Deer problem

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Ok, I know this is gross, but...I am at my wits end. I live in an area with no hunting, and the deer population has gotten way out of hand. They are eating everything, including things they shouldn't eat at all, like loquat tree and cast iron plant. I have tried a number of commercially available sprays, to no avail. Someone suggested using human urine to keep them at bay. Has anyone ever actually tried this? Do you sprinkle it on the ground? I thought about diluting it with water and using a pump sprayer to spread it around. It can't smell any worse than some of this other stuff I have tried. Would it hurt or burn my plants? Just wondering....thanks!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

What were the commercial sprays you used? I doubt that human urine would affect a hungry deer at all. Why would it, with no hunting they have learned not to be afraid of humans.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Whatever you use, keep rotating the products. The deer get used to something, and it is no longer a deterrent.

Urine is a strong, salty fertilizer. It can burn the plants. Spray it on the soil, rocks, wood, and other non-living parts of the garden, especially in the path the deer use.

You can get urine of many predators (bob cat...). This may work. Keep moving it to different areas, and keep it fresh so the deer think this has become the predator's favorite hang out.

Human hair (ask a barber or hair dresser). Tie it into a bundle, perhaps in some mesh or cheese cloth, and hang it from the branches. Put out new hair often.

Irish Spring Soap. Tie it onto the branches at "deer-nose-level". Carve off a slice weekly to expose a fresh surface.

All other products: Keep rotating!

Around here there is a commercial product called Liquid Fence that seems to work pretty well.

Other option:
6' fence with an outrigger...
...surrounding a rock garden (all rocks, driftwood, statues. but no plants)...
...and a big dog that lives in the garden.

I have tried Deer Away, Deer Out, Not Tonight Deer, Plantskydd, human hair, dog hair, fox urine, Hinder, and I actually have 4 dogs, that spend time with me in the yard a good bit. I have a 4 foot fence in the back yard, but nothing around the front yard, and don't really have that option for the front. I am used to a lush green yard and a wide variety of plants, and my husband just keeps telling me to give up, but I can't make myself throw in the towel yet. I did put an 8 foot fence around my veggie garden to keep out deer and all the other wildlife around here (rabbits, moles, squirrels, armadillo, raccoons, etc.) The Plantskydd worked pretty well, but it is expensive, hard to mix, and smells like dead body. It is made from blood (pig, I think) and makes everything look like there was a massacre. I just had to throw the pump sprayer I used away, the smell was so bad. Someone said rotten egg and habanero peppers, and I haven't tried that yet, but that might mp be my next option. Any other thoughts? I welcome all suggestions. Thanks!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Try bird (fowl) netting. If they can't get what they want, eventually they won't come back. If you can find it, try Deer Off. It makes everything taste terrible.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I am thinking that the deer in your area are far too many and too hungry for anything but a good tall fence to fend them off. The sprays seem to work fine in areas like mine, where the deer just pass though nibbling here and there. Your deer seem to be having to use your plants for survival. I was able to block off their main trail to my garden and even though that had access in other ways that really seemed to help. Do they seem to have favorite paths or can they approach from everywhere?

They come from the marsh (in back of us) and the empty area across the street. And there is plenty of wild underbrush to keep them from starving, but I am sure my roses, cannas, daylilies etc are much more tasty than wax myrtles and wild youpons. And, like I said, they are eating things that are on the "deer don't eat these" list. Loquat tree, butterfly bush, cast iron plant. They do not seem to have a regular path through here. But every few weeks, I will go out, and it looks like a whole herd came through to the "buffet". I have been trying to spray something every week, but we have been having a lot of rain, and all the new growth is just too tempting to them, and I can't seem to spray fast enough.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I had Deer coming to my apple trees every dusk. No longer. From Amazon I got a device called The Electronic ScareCrow. Has a 9v bty in it, a motion detector. You hook it up ot your garden hose. Anything comes within 50 feet of it and it sprays them. Actully the noise alone scares off Deer, Racoons, Cats. After 2 weeks I could turn the water off, they would not come near it. I also used it in the backyard to keep critters away from my bird feeders. Aimed it low at the feeders. Took my cats just one day to memorize the pattern and then walk aorund it. Works day or night. One day I forgot to turn it off and got the FedEx guy. But it was 90 out, he didn't complain. Gene

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Gene, you're my kind of gardener!

Any plant that they have left alone, plant more of that.

Plants with a strong taste develop that taste when the leaves mature. Fast growing new leaves will not taste too bad because they have not developed the oils or whatever it is that the deer do not like.
In keeping with this concept, use slow release fertilizers, and deep soak with dry periods in between. This will make the plants grow slower, and perhaps the new growth will not be so rampant, and the plant can make enough oils etc to protect the new growth.

While cages, netting or fences around individual plants may help, just the fact that these desirable plants are in the garden may attract the deer. I would omit anything that the deer have shown any sort of preference for. Look around at what works for your neighbors. If it is growing in their garden, it will probably grow in yours.
Ivy (Hedera), Juniper, and trees too tall for the deer to reach are almost the standard landscape around some nearby areas. The deer do not read those lists, and even the plants you would be sure they would not touch will get eaten.
Several years ago we had a couple of years in a row with drought. About the only thing left for the deer to eat was Oleander. So they ate it. And threw up. (Now... is that worse than the dead body/pig blood/crime scene?)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My last ideas would be helpful if your community agrees: birth control for the deer. I think your population may be out of control.

The population is out of control, and apparently we have a bunch of people who think killing them is terrible, and don't understand the ramifications of letting the population over run the area. We are also over run with ticks, deer flies, and mosquitoes. There is almost nothing in my yard they haven't eaten. Loquat tree, cast iron plant, lantana, caladiums, gladiola, etc. And the neighbors have the same problem.

I don't want a yard full of one or two plants just over and over. I want to have a yard I love, and I'm very frustrated at the deer issue. My husband says "just give up" but I'm not willing to do that yet. There has to be something that will minimize their damage. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep trying!

Snellville, GA

Have you ever tried scent capsules? They last longer than liquid fences and usually contain predator urine like coyote. Even when using these I would do what Diana_K said in the third post and rotate the product.

Cheers!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I just check the product we've been using, it is called "super repellent."
Nontoxic. Just tastes terrible.
http://www.weiku.com/products/14521621/Super_Repellent_Ready_To_Use_Pump_Sprayer_48_oz_.html

I found something called Bobbex, and I ordered that to rotate, but the super repellant sounds good too.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The super repellent has a kind of clove smell, not objectionable. But anytime you want to spray these things, wear a mask. I usually pull my shirt over my mouth because I'm pretty lazy.

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

A friend of mine uses caster plants.

Mad

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy - I have tried it all except the water squirter option. My neighbor has that and now the deer come for dinner at her place and then a quick shower. If we'd provide the tobacco and matches, --- they'd probably stop for a cigarette afterward. What you might do is put up a low volt fence or just string some wire between uprights every 10 or so feet. It doesn't have to be fancy. Uprights and a few rows of wire. You can do something nicer and fancier at the entrance with a gate wide enough for a car if need be. It is obvious that you really have tried it all and it is so important to you to have the garden space you want. -- when you add up the time, the cost, the continued vigilence needed with inevitable failures and the loss and cost of plantings -- biting the $$ bullet and erecting a barrier one time will be all you need. Even if you don't or can't enclose the entire yard maybe you can make a courtyard to landscape as you want or just enclose a smaller space within the larger area. i have resorted to yard art - metal sculpture, bottle trees, an arbor, a beautiful garden bench, flagstone paths -- all to bring the color and form I can't get. Luckily, there are shrubs and trees that have been left alone.

Homer, GA

Happytail,

what i would suggest is this, you may or may not agree.
install a single wire electric fence similar to what we use for livestock ,this will not harm them but usually after experiencing it will stay away this is not unpleasant in appearance with the new plastic posts.battery operated,
deer usually come at night so can be turned off during the day if you worry about children.i would set up on your property perimeter.usuall cost about $40.00 .this will not injure a child .

georgiacat

If my husband would let me, I'd have a triple wire fence around the whole thing. But, he is too worried about aesthetics, and will not let me do a fence. We have a fence around the back yard, to contain the dogs, and the deer haven't come inside that fence. But, I have been spraying urine around the perimeter of the flower beds, and so far it has worked well. I am just spraying the mulch, and not on the plants, but it does seem to be working. I do still spray deer spray (Bobbex and Deer Off seem to work best).

Homer, GA

you live in a beautiful part of Ga. and i can appreciate your husbands concern.placed strategically this is not unsightly,also can be removed very quickly once the problem is under control.my corn patch is surrounded with
this type of fence and Bambi and his buddies learned very quickly not to go near the corn. Now all i have to do is educate the rabbits.
good luck with your sprays'

georgiacat

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

georgiacat,
Have you any pictures of your one strand fence. I'll bet you can barely see it, I think that has to be the best way to keep out deer!

Homer, GA

sorry i have no pictures at this time.however if you to the web and pull up TRACTOR SUPPLY or Home depot ,you can see what you need.there is likely a farm supply store
near and they should also carry the fencing.I recommend using the aluminum wire and the green plastic posts and wire fasteners. you will also require a charger,usually battery powered,or solar power. depending on your area the 2mile charger will be sufficient.I hope you find this informatiom helpful.

georgiacat

Saint Maries, ID

I just posted a new thread about a deer deterrant that really does work, and works consistently. Go up and read all about it. I think you'll find it very helpful.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I thought for certain her thread was an advertisement, but it wasn't.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1316640/

I have used bird / fowl netting, and it is excellent, just a whole lot of work. The netting I use may be finer, but it does keep the deer out. However, sometimes they ruin my vegetables by trying to bit through the netting.

Valparaiso, IN

My advice is to forget about all these sprays and mechanisms. Enjoy the fenced in space (where you said the dogs are) and "let go" of the rest. Give yourself peace by letting go of the rest. Or you'll drive yourself crazy. As a long term solution, I hate to say it, but weigh the pro's and con's of living on St. Simon's Island. If the deers are weighing on you that much, you may be happier relocating somewhere else.

San Diego, CA

I share in your frustration because I have also tried everything to keep deer out of my garden with limited success. If you have an electricity supply to your garden then you might want to try the 8 foot inflatable aircrow it works really well. They sell a timer but not a motion detector so I made my own. My garden is small so it detects the deer when they come in and it turns the blower on and the scarecrow comes up. After a couple of time they quit coming. Just a thought.

Big freezer and a bow. It is silent.
But who could eat THAT much venison?

Plant a solid hedge around the front that is 6' high. Hide the fence in that.

You are allowed to hunt with a bow, but neither I nor my husband do that, and I can't seem to find anyone willing to come and sit at my house, but it would be easy pickings, if they did. Saw 3 large white-tails at about 9am yesterday morning on my driveway.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

you tried the urine?

I did try urine. And it works, to some extent. But then, even spraying almost every evening, I come out some morning and find damage. I kept a jar in the bathroom, and then each evening I would put it in my pump sprayer and spray around the edges of the beds and on the stuff that was most well liked by them. But again, sometimes they stayed away, sometimes they didn't. And the sprinklers came on each morning and washed most of it away, so I would do it again the next night.

Long thread...
Has anyone suggested the alarmed sprinkler deterrent? A wide area sprinkler, attached to a motion detector. Set a timer so it operates at night, and remember to turn it off if you are expecting guests.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

We live in area that the Ag Extension people say is too cold for an excess of dear, so this is probably not helpful to you. But here it is. We had a dear problem some years ago. We would see the dear in our yard. One day I told my husband there was a deer. It was maybe 50 feet from us after he came out. We'd run at it and it would back up and stay, 50 ft away. Finally my husband found some rocks and threw them until he hit the dear on the side. We could hear it hit. It certainly didn't do any permanent damage, but that's the last we've seen of deer on our property. I read somewhere that deer really don't like to be hurt, and will "spread the word."

Good luck!!

P.S. My brother-in-law in Connecticut had a TERRIBLE deer problem. He solved it by putting up a 12 ft fence. He's seen them just vault happily over anything lower.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2013 6:34 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Our yard backs up to a nice deciduous forest. Nice until the deer come into our yard! We solved the problem by using the electric fence. It's one line with small posts. The line blends into the forest, and you can't even see it unless you get quite close.

We don't have our front yard fenced. We live on a pretty busy street and the deer don't lurk around the front very often.

Telling a gardener to just give up is just distressful and upsetting. A gardener loves to be outside and enjoy the flowers and plants. Giving up is just not an option. It would make too big of a hole in one's life.

Hubby can either sit out with the bow and arrow or put up the fence, or pay someone else to put it up. It's really not that big of an investment. Having to spray urine every day is too much to ask of someone, but that goes to show how meaningful a garden is to one who loves a garden.

Homer, GA

Birder 17,

Congrats on your use of electric fence to ward off deer.I posted information on electric about six months ago and you are the first response i see that have actually used it. I travel extensively in
the Yukon and Alaska during the summer months and part of setting up camp is erecting our solar
powered electric fence.Our main problem is bears both black and grizzly, i have on occasion heard some very disgruntled bears,probably agood thing i dont speak their language as i am sure it would not be pleasant.On sites that are not attended on a daily basis we have also strung two wires,one at about two and a half feet and one at one foot.This will also deter procupines and racoons.Set up time on most locations approx 30 minutes.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, it's the easiest and most effective way to keep the deer away and disappears into the landscape.

Seems like my last post just stopped the discussion. Feel bad about that.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Don't feel bad about offering a solution that works.

świdnica, Poland

Try other way around. They come to eat - so let them eat! Pick a place somewhere on the edge, partially hidden, and set there a feeder, salt lick and maybe even put a pond-like "something" so they have water. If you feed them regularly they should stop eating your plants. Take your crass clippings and put them on a pile under a bush instead of compost. Leftover veggies from meals [raw or cooked - does not matter], weeds from the garden. You don't need fancy and expensive feed. Just make sure there is something there all the time. Sometimes in some shops you can get "leftover" veggies and fruits [damaged, partly rotten, some shops remove excess leafs from cabbage and cauliflower] - they work as good feed. Some farmers sell cheap apples, carrots, potatoes [small, damaged or not attractive in looks] - good winter chow. From what you say it looks like they are coming to your garden more for snack than food so it should work.
As for tics - patchouli and mint, and catalpa will help you with mosquitoes.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

The problem with feeding deer is that they do not stay and eat in one place, they are browsers. They move from one bush to another, right down the row or border. They eat the high branches and the low greens. I am afraid that attracting more deer would just be creating more of a problem. I don't won't to attract them, I love to see them, especially when they are bounding away!

No, do not feed the deer. You are inviting a whole host of problems. They are breeding grounds for ticks and fleas, and draw deer flies, horse flies, etc. And I didn't spend all my time and money on my landscaping and gardens to just stand back and watch the deer eat it all. I'm going to do all I can to keep them from eating everything.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.