Deer problem

Homer, GA

You literally amaze me, you constantly bemoan the fact that deer are ravaging your trees and plants
and yet when offered a simple working solution ,you refuse to use it.Deer are wild animals that
have been allowed to infiltrate our urban areas same as the coywolf in the northeast U.S. cities.I
love wild animals and travel yearly to the northwest to observe them,but, i do not want them in my back yard.
To all animal lovers ,my solution does not endanger wildlife in any way ,it only discourages them.
Good luck and good gardening.

Ithaca, NY

Deer have severely damaged my garden, but I have never seen anything like this. When we returned from vacation, my climbing rose was cut almost to the ground, and several adjacent clematis vines were destroyed. The damage to the vines was typical to deer, with ragged edges, but only one branch of the rose looked irregular; the others were virtually clean cut. Can deer do this?

Thumbnail by leslie5
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Deer damage is usually ragged, but can be clean cut.
They normally go for new, tender, green stems and leaves, not the woody parts of plants. At this time of year, though, even the woody parts probably taste pretty good with the new sap rising in them.

Deer damage can be at all levels. They have nipped 3" high flowers in some of my client's gardens, and some deer are willing to stand up higher on the back legs, perhaps propped up on a branch with a front leg, so can reach over 6' high.
We have mule deer around here, and they also will eat pretty much anything.

One of my clients had a deer problem. He hot wired his hillside and could see the tracks each morning where the deer had encountered the fence, tested it, then left. It is not ugly. In fact it is so hard to see he put flags on it so people would not run into it.

Other of my suggestions in several posts in this thread are based on the results of other clients in the S. F. Bay Area.

Recap, what has worked for some:
The motion activated sprinkler
Irish Spring soap
Human hair
Liquid Fence
Predator urine (no one has admitted to me using human urine)
electric fence
Tall fence with an outrigger.
Planting stuff the deer do not eat. Start with the lists, then replace whatever they eat with something that has not been eaten.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Ok, Diana, I will admit to using human urine. And in our area, there isn't anything deer won't eat. Cast iron plant, loquat tree, salvia, gladiola, lantana, canna, etc. I am trying a motion activated sprinkler this year, and I would love to put up an electric fence, but my husband would have a cow. But, that just might but my next move, at least temporary. I hate deer!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Good luck to you. I can't understand why your husband is so against the elect. fence. It works so well for us. And truly, blends into the background. We use green fiberglass posts that you can get at a farm store, and husband says they are made to hold an electric fence. He puts a spring called an electric fence handle on the end-- sort of like a gate-- so we can take it down and put it back up.

If you're interested, I will take a picture when I can, but it has been raining heavily for a day and a half-not constantly-but lots of rain.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have found, from Havahart, a single battery powered post with a deer lure and shocks them. I am going to try that, and I put out a motion activated sprinkler, which I have heard from a few people that it really works. I will keep you posted...

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Good Luck with the deer problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.