Flooring for GH on 2nd story wood deck

Spring City, TN

The deck has gaps between boards, so the wind will whip right into the GH. I'm pretty hand with tools, so any suggestions for building a GH floor on top of the deck -- insulated, weather proof, and water proof.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

I wonder if you could use rigid insulation, then put a pool liner on top of that, and add tiles on top of the pool liner.

Clinton, IN

What about rigid insulation and linolium,probably not spelled right. Fred

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Great idea, Fred. Easy cleanup, too.

Fort Worth, TX

if you use tiles in the greenhouse, I'd be sure they are textured. (I tried some old bathroom wall tiles once, and the slip sliding is dangerous when water gets spilled.)

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I put plywood on top of my flooring and going to add linolium on top of that. the temp dropped down to 50 in there last night with the heat lamp on. I am going to try a heater in there tonight. It is suppose to get to the low 70's today but temps are going to start dropping again. Does it hurt for the temp to fluckuate like that. It is already up to 80 in there today with the sun coming out. Just dont know about the temps. New to this

Sami

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Sami, there have been numerous posts about air circulation, and if possible, you will want to pull those up for the good information there. Though we got down to 26 F this morning in NE Mississippi (if you haven't gotten these extreme cold temps, you will!) and it will only warm up to about 50 today. With the sun out, the GH's will get up around 70, but that's about it. Regardless of how hot or how cold, all my fans (4 per greenhouse) come on at 9:00 AM in the winter months and will run until 4:00 PM. In the warmer months, the fans will run from 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Air movement if critical when growing tropical plants. If your greenhouse gets into the 80-90's, you definitely need a fan going.

Ken

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

Ken

I only have tiny greenhouse recycled from my grandsons playset so I am just trying to keep a few things freezing in there and want to start a few seeds

Sami

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have an 8' x 18' green house on a deck with removable polycarbonate walls for summer and an extra plastic liner for winter. There's a few extra unheated square feet where I grow cool growing plants or store dormant plants. I designed it and built it with my SO. The walls are painted 1" x 3" wood frames with the polycarb attached. I used six mil. plastic on the deck boards and a good grade of indoor outdoor carpet (but still under a dollar a s.f.). It was supposed to be a temporary solution but four years later is working perfectly. I inspect the plastic and decking below each summer. I've had accidental floods a few times and was able to remedy the situation with a carpet shampooer to extract the water. Water goes on the floor but recycles in the air and humidity stays at 60-80%. If it goes higher I open the doors on to the house solarium that adjoins the family room and enjoy the extra humidity. I water almost daily. That said, aside from a small collection of hoyas, all my plants are orchids and most are mounted specimens. The watering is automated for when I am away but otherwise I hand water. There are two small heaters and fans. Temperatures are stable enough to grow and bloom finicky hot species orchids though we have many below freezing days. Including two pics from November, 2011.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Good looking GH, Laurel, and what a great view from your house. You have some really large, healthy plants there. It looks like you are a Vanda/Cattleya Alliance gal.

Ken in Mississippi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.