Fringe tree

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Anybody know if they will grow in zone 9A???
Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure that the Chionanthus virginicus would, but the 'Chinese' Fringe Tree, C. retusus will/should.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

The Grancy Greybeard, as it is commonly known in the south, is also called the Fringe tree. This white, feathery flower completely covers bare, gray branches, in late spring, after most other flowering trees have finished there carnival of flowering.

During the two week blooming period, the Grancy Greybeard flowers emit a sweet lilac scent, especially in the evening. The small Flowering Grancy Greybeard tree sheds its 6-8 inch-long leaves in the fall after turning a bright yellow color.

This plant can occur as a male or female sexed tree, or both sexes may occur on the same tree. At maturity the plant will grow slowly to 30 foot heights.

The botanical name for the one I grow is Chionanthus virginicus.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for all the info. Not sure I will buy one as don't think its cold enough here for it. Florida Mag. had pic. in there and I just thought it was beautiful. Two weeks blooming isn't much but I love fragrent plants.

Think I had better pass on this one.

Thank you again I appreciate your thoughts.

Bonnie

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, with all due respect (you know I love you!), I disagree with you. I agree with Floridata, who says it does well to zone 10:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/chionan.cfm

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm growing one in zone 9b. It's still a baby, as I've only had it a couple of years. It's fringing right now, in fact!

Melanie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yippey--OK that means I should try one. GREAT.

BTW Kay don't be so apologetic, I'm not that touchy. Sometimes I disagree with me. Laugh its good for you.

Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well that is good to hear…I had a "nursery person" tell me that the C.virginicus wouldn't do well…but after seeing your responses, I might just try it as well. They are beautiful!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I found one for a friend in Jax at a lady's home Native Garden business over in Ortega. Just Googled old mans beard tree.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie, I have several growing in my yard. Mine is blooming now too. It's a native you know. :)

Erin

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've seen them in my area also. Tried to get one last year but could not find any for sale.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Jean, I bought mine at http://floridanativeplants.com/

Melanie

Thanks Melanie.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Jean,
The lady who runs that nursery in her front yard is very personable and will give you an informative tour lf she is not too busy.
Last year Jeremy went for a UNFG (?) tour there.
She too is a transplant from up north and wanted Florida Natives, so she ended up with this business and also landscapes for others.
;)

Hi Sidney. That is a bit far to drive for a decent size tree...................then how to get it back home.

I just got a contorted Mulberry. Hopefully it will keep me happy. Think I want more fruit trees. Picked some tiny orange fruit that tasted like lemons yesterday. Can't remember what they called them. Ate peel & all. I think I need a tree of those.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

They were Calamondins Jean. Pat gave me a jar of her Calamondin preserves last year and it was the best marmalade type jam I've had.

They were very popular citrus trees here in Florida in the 50's and 60's. Everybody had one and I don't know how they didn't stay popular.

I'm sure there's is a nursery up there that has a few, and the upside is they seem to be a little more freeze hardy then many other citrus trees.

Thanks David. I just spent most of the afternoon re-potting "babies". Got 6 pots, 5 nice size each, of the Amaranth from the 1 pot. They are sitting in the GH with some other babies I moved to larger pots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.