Tibouchina

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Bought one last week, nice 3 gallon potted plant, full of blooms, healthy looking. In less than a week I seem to have stressed this poor thing out and it is dropping leaves. At first I put it in full sun but because of the heat, I thought, maybe I should have put it in partial shade, but I believe it was in full sun at the nursery. I've read articles but sometimes you just don't know who has wrote those silly things and the info is not very good.

I have it in the north facing entryway of my home now and I'm seeing a little greening. Is this plant finicky with watering? Shouldn't it be in full sun? There is nothing I find more disturbing than when I have an absolutely healthy plant go south on me in such a short time frame.

Your thoughts on the care of this gorgeous plant most appreciated.

Darren

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

that's unfortunate, such a beautiful plant! do you think maybe it's just the transplant shock stressing it? could it rebound?

i see them growing in all types of exposures, so i'm not sure. i also read that it needs full sun to perform the best.

Jacksonville, FL

Ours are in the ground, full sun. The cold will knock them down faster than the sun. Both of ours are in the sprinkler area and don't seem to mind the water. My neighbor did a better job of covering his during the last cold spell (his is also in the ground in full sun) and it's doing fine while ours dropped a lot of leaves due to the chill, but they're already bouncing back. They appear to me to be a fairly tough plant and well worth a blanket when Mr. Frosty visits.

Charlie

It is not dead yet, but certainly stressed. Sounds like it must have been the stress of changing locations. I try not to give too much love but you just never know, especially when it comes to watering.

Darren

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Got mine from "Wife of Plant_Thang" 5 years ago. Mine is planted in full sun and it does occasionally drop some of its leaves and look really pathetic but then pops back again . Every winter it freezes off. Come spring I whack it almost to the ground, and by Fall it is 3+ ft high & full of blooms. It bloomed all winter till that last freeze.

Hmmm, I wonder if the big change in the A/C car shocked it as we've been so warm here. About 80-85% of the leaves have dried out but I think it will pull through. Probably just shock, seen that so many times yet I can't ever get used to it, LOL.

Darren

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

They do drop leaves but usually come back strong. Don't give up on it.

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie, it is back in the sun and seems to be putting out new leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.