Need a name for a plant.

Tarpon Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I was at a nursery today and they had the most fragrant plant. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know the exact name, several were thrown at me and now I can't remember any of them. The plant looked very similar to a sweet almond bush but wasn't as woody, perhaps more green growth and purportedly will grow even larger. The fragrance was even stronger than the sweet almond bush, very strong grape smell. I have a sweet almond and am very familiar with its scent.

Supposedly it is in the same family as the sweet almond bush.

Anyone?

I would have bought the plant but they didn't have any potted, the specimen I saw was planted and quite large.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Can you go back and take a picture, then post it here?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

What color was the flower. Was the flower big or small.

Kay, it is a two hours drive, so I only go that way every couple of months. Garden, it looks almost idenitcal to a sweet almond bush, I could not discern a difference other than it had a different fragrance. Little white blooms and large growth, long velvety leaves but it was stronger in fragrance.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, check out Grand Duke Arabian Jasmine and other Jasmines.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

When you said long velvety leaves I immediately thought of tibochina but that blooms clusters like wisteria. I had one but it died from the cold one year. Would love to find another.
]
Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Could it be a sweet olive?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1450/

Erin

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

When RF said it smelled good, I immediately thought of a osmanthus(tea olive) as well. I have them all over my yard. I have one by every door and any window I open, one coming into the garage. There is nothing very good looking about them, but the fragrance is certainly up there with honeysuckle and citrus blooms, and it blooms alot of the year. I then discounted that idea as it certainly doesnt have long velvety leaves. Im sure curious tho, as fragrance in the garden really 'floats my boat'.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I must have missed the velvety leaves. Perhaps a banana magnolia? I know the buds are fuzzy, but not really the leaves I don't think.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1187/

I love my sweet olive. I need more of them.

Erin

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

O.K.,

I look at every thread and on plant identifications usually don't answer (unless a picture is included especially) unless I know an answer.

So I'm going against my usual and doing just that! I wish I could help Retired, and a picture might help me help you...

...See what I'm saying. I just talked and offered nothing! HaHaHa! Good luck on finding out!

Thanks Everyone especially Dave,LOL, the blooms were very similar to Sweet Almond, long blooming stems with little flowers. I'm just going to have to call the nursery back and ask them. I know exactly where the plant was on their property and envision the large 10'wide by 12' tall bush. I've looked at jasmines banana magnolia but blooms too big. The leaves on a tibouchina and stems are pretty similar if it comes in white? Not sure how big they get tho.

Darren

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My tibochina was purple clusters like wisteria with large velvety leaves but I don't remember any fragrance at all. Cold killed it one winter. Would love to find another.

I sure hope you find out what it is cause you have us all in suspence.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, there are a couple of nurseries here in Tampa that often carry tibouchinas...Manny's on the Bay Plants and Pine Lake Nursery (we found a tibouchina tree at Pine Lake).

Shauna

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its called a Tibouchina grandiflora. This was mine last August 2012;... Almost lost it in Winter even though wrapping it well. It is coming back strong now from the base with 12 or so stalks.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Looking at David's makes me miss mine even more. Looks great David.

Shauna, does that nursery ship?

Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.