What is this?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

This isn't the way the blooms look, so I'm wondering if this is a seed pod?

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is Stapelia variegata, but if this a seed pod it's been developing since last November...

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 9:26 PM

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

I did a quick google search and these are seed pods. Leave them on the plant to mature and when ready, they'll open up to reveal seeds that remind me of milkweed seeds.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wonder if I should put pantyhose over them? Since they bloomed last October/November they're taking a long time to form. At first I thought it was a deformed stem or something.

Phoenix, AZ

How cool!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

From the picture I saw, it doesn't look like they burst open so I'd wait until you see a seam starting to open.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

So far the pods are just getting bigger, and more striped.

Mesa, AZ

When it is ripe, it will burst open when you least expect it. I missed it popping and only got a couple seeds from the first seed. The 2nd one I put a small brown bag around and poked a couple peep holes. Then I got all the seeds. The sprout really easily and will be true to the specie, unless another, different stapelia was blooming at the same time and they cross-pollinated. When they come up, they are so cute, 'cuz they look like itty-bitty stapelias!

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

Susie is right they pop open when you least expect it and they are gone with the wind!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Then as they say at the morgue, "Bag 'em and tag 'em.".

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmm... Huernia dragon flower was blooming around the same time, as was Stapelia gigantea

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

The seed pods have gotten a lot bigger... and I've found another one that seems to be just now forming...

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ

Hey that's like the one you gave me at the swap :)

Gilbert, AZ

That's cool! I've never seen a seed pod before, just the blossoms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.