How much rainfall do you usually get each year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 60 votes:

Over 50 inches (127 cm)
(15 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Between 30 and 50 inches per year (76cm to 127cm)
(25 votes, 41%)
Red dot

Between 15 and 30 inches per year (38cm to 76cm)
(8 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Fewer than 15 inches each year (38cm)
(12 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

West Kentucky averages just over 50 inches (127 cm) each year. Last year we only had about 32, which was a horrible drought, but we've made up the deficit this year and are running just about normal for 2013

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

In Charleston, SC we avg 52in/yr or roughly 1in/wk.

Since that's the recommended qty of water for most plants, I only turn my sprinklers on once or twice a year, only when we go several weeks w/o rain. We had a bit of a drought last year, too. Ours didn't begin as early in the year and run as long as that in the mid areas of the country, but it did get pretty crispy here in late summer. I haven't checked the official data, but I'm inclined to think we must have made up for it with the 'monsoons' we've been having all winter and spring. All winter whenever one of those winter storms would dump lots of snow across the country, we would get tons of rain.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

My city of Vancouver is known for rain and is classified as a Rainforest. 1,588 millimeter or 62.519 685 039 inches as per the weathernetwork's stats: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/summary/cl1108446/cabc0308 for downtown with increased precipitation as you move towards the mountains. Most rain falls between October and March, which I call the gloom & doom months, and it is not unheard-of to experience 2 weeks with non-stop rain. It is often expressed that we do not tan but rust in Vancouver. Both maritime influence and heavy cloud cover make for microclimates that mimic parts of the UK, Chile, etc. Plants that otherwise are considered terrestrial can sometimes become epiphytic as birds drop seeds in trees and Holly, Cotoneaster, etc take up root in the crotches of trees. I have often heard visitors stating how clean it is here but I guess if you live in a car wash for 1/2 the year, it would look clean.

Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

Houston's average is 49.7 inches, but that figure was calculated for the years 1981-2010. Since 2009 we have been way under average. 2011 (the year of the statewide severe drought) brought us only half the normal rain --- 24.5 inches. Last year was a little better at 35 inches, but still low. They are predicting this year will be another really bad year :(

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

What she said, rntx22. In the last 10 yrs I think Ive only seen one yr in which we got that 50 inches.

Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

The average rainfall in the Quingdom is only 17.45"/year. And for the past two years we've gotten less than 2/3 of that.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Average here appears to be around 40 inches a year. Last year was way less than that due to the drought but we have made up for it so far with spring rains.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Sigh- I cannot contribute to this query as I stay so very mobile! And dry! Personally, though I get to wade thru all kinds of weather

Thumbnail by kittriana
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

8.29" on 30 year average, and we've been in a drought for the past 12 years. We're at about 1/2 that at my house, but it will be mostly dry until mid-June, and then we'll hope to get some good rain during our monsoon season. Our driest period is Apr-Jun, when we average .5" total. In order to grow anything other than desert landscaping, I have almost everything on a timed drip system.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

we are the 15th wettest state believe it or not............... avg is 47"
but 2011 was the wettest at over 60"

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

The average rain fall in Wilmington, NC is 57.07". I live in Kure Beach, just South of Wilmington and I think we get less. Rain storms, which come from the West most of the time, follow the Cape Fear river, missing us and hitting Wilmington.
Barb

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I do not know right off hand how much we get. I voted for the 2nd choice. Luciee {;^)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi luciee. I found your annual rainfall at 56 inches as listed on this site: http://www.co.cullman.al.us/hanceville.htm

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Our average is 16 inches but more often than not we get less than that. Then once in a blue moon we get a whopper El Nino year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Usually 30 to 50 inches of rain, of course last summer for three months we got about a whole ,entire one-inch .
Interesting weather discussion here .Last year ended at about 26 inches I believe , it was a rather dry year. May &November were about the only that made average or better .
This year we are at 17.26 inches so far 8.23 for April , 8.62 is the all time historical record for April.
With a couple of chances of rain , it could be history in the making here .

May the wettest month , could be looking at a flood year , it is real close to being already ,(flooding rivers)

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 10:36 AM

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Last year it was under 5".

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Just over 50" for my area of Middle Tennessee. Had almost 2" in yesterday's storms.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you, growin. It is nice to know, because I have 2 grans in school who will need the info some day. What kind of plant is that in the picture? Luciee {;^)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

luciee, if you're asking about my photo, it is Agave parryi var. huachucensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/317336/ which I took at University of California Botanical Garden at Berkeley. I love the deep black of the spines and foliage edges. Agave parryi is surprisingly hardy and could probably grow where you are if you plant it with the crown sideways in full sun to prevent moisture build-up in the centre during the winter.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Last year I got less than 3 in. so far this year not even a trace. Super bad drought.

Greensboro, AL

http://coolweather.net/staterainfall/alabama.htm

Here is some general data for Alabama. I would say here in West-Central Alabama the average rainfall is closer to 70 in than 50. Usually a rain, often severe, at least a couple of times a week. There is hardly a chance to mow the grass before it is too wet to work outside.

Definitely, NOT a drought for the Gulf Coastal Plain.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Looks like we need to get a pipeline from Alabama to the Southwest and transfer some of that water. We could put in a few faucets for Texas.

Greensboro, AL

WormsLovSharon--would love to send some your way! What I notice here is more severe tornadoes and more rainfall. The rain causes mold, rot, erosion, and water damage to wood buildings. And it causes explosions in the invasive plants. Too much is not good!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Gloria, about the only invasive plant in Nevada and Arizona is the tumbleweed. And on the pollen side we are both high in ragweed pollen. I will have to look in plant files and see what ragweed looks like.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

From the Dakota's ,, or Mississippi would be more possible!! he, he ... (THE PIPELINE )^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Big storms with huge thunder boomers here last night - shook the entire house at times. My rain gauge topped out and overflowed at 6" for the day yesterday. Needless to say, everything is well-watered.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank you, growin. If I get one it will have to be in a pot. Today we are having rain fall in buckets. And wind. I love everyone. Luciee {;^)

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Our average is 44 inches, however recently it seems to come at the wrong times, LOL. Too much and then too little. We had a horrible drought last summer and we lost many of our plants. It was a really wet and early spring followed by a long drought, Impatiens got downy mildew and some long standing trees were very stressed.

Lake Helen, FL

Normally, this is Thunder Road, and we have no lack. Even in the summer of '98, when a good part of Volusia County and the State of Florida was on fire and Flagler County, to our north, was evacuated, we still had lakes. Look what we have now:

Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine
Magna, UT(Zone 7a)

Those were swamp lands? How sad. Very sad.
We average only around 16" of rain but three and a half times that in snow. We don't have swamps or lakes in walking distance but the Great Salt Lake has been shrinking over the years.

This message was edited May 1, 2013 8:24 AM

This message was edited Jun 24, 2013 9:13 AM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

this last year, my area got under 3"... sigh

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Palmbob, that's crazy only 3" last year!

We get about 41" here...

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

According to the nurseryman I met in Palmdale, 2.7" this last calendar year...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.