Thimbleberry?

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I posted this on the plant identify thread but haven't got an absolute positive ID yet. I thought my PNW peeps would probably recognize this. It's coming up all over my yard alongside the blackberry shoots. Is it thimbleberry?

Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala Thumbnail by lynnala
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Yep, that looks like our native Rubus parviflorus (thimbleberry). It has a rather insipid berry, nice fall foliage. You may also find native Rubus spectabilis (salmonberry) which has tastier fruit in my opinion. Like the Himalayan blackberries, they thrive at the edges of woodlands. They are not as aggressive as the blackberries but will form thickets if left to their own devices. Both are easy to pull out by grabbing near the base.

Thimbleberry on left in fall, salmonberry blossom on right:

Thumbnail by bonehead Thumbnail by bonehead
South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Aha! Another night owl. I had also thought of salmonberry, as I've seen it on the Washington coast. I remember liking the taste of thimbleberries. It's growing everywhere, so perhaps I'll try to contain it in along edges of the yard here and there.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Ya caught me out. I sometimes have that insomnia where I know sleep is not coming back any time soon. I usually get up and read a book until I get drowsy, or sometimes surf the net. And pay for it the next day when I crash about 2:30 and have to take a nap.

Sounds like you are dealing with a large area of neglected land. I would encourage you to keep some of the native berries if you can work them into your overall plan. They are obviously attractants for birds, and offer some human snacks as well. Another one to keep your eye out for is the native huckleberries, which are the tiny red ones rather than the plump blues that eastern Washington gets (usually growing out of a cedar stump). And snowberries (I don't think they are edible for us but again the birds like them). I especially like the combo of snowberries with sword ferns at their feet.

South Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

My natural clock is up til 3 or 4am then sleep til 3 or 4pm. Fortunately I teach online so I can keep my own hours. I'm just having my morning cuppa right now!

I do plan on keeping as many natives as I can, blackberries included. There are tons of ferns here also, plus who-knows-what will pop up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.