hummers in midwest/west??
more are showing up here..
both feeders are getting hit by our colourful friends..:)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Those first sightings are so nice. I get very excited, watching and waiting for them. In my neck of the woods, it is only ruby throats, although they are certainly beautiful and wildly fascinating to watch. Do you get any other varieties? Also, do you have any plants they like, or feeders only? I swear by salvia black and blue and cardinal climber vine. Every morning they hit those plants and keep at it all day. They also dart alog in my zinnias all summer, getting insects. Hummer and butterfly gardening is the best hobby I ever cultivated!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like they make you their first stop of the area. my rocker sits on the front porch and the hummers hit it while it is still gray outside-before the flowers open, talk gentle to em, and they get used to you

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

more are showing up now..i think that one was the scout..
"all's clear"... :)
i do have a huge honeysuckle vine in the backyard..and they love it
too.. i have some salvia,and columbine..which they take in..
but i think the bulk of there feeding is off the 2 feeders i have
out.. they fight over them..so im thinking of getting a 3rd and hang in shade in
backyard too..
i dont think we get the ruby throated ones here. rufous, calliope, costa's
and broadtail.. seems the rufous dont stay in my area to much..dont know
if they are more territorial and dont like to share space with other hummers..
or what..
when they are here..seems like mid summer.. they dive bomb each other..
i'll be back in the vegy garden..its 140' long..seems like they are bombing for
me..lol..but they are chasing each other..
great fun..

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

territorial, saw something on Youtube about teaching them manners...Rufous call different areas home but they pass thru on their way...

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Lucky you, to see several types. I had a big feeder bully last year, and the mid air arguments were great to watch.(and the courtship displays of aerial acrobatics are amazing!) However, I wanted to give everyone a chance....so I read that putting several feeders close to each other will overwhelm the bully and he will give up. It seemed to work, so I have 3 in sight of each other, and one in back. I wish I had as many early in the season as I get in mid summer. I have been dive bombed a few times in my own veg garden too! My hummer feeders all have more than one port, and I see pics of several at a feeder at once, in my yard, in 3 years I have only seen 2 at the feeder one time. Do you get several at the feeder at once?

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

my feeders have 4 feed holes each.. end of season..sept its not
uncommon to see 4 hummers at one feeder..most ive seen so far is
3..and thats early evening..maybe they calm down then...? :) LOL
thats an interesting point scarlet.. maybe i'll put another feeder closer to
one i have in front ..maybe the bullies out there will share.. :)
there are alot of big honeysuckle vines in my neighbourhood..and i have one
..not huge though.. so im sure the hummers are visiting there too..
we hummer lovers just want our good buddies to make it thru the summer
since we enjoy there visiting us... :)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

at our last years fall roundup abt 20 m from me, they took turns, but rouxcrew had out at least 5 feeders around her porch and was goin thru gallons of nectar, I have 2 faithful rubythroats Idont have any stills of

Thumbnail by kittriana
Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

wow kittriana..that is very cool.
i have a friend that use to live in a wooded area,near a river..and
her feeders would get hit like that..i thought she was just givin me
the business..LOL wow..
thats alot of hummers..

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Kittriana....I would just fall over if that many came at once to my feeders!!
Really, just fall over!
I would guess at the high point I have about a dozen regulars in the trees and around the yard, but they just don't seem to feed together. maybe this year it will be different. As long as they keep coming to my yard I will be happy.
Anyone ever try nicotiana for hummers, or 4 o clocks? I am expanding my red hot pokers for the hums. I know they like it. I also put in extra black and blue salvia and some agastache this year. I like to see them at morning glories, and found a red variety 'scarlet o hara'. I planted that along with cardinal climber to grow up the porch. Can't wait to see the results. Before I started planting for the hums and buterflies, I was never crazy for red flowers. I still go for blues and purples, but red is nice too. a splash of orangeand/or yellow makes it all stand out. Ha ha I guess I like all the colors!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

With the consta.t green we have, anything brilliant is awesome. They all look better with the other colors too cuz it makes everything 'pop'

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I usually get migrants passing through the last week of April. It was cold and I was busy with work and didn't get the feeder out. The first week of May my daughter told me we had a hummer hanging around. So I put out one feeder. Within minutes I had a bird - I think it said "Finally!! Where have you been?!?" I think it was the same Male Blackchinned that has been making my yard his base of operations for several years now. Broad-tailed are the most common around here, but I always have a black-chinned.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

I wish my hums would come back again. I have not seen one for days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.