Hibiscus ID

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I posted this picture in both the Hibiscus and the ID forum and have not gotten any responses; so I thought I would pop the question to my wonderful Floridians.

I found this hibiscus at Lowes, simply labeled 3 gal. hibiscus and it has 2 different colored blooms. I have numerous types of hibiscuses and this one does something interesting. The leaves curl lengthwise. At first, I thought that maybe the plant was not properly taken care of at the store, but even after its been planted and given some TLC, the leaves still curl up.

Does anyone have an idea what type of hibiscus this is, cultivar or thoughts as to why the leaves curl?

Thumbnail by shauna1219
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

So many hybrids these days Shauna, and am sorry I can't help. They are pretty pictures of the flowers that appear to have amazingly thin ( almost transparent ) petals...

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was back at Lowes the other day and found 2 trees just like my bush. One tree was all white and the other had the pink blooms. Both had the same tag "hibiscus rosa-sinensis".

I was fairly certain it was a tropical hibiscus...guess I just got lucky with the two different blooms on the same plant.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

My neighbor has several Hibiscus shrubs from HD and Lowe's - they all have two colors of flowers - most likely because there's two different shrubs in one pot - it is a good marketing ploy to get you to buy.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Kay,

For people like me, that likes the variety...the marketing ploy works. LOL

If it was just one bloom type, I probably would not have bought it.

Shauna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.