My Argentine Giant is messing with me !

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The last few days of cool days have slowed down the bloom cycle I fear . There are some 150 + blossoms near bursting and I have to go somewhere and fear I will miss the big night-morning . I have had a few blooms internitently over the last few weeks but this promises to be a massive show and I am likely to miss it . Lasy year I had 70 plus blooms in one night and this is going to dwarf that .

Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is tough! Too bad you can't postpone your trip, or set up cameras to record the whole event...

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh well , a few trichocereus and other pics to entertain you .

Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A few more around the garden .

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I can still hardly get over how gorgeous your place is, and how awesome the whole thing is - the plants, the animals, the owls...

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well Jackie , there is always next year , target 200 blossoms plus . My giant is now at this point is 11 plus feet in one direction and 6 to 7 feet across and growing . I still have a lot of others in different stages of bloom cycles . Lots of others that have'nt even started bloom cycles yet . Queen of the night are usually june , San Pedro mid - late summer . When you coming down to see it again ? Are the tree seedlings coming along ?

P.S.

Tucson Audubon was here Tuesday doing a bird count , the University of Pennsylvania is coming to do do vulture trapping/study supposedly first of June , so there are things going on .

This message was edited Apr 18, 2013 9:42 PM

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful, Doug!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Awesome Doug!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

TONIGHT , TONIGHT ,

Won't be just any night .

Tonight there be so many flowers ...............

Yep , you might guess, TONIGHT there WILL be a MASS profusion of blossoms.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well a few more pics , these next ones dedicated to Tristan . Tristan , this ought to excite you . I planted HUNDREDS of ocotillos , so many that they are now taking on the form of a living fence . Some leaves and blossoms are already forming on it . Fence is 60 feet long .

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nursery and potting areas.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The miserly Argentine giant only gave me 5 blossoms last night , that will change tonight .

Also some of the harrisia's went off last night .

Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver Thumbnail by lonediver
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

My hallway of columnars is taking shape.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Strolling around the garden .

Mesa, AZ

Where's the pond in all the amazing beauty?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Something over 110 blossoms are opening now , I WILL be up at dawn to have pics of this at thier full glory . Then I gotta bogey for the rest of the day . there is still going to be at least 50 more likely tommorrow (saturday night) . I'l try to get back for that as well . There are still a quanity of small undeveloped buds that are likely to straggle in over the next few weeks but this mass blooming occurs but once a season .

Gilbert, AZ

Beautiful!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

6:30 or so A.M. April 20th. There was something in excess of 110 blossoms this night/morning.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2013 8:32 PM

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

10:30 A.M April 21st . One can see some of the preceeeding night/days blossoms mixed with the new ones .

I lied there was WELL over 50 blossoms the second big night , we counted 134 but could have been off by a couple .

What count do you all get ?

This message was edited Apr 21, 2013 8:34 PM

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This evening it appeared like some 18 more were going to open but they look kind of sad mixed among all the depleted ones .

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Amazing.....

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fantastic Doug!
Love the fence too!! = )

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

are there any insects attracted to them at night bloom?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'll bet one of their pollinators are bats, and another being the Sphinx Moth. Am I right, oh knowledgeable one?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.