This years sandhill crane family

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

They are very faithful about coming every year. They fledged 2 but usually only 1 makes it.

There was a time we had over 200 here in our pasture but times have change due to building houses nearby. They rarely go into upper pasture and stay in lower one that keeps them further away from people and homes.

Babies at this stage are red and cute as a button.

Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

How fun is that Bonnie!!! They are loving the bugs around those Cow patties no doubt. It looks like an African Savannah over there and GREAT pic's!

Thank for sharing!

David

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

They also eat the corn right out of the cow patties. That high grass is maiden cane and if the cows swim the canal and get out thats where they always go as they love to eat it. Once our BIG bull went over there but I got him back into pasture just by taking a pail full of food down to the corner and calling him back home. I was so afraid he would get into the road and cause a desaster but he came right back the same way he got out. He was 2,025 lbs. the day we sold him. He was born here and we kept him for 8 years. He was Charlies baby. Only reason we sold him was cause he ate as much as 2 cows and cow feed is expensive. We still have a bull but no where near his size. His name was Bubba.

David, when I saw your chicken pen that also brought back good memories. I had RI reds for eggs and cornish cross for meat. Glad you have them.

Bonnie

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i agree David it does look like Africa! they're cute at that age, but i am not the hugest fan of their early morning calling - they only seem to do it on Saturdays. they can be so destructive with their digging!
so great that they have a great place to raise their young in your pasture Bonnie!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I am sad to report that today all we saw was the male & female no babies. Sometimes they hide them but this has been 2 days so thats not a good sign. If I see them again I'll let ya'll know.

Can you imagine the sound when we used to have 200 here. I loved it and they used to nest sometimes on floating island in the middle of our canal until the gators came around.

Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Bonnie I hope the babies come back, I know you told me Sat. that you had not seen them. They are so cute. Glad I found the photos.

-Sherri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.