Celadon Poppy

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

One of the first flowers in my garden in the spring is the Celadon Poppy, a woodland native that blooms through June in my shady border.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Another favorite in my shady border - dicentra "Bleeding Heart"

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks great, LG.
But looks like you'd better cover him up, unless the radar is wrong.
Is it really going to snow in May? What's up with that?
I hope you don't get a hard freeze this late in the spring!
Good luck with the weather!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It is. I've covered my peonies with buckets, but I don't have enough for everything. I need a dome over the yard!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

What a nuisance! I hope it moves thru quickly for you!
Reminds me of a late snow last year after my japanese maples already fully leafed out.
I had bedsheets wrapping up everything in sight!
The joys of gardening!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Yes! Who'd think you'd be fretting because the tulips were wilting in 80 degree heat on Wednesday, then scrambling to cover everything because of snow on Thursday! Gardening in the Midwest is a challenge to the fainthearted!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Quite a stand of tulips! Really beautiful!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Our celandine poppy is very hardy and semi-invasive. It has multiplied by 4 in the last five years and certainly tells us spring is on the wing. Our shade garden is plagued by the roots of very old trees so that it is difficult to contain some plants.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I agree with the reseeding issue, but I've got a fairly large amount of woods,
so I don't mind the seeding about. They'll spring up in a crack in the driveway.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I covered the bleeding heart and celadon poppy to protect them from the freeze last week and both seemed to have survived (the poppy got kind of crushed - it's bigger than the flower pot I placed over it). If the forecast is to be believed, we're out of the woods. The weather will be mild this week and warmer next. This is the fourth year for the poppy in my shad garden. It has grown larger, but has shown no signs of becoming invasive - I sort of wish it would pop up under some of the bushes and trees to add some spring color!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Deadheading encourages reblooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.