Better Lupin for Northern NJ gardening: Russell or Rainbow

Sparta, NJ(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know the difference between a Russell Lupin (polyphllus) vs. a Rainbow Lupin (regalis)? They look similar, I'm wondering if one is better suited to mid-Atlantic gardening over the other? Looking at an area that has part shade with some summer humidity- mildew resistance a plus?

Many thanks for any and all input.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

the Regalis is a hybrid but same genus as Polyphyllus but just a different species, both can grow in NJ
Doesn't look like Lupines are mildew resistant, except 'Thomas Church' is listed on Annie's Annuals a mildew resistant

Sparta, NJ(Zone 6a)

Many thanks- been trying to get that from Annie's for the past two years and have not been successful. The garden centers seem to go with the Russell Hybrids, so I guess I'll give them a go until I can find the Thomas Church.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gallery White is available now at Annie's and they say that one is mildew resistant also

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I wintersowed Russell's lupines last year. They actually germinated very nicely and I gave a lot of them away, but they didn't bloom and kind of disappeared in the summer heat. The leaves are looking very pretty right now and I'm hoping for some blooms this year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.